F2H-4 Banshee 1/32

Started by Steve Oakson · 1 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Steve Oakson said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

This is the Tigger vacuform. The outline is fairly decent, but as with all vacuforms, you need to correct them in certain areas.

-I used three different books for research information: Naval Fighters No 2 and 91 by Ginter and Detail and Scale Vol 4.

-Anyz detail parts were used in the cockpit for instrument and side panels, Airscale instrument decals and from by decal collection to add addional input to instrument panel and side panels. I still have minor details to add and finish modifications to an ejection seat.

-In order to work on the cockpit area, I first constructed the floor, side and instrument panels. The fuselage was glued together and the initial cockpit was installed after cutting out “windows” on right and left side of the fuselage. This allows for positioning to be corrected. Then side panels were detailed and widths corrected. Painting and decals followed. Cutout were fitted and returned to their positions.

-Nose wheel well was cut out and boxed in. Initial detailing done

-Wings, stabilizer, drop tanks were made up, intakes and exhausts cutout and details added. Wheel wells were cutout and initial detail done. Wings were mounted. Stabilizers were added, and elevators and rudder cut away and repositioned.

-Filling and sanding episode were numerous. Tamiya grey primer applied. Then more filler and sanding done. Get the picture? Yes, lots of time involved. Gunports, and fuselage cutouts done.

• AK radome tan and Dark sea blue sprayed and sanded down problem places after spraying

-windscreen added, filled, sanded and masked. Mr. Hobby insignia red was sprayed around the canopy area and fin/rudder. Made my own mask for the large P, decals from different sheets were used for stars, numbers and lettering in other areas.

-Landing gear and struts/wheels added. Still have wiring to add.

-Corogard added to flying surfaces and drop tanks with AK white aluminum paint. This took a good deal of tape to get masking done

-Lightning bolts were cut from clear decal sheet that had been sprayed white and then red to eliminate any translucency issue

-This is where I am at. Have a good bit of work left to do, but someone had asked some pictures. Not very good but they’re here.