Dora Wings 1/48 Seversky P-35A

Started by Tom Cleaver · 20 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is the kit I was really looking forward to in the shipment from Dora Wings, given the good job they did on the P-43, and I haven't been disappointed.

The kit is issued as the Swedish J-9. As issued it makes up into one of the planes used for neutrality enforcement during the war, with the oversized Swedish markings provided on a very nice decal sheet.

I, however, had other game in mind with this kit.

The P-35A was distinct from the original P-35 in having additional armament in the form of a .50 caliber machine gun in each wing to supplement the two .30 caliber weapons in the nose. Originally, the Swedes order 120 of these improved P-35s in 1949, but only 60 were delivered before the reat were taken over by the US Army Air Corps in the fall of 1940. Most of the 60 airplanes were sent on to the Philippines in February 1941, to replace the ancient P-26s that the 17th and 3rd Pursuit Squadrons were operating at Clark Field. The airplanes arrived still equipped with their Swedish instrumentation and the erection manuals in Swedish. The first became operational in April.

As things progressed in the Far East during 1941, Japanese intentions toward the Philippines became clearer, and in the general rearmament, the Philippines were reinforced starting in August, when the first shipment of P-40Bs arrived, as well as the personnel of the 34th Pursuit Squadron. The 3rd PS got the P-40Bs, which didn't have oxygen or their .50 caliber nose guns. In September, P-40Es began arriving and were taken over by the 17th PS, who passed the P-35Bs on to the 34th PS. Through all of this, no pilot ever got training in shooting the guns his fighter was equipped with, due to a shortage of .50-caliber ammunition.

Among the pilots who arrived that summer was 2nd Lieutenant Lamar Gillet, who graduated from flight school in June and was assigned to the 17th squadron in September. As the most junior 2nd Lieutenant in the Philippines, he got to build time in the P-35 while the others learned the P-40E.

In October, the airplanes lost their prewar polished aluminum look, as the upper surfaces were spray painted with Olive Drab paint, "right over everything on the airplane, with no primer," as Lamar recalled. The Philippine monsoon doesn't end until around mid-November, and when one of the P-35s was flown through a rain storm "it came out looking like it had already been in a war" with the driving rain peeling off paint.

Lamar finally got to transit to the P-40E just before Thanksgiving, but he still liked the P-35A. When war came on December 8, the air force in the Philippines was quickly cut to pieces. On December 10, Lamar was included in the one group-size strike the 17th attempted, but his airplane was stolen by 1st Lt. Joe Kruzel; in the event, half the airplanes didn't come back, though Kruzel did because he had to abort with a bad engine.

On December 17, Lamar was sent to Iba Airfield to pick up a P-40E, but it had been destroyed by Japanese strafing an hour before he got there. Word came of a Japanese landing in Lamon Bay, and a call went out for volunteers to fly the airworthy P-35As in an attack on the invasion force. There were only four volunteers, including Lamar, and as it turned out only two of the P-35As would start, his and one flown by 1st Lt. John Anderson. The weather was poor and when they got off, Anderson kept trying to take wing position on Lamar, thinking he was the Captain who had been put in charge of the mission.

They arrived over Lamon Bay and found a very busy invasion going on. "We made one strafing pass, and Anderson's airplane took hits and he turned away." As Lamar climbed away from his strafing run, all of a sudden a Zero popped out of the cloud deck above, right in front of him. "I was really surprised. He didn't see me and I got on his tail and let him have it. I was so green I kept firing as I followed him down till he crashed in the bay just after I used up the last of my ammo." Lamar Gillet was the only P-35A pilot to ever shoot down an enemy airplane.

Back at base, things were still confused. Lamar barely missed being shot down by the anti-aircraft guns manned by the New Mexico National Guardsmen "they shot at everything that flew and were far more dangerous to us than the enemy was."

Eventually, Lamar and his P-35 ended up at Bataan air field, where the plane had an engine problem. He became an infantryman. Sometime after that, the airplane was fixed and taken by 1st Lieutenants Thomas J.J. Christian and Joe Kruzel, who flew it to Mindanao where they caught a B-17 that took them to Australia. Kruzel became leader of the Green Dragon Flight of the 49th Fighter Group while Christian eventually commanded the 67th Fighter Squadron at Guadalcanal, and both ended up after their Pacific tours in the 361st Fighter Group, where Kruzel succeeded to command after Christian was shot down over France in August 1944.

Lamar was one of "the battling b a s ta r d s of Bataan." He eventually survived the Bataan Death March and three years as a slave laborer in Japan.

For the 40 years after the war, Anderson was credited with having shot down the Zero, but the AFAA finally recognized Lamar's achievement in 1989 (but don't tell the Aviation Hystericalistory Hex-Spurtz, because the copy-and-pasters are still publishing Anderson as the victor as late as the Squadron In Action book on the P-35 back in 2003). I had the good fortune to meet Lamar when he came out to Planes of Fame in 1997 and did an interview with him that ended up an article in Flight Journal in 1999, and Lamar's story is told in full in my book "I Will Run Wild".

So, this P-35A is going to be made as what might have been the airplane Lamar was flying on December 17. Nobody knows what its number was, all Lamar knew was "it was the one that worked when I climbed in."

Fortunately, I was going to do his airplane with the Wolfpack re-release of the Hobbycraft P-35A, but when I found out Dora Wings was doing the kit, I put that on hold. The good news is, you can toss your Hobbycraft kits - at least if accuracy matters. This kit does everything right that the earlier kit does wrong. The extra parts Wolfpack included and the decal sheet for Philippines P-35As are real helpful though.

Like the MB 152, it's a "high-end/limited-run kit." Pay attention to the latter and you will achieve the former.

I used the Wolfpack details such as the photoetch seat and the seatbelts and the instrument panels to improve the very nice cockpit Dora Wings has here.

With care in cleaning up parts, the model assembles nicely if you take your time and test fit test fit test fit. I had to trim the elevators so they would fit to the horizontal stabilizer so I could droop them, sanding off just a bit of the inner edge to get things to open up enough to move them. The engine took some fitting and I ended up using Evergreen rod for details since the parts are really fragile and getting some of them off the sprue is close to impossible. If you do this, be sure to put that baggage compartment door on before attaching the fuselage halves together, because you have to trim it to fit and you want to be able to work it from both sides to get it right.

The wing and fuselage sub-assemblies fit nicely. I rubber banded the wing around the tops to bring it in tight against the upper fuselage joint. When it set, all was in proper position and I didn't have to use any filler. With care in assembly, I didn't have to use filler anywhere other than to fill the gap around the windscreen where it attaches to the fuselage.

More to come.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great and quick start, Tom @tcinla.
    Those added cowl flaps look very nice.
    Looking forward to the build of this beautiful aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Sure looks like a huge improvement over that old Academy/Hobbycraft kit, although I enjoyed building that kit for what it is. Wish one could purchase that PE set separately or can you? Love those yellow rubber bands.

• Profile Photo

Continuing on:

Photos of the model after the rubber bands were taken off and the canopy was installed. I will keep the center section unglued, since it is thin enough to pose open.

As you can see, I didn't attach the baggage compartment door earlier when it would have been easier. As it was, since I had to sand down the edges of the door to fit, I scraped the edge of the opening to angle outward, while scraping the edge of the door inward, so it wouldn't accidentally get popped inside when I was attaching it. Thus I speak from experience when I say that if you are doing this kit, attach the door before further assembling the fuselage.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the advice Tom.
    As always, you are progressing rapidly and nicely.
    Looking forward to the final stages.

• Profile Photo

Here's the other "supervising producer," Miz Molly B'Golly.

Molly is 8, and is the last cat I will raise from kitten to old age, given my age. She and her brother and sister were the last feral litter we domesticated, since their mother got killed by a car out on the busy street we lived on then about four months later, the morning I was going to bring her inside that evening, having convinced her she should come in and be with her kids. The kittens were captured at age six weeks, just after they were weaned - the moment a feral can be caught and easily domesticated.

Molly took to domestication and became The Kissing Kitty. She loves to jump in my lap, then leap up, give me a hug, then lean in and lick my cheek. She spends most of her time within six feet of me unless I am out of the house. She definitely takes the prize for Sweetest Little Sweetheart Ever. Bastet the cat goddess saved the best for last. She looks really elegant, in her white boots and gloves.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

In the meantime, I've painted the model with Vallejo aluminum. This looks so good, and since I have the Wolfpack decals for two P-35As in the prewar scheme, I am really tempted to do it that way. We'll see when I do the decals.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Tom - Man, you are zipping right along with this build. Did you lay down black primer first?

Didn't realize you're such a "Catman". Ever lost any models to the fur people?

• Profile Photo

Yes, you always put down black primer for Vallejo metallics. I always use Tamiya X-18 Semi-gloss Black, thinned 50-50 to get a nice smooth coat.

The cats have all learned that they can get away with murder everywhere else, so long as they don't violate the only NO! at Le Chateau du Chat: leave the models alone.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Wow! Your usual warp speed quality build, my friend @tcinla!
    Loved reading Mr Lamar's story, also looks you have a great QC auditor there!
    Thanks for info on the kit, all those advices are really helpful in avoiding minefields.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Impressive paintwork, Tom @tcinla.
    Difficult to keep up the pace to follow each of your steps.
    It is good to have animal friends around, they always seem to be able to give you the correct attention.
    Molly seems to be a perfect example for that.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looks good, Tom. Your NMF looks really nice. I thought the plane only had a landing light in the port wing. Hobbycraft included none, and Dorawings gives us two?

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great natural metal finish, Tom (@tcinla). I love these between the wars/early WW2 fighters. I have heard great things about this kit.

• Profile Photo

Finished. I chickened out about mucking it up with the camouflage and kept it as a flight-leader's plane in the 17th Pursuit Squadron, circa spring/summer 1940, using the Wolfpack Details decals, which are very nice indeed. The canopy can be posed open, and according to photos, what I did posing it open is what they looked like originally. I prefer keeping the canopy closed, but am maintaining the option.

Full review at Modeling Madness this Thursday.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looks amazing Tom! I’ve always admired the look of the P-35 and yours looks great in the NMF. ‘Fur sure’ a 4-paw’s up from your supervisor Miz Molly.
    Quick question, which white paint did you use fir the front cowling? I’m guessing it was painted prior to the black primer.