Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

David @dirtylittlefokker, Cannot wait to see the final product. Let's do this again, one last parting shot...https://youtu.be/gmQuIpM4h6A

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Cranking the rollercoaster to the top of the hill and starting all over again. Beautiful metaphor, Greg.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Jeff. It’s been a lovely journey on this thread. And somewhere in there there is a model in all those posts. Somewhere.

I’m thinking now I’ll leave the wooden base as it is; I’ve used an unusual cantilever system to get the right composition for the two planes and I think that’ll hopefully add a little interest in itself.

I really appreciate your thoughts on Bernard.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Well, this has been one helluva roller-coaster ride. Doing this dio is really awesome (to use that over-used word.) It shows a side of the conflict seldom heard. I hadn't heard about the incident util a year ago or so because of iModeler. I was totally unaware of this (what became a) wonderful event that shows the best of human nature even in times of brutal conflict. Your skills and modeling abilities are way up at the top of the scale and should be recognised as such.

Enough of this seriousness. I LOVE that roller coaster picture and would love to ride on it. I thought the Coke Zero 'coaster at the Blackpool park was pretty cool but all those loops - WoW!

• Profile Photo

Jeff, THAT is one rollercoaster ride you don’t want to take. It’s actually a scale model of the ‘Euthanasia Coaster’, designed to kill all of its passengers. The g-forces and ever decreasing inversions (causing cerebral hypoxia) are designed such that after completing a ride there is zero possibility of anyone surviving. The inspiration came from John Allen, CEO of the Philadelphia Toboggan Company. Crazy world we live in, Jeff...

On a brighter note you hit the nail on the head with the exact reason I wanted to build this; that it’s possible to rise above brutality and make brave, positive choices in life. Thanks for the lovely comments, amigo.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Roller Coaster! You can have your roll and eat it. It's bad enough to be put over (through) a barrel (roll).
    Might as well get all the bonking (bonkers) over with now. Then I can be more serious in critiquing the grand display; and celebrating with 'Keeper' over a plate of cheese and crackers.

• Profile Photo

@jamesb - oh yeah, good ole Willie. Cheers, James!

• Profile Photo

This afternoon, I finished this build. But, ah, but...I sprayed it with acrylic varnish, after I’d removed the masking on the canopies. The model itself looks fine but the canopies that I’ve spent so much time getting tidy and clear just misted/fogged up. Juve mistake. When I rub them with some thinners it clears up again but just fogs up again after a few moments. Interestingly the clear acrylic stands have done exactly the same, they’ve also misted over.

If anyone has any thoughts please drop a line, it’s not like I’m booking a ride on the Coaster (see above) but Itd make me feel better. As they say, ‘old enough to care but still young enough to not give a *#@§.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Well the 'coaster looked cool - until I read what you wrote. I don't feel the urge to ride it now! I think the name 'Euthanasia Coaster" has a certain 'ring' to it but that name says it all! Besides, why should only kids from Asia be allowed to ride?
    😉
    Peter - what's the matter with barrel rolls? Besides, they would be more like loops. Inside loops at that! Outside loops may be a bit more of a challenge. (See "The Great Waldo Pepper" if you don't believe me! A highly under-rated movie, in my most humble opinion!)

Beyond that, I had an idea why you would want to do a dio like this, David. It's your style. Well done, my Friend!

• Profile Photo

Well David, the thinners may have damaged it. I did the same thing once with Perspex. The only solution then was to rub it done with methylated spirits. It took hours of rubbing with a wet soft cloth, but it worked. However, thinners may have eaten into the plastic (not sure). Try rubbing metho on the stands, keep at it for a while to see if it actually clears up over time. If not, replace stands and canopy. Replacement will then be the only option if you wish to feel okay about this fine model. Unless someone else has a miracle cure I have not heard about before.

By the way, what does a "juve mistake" mean.

• Profile Photo

Just did a little research and comes up with the same thing, try isopropyl alcohol. I’ll get some tomorrow and give it a go. ‘Juve’ - as in juvenile/rookie mistake. If the meths doesn’t work I’m not too fussed to be honest, still looks fine and I’m not getting bent out of shape about.

It’s a cliche but it’s all about the journey.

• Profile Photo

It's all relative.

Personally, I would normally take up the challenge of rebuilding, just to get more hours on the journey. Now and again I tend to purposely take the road least travelled, just to get in more practice. But then again, I may simply be bonkers about this 😉

Still anticipating for the grand display my friend. I feel it will be a fabulous display indeed. The whole concept, and story, of your build has already got the two birds flying in our mind's eye. And that is what we will have in our hearts when we view it. It's the modellers curse for those that get nitpicky and lose the story.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 5 years, 7 months ago:

David, if you used Future/Johnson’s Clear (whatever the current brand name) on the clear parts prior to painting, try ammonia. It will dissolve the Future and “should” carry away the topcoat with it. Hope you’re successful what ever method you try.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the encouragement, Peter. My philosophy on this issue is full ahead and damn the torpedoes. My mistake to learn from and I’ll rectify it again in time. As with my Enterprise (US Navy not Starfleet) I’ll keep evolving the build after sticking it on the ‘headlines’. For example Jeff B had the suggestion to inlay a map on the base; if I can laminate and fix an OS map of part of the Northen France coastline I think it’d look great.

So if I find the time today I’ll stick a few photos on as an article - I’m definitely of that whole growth mindset of learning of learning more from your mistakes than your successes.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Rick. This is the culprit...

I tried pure alcohol (on the model, not medicinally) and it didn’t work so it’ll be a replacement job (eventually). The 109 is easy - but man I spent along time on that Fortress canopy.