Eduard Spitfire Mk.Ia, 1/48. A Pair of Kiwis.

Started by Harvey R. · 114 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Battle of France, Dual-combo, Dunkirk, Eduard, RAF, Spitfire, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Great progress and save on the filmdamage! (did you check out the eduard newsletter I linked to? - tutorial will be available later)

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Decals look great, whether by accident or skill, result is great. Stencils came out great.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

To me the decals looks great, Harvey.
    You definitely did a great job, also on the rescue part.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

All looking great to me as well, Harvey!

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 3 years ago:

Not a lot to update at the moment, but the last of the decals got added to the Spitfires.

Next up is a day for clear coats, and then we can give it a wash. This should prove to be good as all those lovely riveted details will shine.

Also, I really need to work on the little parts. Including getting the undercarriage finished, as the wheels have to be cut in half to fit in the wells.

In other news it's been payday, an naturally some modelling companies are happy. Some aftermarket has been purchased for Tamiya Corsairs including a full resin detail set (something I have no experience using), currently I'm writing a list and checking it twice for paints required for an F-14B which is eyeing up to be the next model selected from the stash to recieve some attention.

Erik, I checked out that newsletter a couple of days ago! It's interesting as I swear in December or January they said they didn't recommend it in their newsletter. A tutorial will be nice, but I find it very ironic that Eduard, the company that produces tonnes of Photoetch and Resin which they happily throw into their profipack kits, think that removing a carrier film on a decal to require more experience and care than 95% of their aftermarket products.

• Profile Photo

Your Spitfires look very good with all decals applied, Harvey!
    Well done on your aftermarket purchases!
    Indeed, Eduard situation with the decal film handling advice, sounds "interesting".
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo

Very impressive looks already, Harvey.
    That F14 will be complete different order.

• Profile Photo

Harvey - that is a stunning pair - and I keep thinking of the propmounts! I simply have to go there one day. Indeed the decalsaga is one that stir the mind! i have a few sheets with removeable film from HGW, some are full authorised copies of eduard sheets, so I suppose some shared info may be there, or perhaps they parted paths? Time will tell. Really looking forward to the weathering and last details on your fantastic spits @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo

I sure hope they didn't share info Erik! I tried HGW decals on my last model and they were a disaster! The decals in this kit worked far better as removable film ones than my (admittedly limited) experience with HGW.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Paint and decals are awesome, Harvey (@scalerambush). The discussion on the decal film is interesting. I looked around on the internet and Youtube for info and everything seems to be split down the middle between those that say it works and those that say it is an accident and impossible to control. Hopefully more info down the line.

• Profile Photo

@scalerambush, sorry to hear your experience with HGW - I have a few sheets in my stash I want to try. Guess it will be on a paintmule first!

• Profile Photo

I've now completed the Spitfires, I wanted to go for a real well worn look. Or more accurately, a pulled up from a French farmers field look.

Nah I'm joking, but the first stage of weathering is always the wash. I won't be going too heavy with weathering on this one and will do only a little bit of chipping, particularly on panels and the wing root. Overall the weathering process shouldn't take too long on this one as I'm not planning on going as much as some previous builds.

Naturally though it will get a quite oily Merlin engine. Quite a lot of Battle Of Britain Spits had extremely well weathered exteriors, with oils staining a large part of the underbelly, but this is Dunkirk and the first operational use of the Spitfire so they won't be at that level yet.

So far I've removed some of the Florymodels (clay and water) wash from KL-Bs wing, as well as the underside of both Spitfires. The camera has a bit of trouble on the underside as I can't get the black looking too bright without the white becoming blinding, but the black side did recieve a more medium grey colour mix instead of this dark brown colour.

• Profile Photo

What a great effects, Harvey.
    They will look fantastic in the end.
    Even the close-up shows perfection.

• Profile Photo

Amazing weathering, Harvey!

• Profile Photo
    David D. said 3 years ago:

Awesome stuff. Really like nice finish.