Grumman F-14A Tomcat - diorama

Started by Sebastijan Videc · 31 · 4 years ago · diorama, finemolds, tomcat
  • Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 5 years, 6 months ago:

While I'm still waiting for the figures for my HMS Aurora to finally call her finished, it's time to reveal my next build - the mighty F-14 Tomcat. I fell in love with the bird when I first saw Top Gun on some pirated VHS tape in the late '80s (the only possible means back then in the country which doesn't exist anymore) and that innocent event sparked a real fandom which resulted in numerous books, magazines, PC games and crowning it with a trip to NAS Oceana in Virginia, back in 2005, to see the last ever Tomcat tactical display; which also marked the only time, that I saw her flying. But a trip to the US wasn't the first time to see the mighty Ironworks cat. In 1997, carrier USS John F Kennedy made a port visit to Koper, Slovenia and I managed to get aboard the ship after waiting for 8 hours in a queue and was greeted with a sight of 24 Tomcats on board - all A models of squadrons VF-41 Black Aces and VF-14 Tophatters. Of course the visit to the flattop full of Tomcats was like visiting Vatican, Jerusalem or Mecca for the religious persons.
    Anyhow, during all these years, I was also collecting Tomcat decals a lot and made quite a collection, enabling me to build well over 100 different Tomcats of almost any squadron that flew them. So choosing one for this project was quite hard but I've decided I'll relieve my first Tomcat meet memory and build her in Black Aces markings from the '97 cruise.

Good news is, that I have decals for that cruise; bad news is, that they're from an ancient Airfix kit and I don't know how they're gonna perform. They also look a little thick (the fonts) and I'm thinking of replacing most of the markings from one of the generic stencil and markings sheets and just use the squadron specific decals from Airfix.

I don't really like opening aircraft models too much as that spoils the outline of the aircraft. However I don't mind that, if the model is put on a diorama in a suitable setting. Finemolds let you open a bunch of panels and it would be a shame not to use those features. Plan is to build a part of deck, with a sidewall of the carrier, deck including the tie-downs and aircraft chained to the deck. Aircraft will be having a maintenance check with several crews and I am also toying with the idea of actually opening one of the engine bays and using Fujimi's engine inside.

Hope I'll be able to present to you more progress in the form of photos and report in the near future.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

This looks very interesting, Sebastijan. I look forward to more. You have quite a history with the F14, especially considering your non-military status. I'd LOVE to see one fly in person!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Sounds like a great project, look forward to seeing your progress.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I, too, am looking forward to your dio, sir. As an aside, when "Top Gun" was first released, I couldn't WAIT to see it. But in hindsight, it was one of the 'corniest' story-lines I've seen (as was "Days of Thunder"; another must-see film back in the day).

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 5 years, 5 months ago:

OK gents, here we go!

For a so much praised kit, I was surprised to find a huge number of pin marks in visible parts. While I'm not sure, these will actually be seen, buried deep in engine intakes.

Cockpit sidewalls are bare in the kit. It's true, only the most curious eyes will look that deep in the cockpit, but I just had to add some canvas wiring covers and the prominent circuit breaker boards in the RIO's pit.

Using just some careful painting, the cockpit is looking more and more alive. No aftermarket parts are available for this kit, so I have to work with what I've got.

• Profile Photo

Cockpit is more or less finished. Of course the ejection seats are missing but as I am waiting for the figures, I'll install them later. I might add some piping on the back walls, but I once again have to wait for the seats, to see how much would visible in the first place.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Looking great! Here's a couple of photos I took on Kennedy in '89,maybe they'll be helpful.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Robert!

Some more progress...

Intakes painted up; one showing the one piece affair and the other one with rear part insert.

Front view of the intake insert. Stator at the front with a cone was painted Aluminum while the rear one with darker Magnesium, giving a nice sense of depth. Notice the reflections in the intake.

Cockpit was finally fitted in the fuselage halves and instrument panel shrouds installed. Turtle back behind the rear seat was bare of details so I added a horizontal beam and rivets per reference photos.

NeOmega seats arrived yesterday and they proved to be of identical dimensions as FineMolds ones but of course much better detailed. RIO's IP shroud received circular cooling vents at the sides and the wire that runs from the top handle to the side.

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Based on last night's episode of "Cage Death Match: Hasegawa Tomcat", the cockpit and intakes alone have the Hasegawa kit beat by a country mile. However, i haven't given up on mine just yet.

-d-

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Beautiful work so far!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 5 months ago:

A beautifully written ‘ode to a Tomcat’, Sebastijan. I can feel your love for the subject and boy are you lavishing some care on her. An immaculately presented build.

Give us more...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 5 months ago:

I know of the quality of Fine Mold kits, having a couple of their 48th scale Japanese kits. Really cool to see them do an F-14 in 72nd scale. A realm that usually you will see the Hasegawas and Fujimi kits built up. So far the quality of the kit looks fine. Looking forward to this as you progress, Wonder FM will have a different approach in assembly compared to the Hase and Fujimi kits.

• Profile Photo

Thank you guys! Your comments are much appreciated!

Anyhow, time for a little progress update!

Instructions mistake! Do this only if you're planning on closing the canopy!

Painting the exhausts... First white then progressively darker thin layers of brownish colours and some dark brown, black and grey pigments at the end.

Jet intakes finished - the lower rear ramp at the top of the intake is clearly visible including the actuator that opens it.

Interesting design of the rear fuselage - you have to attach the rear fuselage sides to the jet exhaust piping.

The whole assembly is then attached to the upper fuselage half.

The join runs by the panel line and is virtually invisible. The only area needing some filler will be right of the airbrake - nothing a swipe of PPP couldn't solve in few seconds.

Attaching the lower fuselage was a breeze - fit is just perfect and we finally have something resembling a Tomcat fuselage.

View of the lower fuselage - again no filler needed!

Oh and for those who didn't know - take a look at Tomcat's fuselage, bring those intakes closer together and voila! A-wing fighter from Star Wars E:VI Return of the Jedi!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Very interesting, Sebastijan! Your Tomcat is really coming along well.

It's interesting to see SciFi vehicles and how the movie industry "invents" them. Long ago I was at one of the largest USA museums and they had on display the original Battlestar Galactica, from the 1970s show. I think it was the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. No matter ... the model they used was about 2 m (6.5 ft.) long. While inspecting it closely I saw parts that were (among other things) from other model kits like fuel tanks cut into sections and parts from ROCO Minitanks, which if you're not familiar with them are a huge selection of HO scale (1/87) tanks, trucks and other vehicles. Most are military but not all of them. These ROCO miniatures have some amazing details, especially considering their size. The parts I saw on the Battlestar were odd and assorted parts that come with some of their "kits." They were things like spare tires, machine guns, gun shields, fuel and / or Jerry cans, cloth (simulated in plastic) tops for vehicles and other things of that nature. Well, they had been added to the basic Battlestar model simply to make it look "busier" on the outside. Since it was always filmed as it flew through space you only saw a futuristic spaceship with all kinds of gadgets on the outside, but you couldn't see close-ups that would show a row of ROCO HO scale Deuce & a half wheels, only some ship with unknown protrusions, etc. LoL! Kind of like making the engines for an F-14 Tomcat magically become a Rebellion 'A-Wing' fighter!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Awesome progress! I'll bet that wasn't the only sci-fi movie/series that borrowed model kit parts to add to their miniatures.