GWH 1/48 Devastator – FINISHED

Started by Eric Berg · 173 · 3 years ago · devastator, dive bomber, Douglas, Great Wall Hobby, GWH TBD-1 devastator, Lt. John C. Waldron, Midway, T-16, TBD-1, TBD-1 Devastator, torpedo, torpedo bomber, VT-8
  • Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Eric, how warm is the water you're using for the decals? Just curious.. I find that warm water releases decals from their sheet faster, though results will vary by mfr. I found this as the longer I decal (read: water getting colder) the longer it takes for the decals to let go of the backing.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 3 months ago:

That's what I'm using. Warm water. It helps a bit a lot. By the way, the vinyl canopy masks Techmod provides with the decals are totally useless. Don't even come close to fitting. Eduard's are spot on.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 3 months ago:

I feel your pain with the decals. Nice recovery though.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Apart from the pain to use the decals, I have to say it looks great with them on. Looking forward to the next post on this one Eric @eb801.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 3 months ago:

I was just curious.. as the others said, progress still looks great. I'd have to guess that the Techmod masks were designed for the Monogram kit. I hope so, because I have this sheet. Getting close!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Andrew: Yes the Techmod masks do fit the Monogram kit canopies reasonably well so no worries there. The GWH canopies are completely different. That's why Eduard offers separate masks for both kits.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Sorry to hear about the decals, Eric.
    They do however look great and you surely recovered the broken parts very nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Your perseverance with the decals paid off, Eric @eb801, as they look nice from here!

When tackling decals that are prone to cracking (and, of course, sadly, I realise it AFTER having dipped them in water...), I soak them well, then remove them from the water and patiently leave them rest on their backing paper for a minute or more, trying to be sure that they have TOTALLY detached from the backing paper, able to flow freely.

Then, I place the paper near the application area and very carefully "push" the decal from its rear with the tip of my tweezers, or a similar fine, but not sharp edged "tool", towards its area of application (that I have put a drop water or Future beforehand). This way, I might have some better chance to avoid cracking...

Looking forward to see your beauty of a model crossing the finish line!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Spiros - good advice, especially the idea of using Future. Never heard that one before. Most of your techniques I already use.

TECHMOD DECALS:
    This is my first experience with Techmod. They are designed to fit the Monogram kit but you can still use them on GWH. These decals take their sweet time releasing from the carrier sheet unless you soak them in very warm to hot water. Took me some trial and error to figure this out. There is the problem of cracking on the larger or longer pieces. A bit of touch up paint took care of that and it looks fine from 12 inches away.

Techmod is a big improvement over the GWH decals color and fit wise. Once they lay flat and dry, there is none of that irritating excess carrier film glistening away around the edges or between the letters or numbers. Almost completely invisible so high marks on that count. Getting the stars to lay flat over the corrugated wing ribbing is another story, but I imagine anybody's decal would have this problem under such circumstance. Lots of setting solution and patience required. They do look great once they finally settle down.

Techmod's tiny stencils drove me nuts because they insisted on folding almost every time. Once that happened, they were kaput. No way to straighten them out or repair them using the usual methods so I finally gave up and jettisoned them. The white in the stars is a bit transparent but that's ok with me because they really look hand painted and realistic when dry and flat. The three color prop tip decals are too narrow to fit GWH's kit prop but so are GWH's tip decals . Painting is required to fill the gaps. It looks much better to paint all three colors yourself and not use them. Techmod prop tip decals fit the narrower Monogram prop very well but you have to force them to wrap around the edges to eliminate the gap. Sand off the raised marking lines off the Monogram prop tips prior to applying them.

Techmod also provides two vinyl masks with their decal sheet. One for the canopy and the other for yellow wing era color bands plus wheels. Both are designed for the Revell-Monogram TBD-1. The canopy mask does not fit GWH at all but the wheel and band masks work fine with a little help.

In hindsight, I wish I had gone with decals from Yellow Wings, Hannants or Starfighter. (Anybody have experience with the latter?)

I wish Techmod had included some additional Midway markings in addition to duplicating what comes in the GWH kit. I find these particular Techmod decals to be a bit on the fussy side but do you get a lot of bang for your money.

Onwards!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the Techmod decals info, Eric @eb801.
    Being ultra-figurative on Future droplet application, I might add that, once the Future has dried under the decal (it takes several minutes, for sure), the decal "solidifies", being almost impossible to reposition it by adding water on top of it, should you wish to do so. Well, just a side note...

• Profile Photo

ALMOST THERE!
    Getting close to the finish line. My goal is to button this up in the next three days.

• Profile Photo

It is looking awesome already, Eric.
    That color is really beautiful.

• Profile Photo

Looks a jewel already, Eric @eb801!
    Looking forward to see her finished!

• Profile Photo

Thanks John and Spiros. I have to say, I really like Vallejo's Model Air Arcylic. First time I've used them for the entire paint job. I am impressed with the smooth flat finish. Way better than Tamiya.

Sorry guys, I only use acrylics.

• Profile Photo

@eb801,

After restarting this hobby two years ago it was for me the first time to start with airbrush.

Without any experience I decided to go for the Vallejo acrylics and I have to say that I'm very pleased by them.

I don't know how other brands behave, but with Vallejo I'm getting good results so no intention to try others at this moment.

Might give it a try once I'm more confident with airbrushing.

As you said, that flat finish is also what I like a lot.