GoT (Game of Tupolev: Tu-22m3)

Started by Aleksandar Sekularac · 60 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 6 months ago:

She's a love-child of brutality and grace. Kinky enough never to be boring.

BTW, it was my computer wanting a restart, not a limit on pictures.
    Cheers,
    Aleks

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

“A love child of brutality and grace” - what a line.

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 6 months ago:

News bulletin:

“Everyone in the Bureau is excited at the tangible progress and eager at the prospect of seeing the great aircraft taking shape. The project with the codename “GoT” is now entering its decisive phase. Rumors that a clandestine project is initiated in parallel, which is somehow associated with the “GoTh” acronym (https://imodeler.com/groups/imoder-at-the-movies-1964926360/forum/topic/seven-kingdoms-and-beyond-the-infinite/), albeit proven to be true, will not hinder the continuation of planed undertaking. While similarities in terminology may cause some confusion with the unqualified observer, it is underlined that these two missions have dissimilar targets and that everyone should stay focused on their activities and personal contribution to the common goal.”

After much effort was put in details previously, now is the time for some garden-work. If there was ever a suitable moment to apply paint directly from the rattle-can this is it! A friendly advice – DO NOT spray Tamiya Surface Primer inside the house unless you are moving, or looking to redecorate. This said, I am very impressed with this Tamiya product and it takes a lot to impress me these days…
    Cheers,
    Aleks

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Hello everybody,

here’s the long overdue update from the Bureau. While storms are brewing in the North, promising some drama of supernatural proportions, here, south of the Wall, spraying from the can, brushing and airbrushing was the order of the day.. well actually more like a month...

I’ve been hand-painting some shark’s teeth, just ‘cause the decals were not as gnarly as the real thing and then getting the big bird to come together; experimenting with some weathering methods, including, layering, blending and chipping. As always, having good reference photos is golden, as the true life is stranger than fiction.

Enjoy!
    Aleks

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Love this build, Aleksander. Those shark teeth are fantastic and the general paint job looks just stunning. Love it.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 5 months ago:

you really nailed the bleed-through of the primer. As always, your paint and finishing work is just fantastic. Love it.

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks David, thanks Greg!

I pushed the envelope so many times during this build, that I fear it may tear apart - the envelope that is... not the kit, hopefully... Slowly seeing the glimpses of the shoreline above the waves and frankly can't wait to have that satisfying feeling of "having finished A model" again. But there's still work to be done here! I need to finish painting and weathering canopy hatches, flaps assemblies, rocket-bay doors and the landing gear with all of its 14 wheels. Small fries some might think, but as I usually say: devil hides in details, while gods are busy with the grand schemes...

What I want to say is, really appreciate your support chaps!
    Cheers,
    Aleks

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 5 years, 5 months ago:

This is looking amazing mate!
    How did you achieve the yellowing effect with the weathering?

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Well Aleks, after watching this since its' inception, your posts just get better & better and become even MORE interesting! I LOVE your humour! Your detailing is superb as is the painting. The cockpit area is a work of art, thanks to the company that made your detail set - (sorry, I've forgotten their name: 'Neo-something or other) but ESPECIALLY because of the quality of your detail painting as well as other fiddly-bits you added. Absolutely superb!

This would be an amazing model in 1/48th scale, though I doubt that'll happen. It's rather large. Of course, the real aircraft isn't a small, wee thing - it's a big bomber with a lot of power and weight-carrying ability. And it's FAST. Quite a capable aircraft, actually - and one that was rightly respected and even feared. I look forward to more, Mr. Sekularac!

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 4 months ago:

It is SO close my friends!

I am in real danger of finishing a model this year… Only few details are left and then the final assembly. As you can see the flaps are all done and the bird has all the feathers.

Sorry for not answering - I was away for a while. Thanks for all the nice words and support, as always it means a lot, really… 🙂

@richardmcstay48gmail-com The yellow primer “showing through” is actually Ammo’s “Dark Yellow Primer” sprayed thinly over the layer of chipping fluid and then… well, chipped with harsh brush moistened with water. One can go wild with this stuff, as long as there’s some license to weather the subject in this way…

@mikegolf Jeff, if you want Tu-22 in 48, it’s all yours! I think I had my fill with this one. Do you know that the 1:72 model is 59 cm long!?! This is… like, a lot of inches!

Cheers,
    Aleks

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 4 months ago:

I LOVE this build. As Jeff says, it’s been great from the first post, Aleksander. Just brilliant; your rendering, artistic skills, and creativity really shine in this build. The weathering is outstanding. Having looked at a lot of photos of this aircraft I have to say that in my opinion you have aced this.

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks David! I really appreciate it.
    Good reference photos are invaluable, especially in an ambitious build like this. I tried to source as much inspiration from the real aircraft and am very happy if you can notice this in the model as well.
    Cheers,
    Aleks

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Aleksander, the research really shows in thi build; aircraft of this era and geography seem to weather in a very nuanced way that you have captured perfectly to my eye.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 4 months ago:

I'm just drooling...

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 5 years, 4 months ago:

I am really digging the paint finish on this one. Many modelers i know rave about the Tamiya primers, especially when decanted and sprayed thru an airbrush. I'm a big user of the white liquid surface primer that comes in the square white bottles, but it has to be be stirred thoroughly. Thinning it to get consistent results is somewhat problematical. However it wet sands beautifully...i do a lot of that.