Gabreski P-47D-25RE Thunderbolt

Started by Tom Cleaver · 25 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Moving fast, Tom (@tcinla), and it looks great. Looking forward to decals.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Calling it complete, with the decals on.

The Techmod decals had some problems - I ended up using the Tamiya decals for the national insignia on the upper wing and fuselage sides, due to sizing problems with the Techmod decals (they were too large for those positions). I also had to do some trimming to get a proper fit for the decals used for the fuselage stripes. That said, otherwise they acted right, went down under Solvaset without problems.

Overall, I am happy with this result. It looks like the original. I am definitely a fan of the Vallejo "Dull Aluminum," which I will use on other projects - it's perfect weathering for NMF that you can't get otherwise. Another good reason to keep using these great metallics (did I mention they will never eat your model or run you out of the room from the stench, unlike @#$#@! Alclad?) .

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Love the Gabreski scheme - I'll get around to it one day - and your's came out very well. Nicely done!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Really nice, Tom.
    This scheme is indeed great.
    You achieved a wonderful build in a short time.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Nice result, Tom!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 6 months ago:

That looks great Tom. Your scheme looks extremely realistic.

I gather you don’t like Alclad II. Yeah, they stink and sometimes react to skin oils when dry but overall, that’s my go to paint for NMF’s. However you got me trying some Vallejo finishes lately and I’m starting to see why you’re big on them. I will use Vallejo only when I tackle that Dora Wings P-43 after the holidays and see how that goes.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 6 months ago:

@eb801:

Thanks for the comment on the model. Good to hear with the Vallejo.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Really nice model, Tom (@tcinla). I also like the Vallejo metallics. For some reason they keep wanting to jump out of the paint cup on my airbrush, but I think this is due to me rather than the paint. Maybe it is too smooth to stay in the cup. Once it actually gets sucked into the airbrush it works fine for me. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 5 months ago:

@gblair: I only fill the cup half way because of that.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

That's why you are the master and I am the apprentice, Obi Wan. :o)