Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks, Morne. Squadron do a 1/48 vac formed canopy (comes with a Sperry Ball Turret) at a very reasonable price so I'm in for that. I'll have to adjust the frame around the canopy though and hope it'll all work out. The 'hot needle' trick was a great technique and the next time I do it I just need to be a little more subtle...

Anyhoo - thanks for the comments and on-going support.

• Profile Photo

Peter, you are so right about the perfectionism, I've seen kids become slaves to it for just the most fleeting of moments where they almost feel ok. Thanks for contributing, it means a lot that you take the time to connect.

• Profile Photo
    said 5 years, 9 months ago:

David. You have certainly contributed to upping the level yourself. This build is up there. Keep at it. Great stuff.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

The "rattle can approach" might just be the ticket for you David... and "Ye Olde Pub" is really starting to look the part...

Well done my friend.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis. Well, I came home last night to two packages from the good ole USA. The first was this...

And the second, and much more important was this from @davidathomas

My very good friend David Thomas (professor, gentleman, and wildly talented iModeler who is a credit to the community and the hobby) sent me these 'propblur' products not only for the the B17, but for the Gustav also. These brilliant products will add to this project hugely, adding an important sense of dynamism to the pose of both aircraft. Generosity, friendship, and kindness beyond words. I am looking forward (this weekend, hopefully) to doing this wonderful gift justice.

Thank you, David.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Paquette said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Love these projects that tell a story. Some pretty inspirational work for me being done here.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 9 months ago:

You're making me blush, David. I'm looking forward to seeing this masterpiece completed more than ever!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Wow David, this absolutely starts looking the part! I like the base too, can't wait to see this build progress further my friend!

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Michael @smrjpaqu899 - I VERY much appreciate the support and look forward to you sharing some of your work here on iModeler.

• Profile Photo

Michel, great to hear from you. I like the base too (thanks to Greg K for the inspiration, wish I could claim the idea), although I'm struggling to get the wood to 'fit' the scene and find a point of reference to bind it with the work. I tried rubbing in some gun oil but it just picked out every imperfection in the wood. I'll think of something.

Hope all's well with you, my friend. England and Belgium in the WC Final?

• Profile Photo

Yep, I think so too, in which case and given our relationship here, I would not really care who wins! It's just a game, however nice!

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Hello David @dirtylittlefokker , how are you?
    It's been a bit quiet here. Hope all is well.

• Profile Photo

Today is the moment! Kane against Lukaku!

• Profile Photo

Peter, I just haven't been modeling much recently. As happens to every modeler, and without any warning at all, real life abruptly happened and I've had to abandon the Fort and do more grown up stuff for a while. Times like this you realise what the hobby gives to you. Maybe I'm just missing the glue.

I'm hoping (ab)normal service will be resumed soon, thanks a bunch for checking in, @tecko - I really appreciate that.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Good to know that you're okay. Looking forward to seeing your (ab)normal self soon 🙂