Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 7 months ago:

David, haven't followed this as much as would've liked, looking great as always! wile back I polished a canopy with tooth paste and water, don't know if it would work for your situation, but was able to take the majority of scratches that were present.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 5 years, 7 months ago:

David, I feel your pain. After 56 years I still manage to get a glue induced fingerprint somewhere on every model I build. I generally find them before they are finished but not always lol.
    I think perhaps it’s time to switch to “medicinal spirits” just for your health and peace of mind. “chin chin” 😉

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Good on you David, I am proud of you.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Yes Dave that culprit is deadly on unprotected canopies - ask me how i know!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks everyone for their brilliant support, especially that last bit when it all went a little...wrong. We’re done on this thread, headline is at https://imodeler.com/2018/09/a-higher-call-the-very-best-of-humanity-in-the-worst-of-times/

• Profile Photo

Well, here I am, sneaking back on stage. Just don’t tell anyone...

I got the ‘Gauzy Glass Coat’ - good product but not what I was needing. Which is essentially a miracle.

So made a new scratch built canopy for the Fortress, using some clear styrene sheet and the lead foil from a wine seal.

And here’s the canopy of the 109 after a layer of Gauzy Coat. Not bad really - the middle section worked well but the other two components just didn’t shape up so well.

I’ll post any updates here (for example I have an engraving kit arriving tomorrow for the Dremel to add to the base) but leave the ‘headline’ as is. I’ll quietly swap out photos on the headline article if I feel I’ve made any improvements.

Nothing ever really ends.

• Profile Photo

Bravo David.
    With 'acceptance', every step we take moves forward.

• Profile Photo

In psychological circles there’s a movement called ‘radical acceptance’ - I’m certainly channelling this.

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 7 months ago:

David (@dirtylittlefokker)

"And here’s the canopy of the 109 after a layer of Gauzy Coat."

If I remember it right from that video, depending on the bad shape of the transparent pieces, they may require more than just one layer of that "Gauzy Glass Coat".

Maybe if you do it a 2nd and even a 3rd time then it will be perfect.

I really don't know, as I say on the other thread about this dio, before Pedro mentioned it I didn't even know about its existence, and obviously I've never tested it myself.

I may get some just for testing with some old transparent pieces from old models that are slightly scratched after being (out of their plastic bags!) kind of moving freely on their boxes, after a few house moves and because of that some may have some small issues.

Sad to realize it wouldn't work for the B-17 canopy, but being a scratch-built one I guess it couldn't work on that case.
    But try another (one or two more) time with the M109 canopy, it might need more than just one layer as I say (or rather, as they say on that video...) .

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo

Same here.