Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 10 months ago:

This WIP is a must for modellers and headbangers 🙂
    Good memories from the late 80’s when Maiden ruled my AirPlay.
    David, I will dare saying that the Gustav drawing is merely illustrative of special features of Franz’s 109, the camouflage looks too generic to say the least. Have you found any photo of that plane?

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Pedro,
    Unbelievably, I did a soundcheck with Maiden back in '81 at the Edinburgh Odeon (Killers tour, loooong story).

The line drawing IS definitely basic, the actual painting of camo I'll go with will be a hybrid of the images below.

Given that Stigler worked with the artist in the 'Higher Call' painting signed off on it, I'm guessing he's ok on the detail, so a lot of the painting will be based on this work...

If you have anything on this bird, please share!

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 10 months ago:

my advice on the stands - measure once, cut twice... wait - that's not it..?!

• Profile Photo

David, I don’t recall having any photo on my small library, though I’ll look it up this weekend.

What I found online are several artistic profiles and not all alike, for instance some display a white rudder others a standard camouflaged rudder, all with kill markings.

If by chance you happend to know the werk nummer of this particular 109 G It should be possible to trace which factory produced it and assume the base of the camouflage pattern. On the other who can argue about whatever form you wish paint your model? No one will dispute that ahah! Have fun my friend, and please keep us posted along the way

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 5 years, 10 months ago:

David, I can't wait to see this! It is my favourite story from WW II. You are doing a marvelous job at creating the battle damage sustained by the B 17. It is a great tribute to the airmen involved but also the men of the Mighty Eight that flew into the most heavily defended skies over Europe. It is also a fine testament to the strength of the old B 17. Well done!

• Profile Photo

Pedro, that triangulated exactly with my reasearch. I think I'm just going to go with the white rudder (with kill markers, I know Franz had them but believe he just stopped adding to them, at which point, no-one seems certain). In terms of camouflage there's a general settling point within 1/JG 27 at Luftfotte 3 in Northern France of the cam pattern below...

Maybe Matija (@lisec) would know...

• Profile Photo

Thanks Morne, I really value the encouragement. Talking of the 'Mighty Eighth' does anyone have any idea where we are with Speilberg/Hanks series?

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 5 years, 10 months ago:

I have been looking forward to this release! Can't wait to see this. Judging by their previous collaboration it can only be a very realistic and hopefully historically correct representation of events.

• Profile Photo

David, That would be a Regensburg made machine. Besides what you have on paper based info this webpage is very useful, in case you haven’t seen it yet: http://theprofilepaintshop.blogspot.com/2013/10/chosing-correct-wingpattern-for-bf109g-6.html

Is that a forthcoming new series or a movie? Now I’m drooling...

• Profile Photo

Pedro, 'The Mighty Eighth' is the last of a trilogy that Spielberg and Hanks produced. The first being 'Band of Brothers' and of course the second is 'Pacific'. This series (10 episodes, I believe) is still in production with HBO. Should be mind-blowing.

I'll check out the link and really appreciate the help.

• Profile Photo

Ah, Pedro. Just checked out the 'Profile Paintshop' site and it is amazing. Thanks so much for the lead.

• Profile Photo

My pleasure David...and likewise to you and Morne for the heads up on that thrilling HBO series!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

That is an amazing 109 site... Thanks for posting the link, I book marked it to use for future 109's... (not that I'll be building any 🙂 🙂 🙂 )

The new "Mighty 8th" series should be outstanding if it follows in the footsteps of the other two films.

David,
    I have a few friends who restore Warbirds and they were telling me about the series. If I hear of any new updates, I'll pass them along. Please do the same... Looks like you have a good idea as to how you want to paint Stigler's plane, and I think you're right on the money. Looking forward to your next update.

Morne,
    Thanks for the updates on the Beau ! She's a beauty...

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis. Nope, can't imagine you building a 109. Now three or four...

Hope you are well, friend.

• Profile Photo

Started to really focus on the Gustav last night, and in true Eduard form, as soon as you start the momentum just flows. Hope to secure the cockpit this afternoon and close the fuselage. Then it'll be on to completing the interior of the B-17. May even stick on a little Glenn Miller, get me in the mood...