Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

This is good stuff !

I especially like the PR Spitfire photo and the Doolittle Raider painting...

If by chance you should happen to leave a part in a place not under "Keepers" area of operation, he may simply quote Sgt. Schultz from Hogan's Heroes... "I see nothing, I hear nothing, I know nothing".

Speaking about your new "beverage" glass, I noticed these sitting on the floor at the restoration shop the last time I stopped by...

Hope you have had a fantastic birthday weekend... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

To hell with Brexit, we have some great European cooperation here; thank you @holzhamer Pedro for sending your spare G6 spinner! This was a great and unexpected gift and a brilliant endorsement of iModeler. Here it is in place; still needs a little weathering...

And so on to the vexing issue, my Bette noir, the fly in the ointment, the horrible, horrible Revell canopy. Even the Squadron AM didn’t fit and I’m having to cobble together a hybrid of the two and some scratchbuilding. You can see how much as gone into this innocuous component of the build that’s become a real PITA. At the moment the composite canopy is just sitting there and will need a fair bit of remedial work to make it look the part.

As soon as I can get this crucial part of the build done (the nose of the Olde Pub is, for me, a focal point of the composition) the rest of the dio will just fall into place.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 7 months ago:

David, that package got there faster than my mother-in-law comes when my wife rings her to drop by for dinner!
    Both foes are looking especially good. I was impressed by the work on the Boeing, but Franz is also spot on. Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 7 months ago:

And now after all that adapt and adopt effort, the lost canapy will present itself (as often happens in my case). I often put it down to the 'invisible teacher' who creates scenarios for me to practice in. If I ask why, the answer will inevitbly be 'how else are you going to learn!' Then I'll remember that I did ask for divine help. 🙂

• Profile Photo

I have a soft spot for my mother-in-law, Pedro. It’s out in the yard, right behind the garage.

Thanks for the comments, my friend. And the help.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 7 months ago:

David, all I have to say is dang brother! It is looking so good—fabulous work all around. Very exciting progress and, of course, scintillating banter on many subjects. Ah, how I miss it. Still living out of boxes, but making progress...

• Profile Photo

Thanks, David, and welcome ‘home’. As has become a regular fixture on my final post of a project I’d like to thank everyone for contributing to what has been a thread full of fun, education, silliness (possibly covers the vast majority of the posts), and of course, sadness at the passing of Bernard (one of the first to post on the thread).

I’ll stick this on the ‘headlines’ at the weekend (only one or two small finishing touches to make on the Fortress) and onto the next project. My last photo on this WiP is below - the 109 in the beautiful skies we have in London today.

My thoughts to friends in the path of ‘Florence’ - god speed and keep safe.

• Profile Photo

109 looks fantastic, especially with the sky background. The sunlight gives it the more natural look with highlights and shadow that no artificail lighting can do. Great trailer, can't wait to see the movie.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Peter. I certainly agree about the sunlight (can’t argue with it as a light source even at 93 million miles away). I have hugely appreciated your input, interest, and humour during this build and it’s been a much richer experience having you on board my (slightly bonkers) friend.

• Profile Photo

What do you mean, 93 million miles away! Don't be silly, it's just outside my window.
    😉

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Well, here we go ... better late than never. After reading about all the various moves, lost spinner, lost pilot, lost windscreen, Kobayashi Maru and other wonderful topics ... not to mention a stellar Bf109 & CB's B17 with great photos, it is time to comment again.

Bernie would be proud. He & I discussed this very project the last time we talked, which was about 4 days before he passed. David, you have done well, my friend. Blurred props and feathered, missing Franz and his spinner - all has come together for a wonderful diorama that I really like and look forward to the soon-to-be-revealed completion. Have you thought of some way to hide the wooden base? Perhaps a map or photo of the Channel, or as Peter suggested, the White Cliffs between Dover and Eastbourne. E-Bourne brings back great memories for me personally as it is where I met my Scottish Lass and stole her away 32 years ago to come to the US of A. Soon I will celebrate her Birthday and she will celebrate mine ... both of us are September babies - and both on the 26th. Different years, but the same day. I shall NEVER forget her Birthday. So I celebrate a common (month) of Birthday as do many others here and I hope - belatedly - you had a wonderful Birthday last weekend, David!

Bravo!

• Profile Photo

Peter, I'm with you ... the sun is right out of reach on the other side of my window.

• Profile Photo

David T (and others) I hope you and the moving boxes are soon parted so you can get things back to whatever passes for "normal" at your house. I haven't had to move in 22 years but we are contemplating a move from our 2-level house to a one-story affair with NO STAIRS! Olde Age seems to be very hard on knees and lower backs.

Trudge - trudge - trudge.

🙁

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 7 months ago:

David - I've enjoyed this raucous rodeo and am somewhat sad it has reached the end of the line, but I'm eager to see the headline post! It's been a great ride - now I'm gonna have to think of some really intriguing diorama ideas to slip you so we can crank the rollercoaster to the top of the hill and start all over again!

• Profile Photo

I told you so. Bonkers, Peter.