Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Gentlemen, your support and good wishes are deeply appreciated. However, a well struck 5 iron would reach our new house from where we are at the moment - so not too stressful. I'm looking forward to making a new bench - and boy, do I have the materials...

This is the only real building (more accurately 'unbuilding') I'm getting at the moment. The big day is two weeks on Wednesday, after which I'll have some time off work and get some time making the bench and working ON it.

I very touched by all your kind words. Even though you are all a bit bonkers.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 9 months ago:

David, something tells me you are coming out on the better side of things. Possibly a much larger bench and space? I'm thinking you might need to submit drawings to the iModeler Architectural & Engineering Department for thorough review and approval.

A 5 iron, huh...that's a game for Kings and Crazy people. Sounds like you just might be in your element. Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Just move those models with the utmost of care. I had to relocate TWICE in five months and it really is a stressful undertaking. Good luck David.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Yes please be careful during this move. I had several of mine get damaged during our last one.

I'll bet you are excited to be building up a new work bench. I would be. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 8 months ago:

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

That must be some serious paint with a "long" drying time... or some very bad fumes ! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Good one Peter... Don't paint yourself into a corner, unless you have a sandwich and something to drink...

• Profile Photo

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks for all the kind words of support through this move. Boy, have I needed them. However, despite the misgivings, I have a new home for my hobby, managing to create a little space away from the often desperate cruelty of ‘reality’. It’s taken a few days but despite the injuries, hostile environment, soul searching over the meaning of the struggle, and disputes from the higher ranks (the wife), here is where we are...

Things I’ve found that I hate about moving.

1. My wife belly laughing at how much stronger my 23 year old son is than me.

2. My wife laughing even harder at my 16 year old son outlifting me.

3. When I said I wanted a house near the water I didn’t realise it’d all be in the basement.

4. Worrying about what my new modeling space in the ‘Summer House’ will feel like in ‘Winter’.

5. Not actually modeling.

6. The groin injury (no, seriously, try pulling the Inguinal Ligament falling out of an attic; childbirth is a walk in the park).

7. My sons’ slightly concerned faces as they say “ it’s ok Dad, we’ll take care of the heavy stuff”.

8. The shoulder injury. Torn rotator cuff; the only pain that can outpain a pulled Inguinal ligament.

9. Everything.

Now that feels better, got it off my chest a little. Catharsis through ‘social scale modeling’.

• Profile Photo

Sounds like a making for a great social diorama.
    Glad to have you back in the modelling chair.
    The new workshop looks good, but I have a question. Do you have telescopic legs or something?
    I can see a sabotage about to happen under the workbench.

• Profile Photo

Peter, the storage under the bench is purely temporary and the plan is in its infancy with the workspace. Including this gorgeous espresso machine to while away the plastic hours.

Telescopic legs? Great idea and I certainly have the tools around here for a little self surgery...I sense a whole new career opening up, or possibly too much coffee.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Yee haa, the great DLS is back! Happy to see you preparing for some real benchtime David! Best from Belgium!

• Profile Photo

Michel, it is a true pleasure to hear from you.

Best from London, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Oh, I want one of them!
    I can already smell the hot aromatic brew.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 8 months ago:

@dirtylittlefokker, It's great to see you back. The moving...man, I feel your pain. The injury, well, you just need to face facts. You might not be the spry guy you once were and you should let the born help handle that stuff. You use to bear the load for them and now it's their time. As for the wife...well, I'll leave that up to you but here's how I handle it:

1. If she makes any remarks about me being old, I gentle remind her that since I'm 8 years older than her, that would make her old as well.
    2. Any time she gets upset with me because I'm not letting her get her way, she'll look down her nose and tell me "I really don't like you...", I very calmly in a flippant tone look her straight in her face and state "I really don't care". 😉 Get's her every time! 🙂 Sort of a loving joke now but I wish I had video of the first one. Priceless!

Really good to see you back. All the best from Texas!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 8 months ago:

David it appears you're almost back in the saddle as the old saying goes. The 109 looks great and I'm sure the B-17 will be coming along shortly. As for being just a tad bit slower and less agile compared to 20 somethings, remember we elders make up for that with experience ,cunning and deception. As for your pain it's all mind over matter David, if you don't mind it don't matter.