H-K 1/48 B-17F

Started by Tom Cleaver · 34 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

So, I am commencing the H-K Models 1/48 B-17F.

I'm doing "Knockout Dropper" of the 303rd "Hell's Angels" Bomb Group, 359th Bomb Squadron, the first B-17 in the 8th Air Force to fly 50 missions (November 1944) and first to fly 75 missions (March 1944). She was sent home after #80 for a war bond tour.

The really nice thing about the H-K kit is it has the different options for a single gun or two-gun nose, with all the associated mount inside the nose. (I got a laugh looking one comment over at The Home Base Of The Never-Satisfied, who are still not satisfied with the kit - "I thought it was a really good model, till I came here and checked.")

This is my second H-K 1/48 B-17, and third H-K B-17 counting the 1/32 kit.

I find that attaching the nose and tail pieces to the main fuselage before proceeding further allows a better fit - I had to do some bending of the nose parts to get them to match up with the main fuselage, and that is more easily done at this stage.

As you can see in the one photo of the left fuselage half, the first thing to do is cut off all the ejection towers. Yeah, it's a pain and you need to sand down the mating surface to be sure it's totally clear, but doing these this way, there aren't any nasty things to fill in in the part, so that's good.

I'm using the Kit's World Decals for the individual aircraft markings, and Fundekals national insignia.

I'm putting up some photos here of the airplane. Also a good clear well-lit photo of a new B-17F, showing the airplanes (KD was a B-17F-27-BO, fairly early) were in green-base olive drab. That will be the starter, then a lot of ultra-violet high-altitude sun fading.

I've opened the doors between compartments. With the open rear hatch and open forward hatch, and open bomb bay, there will be enough light gets inside the fuselage to actually see things. I will also slide the cockpit side windows back.

I have the Eduard interior photoetch for the B-17G kit, which will work here (if there are any differences, no one will be able to tell!).

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

This is a spectacular entry, my friend @tcinla!
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

That will be a large build, Tom.
    Looking forward to your informative building steps.

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Tom, I am looking forward to following your build with great interest! A very nice choice of aircraft and the open elements will give us enjoyable viewing of the detail!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Count me in on this one as well.

• Profile Photo

Here is the fuselage assembled. I used the Eduard photoetch detail set, mostly instrument panel faces you can't see once it's closed up, other than the radio compartment which I am keeping the hatch slid open, and seatbelts. Even with the doors opened up the light isn't that much inside, not to mention it's all closed up. I would say from this that detailing the interior of a B-17 past suggestions of things is a waste of your time. I won't be doing this when I get to "Hikin' For Home," and will just concentrate on a really interesting exterior. I'm not an "I know it's there" kind of modeler. My theory is, "If you can't see it, I didn't do it."

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

The interior looks amazing, my friend @tcinla and, of course, almost nothing can be seen...
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

Fantastic work, Tom @tcinla.
    Recently watched the movie "Memphis Belle" and it is hard to imagen that those people had to do their job in those tiny spaces.

• Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Look at it this way...We know it's there. Wonder if someone could come up with an LED interior lighting that would allow people to see all the detail work through the windows/hatches more easily.

Is H-K ever going to release a B-17E version of this kit? The way they constructed the nose and upper fuselage, it looks like they were meaning to do different versions.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - 20+ years ago, my wife went with me to see the Collings Foundation bombers when they made a local visit. They were delayed, and she had the opportunity to speak to some of the "old guys" there (the former B-17 crew you can't meet any more), and then she took a tour through the B-17 when it got there. When we got out at the rear and walked away, she turned and looked at it and said "after hearing those stories, and then crawling through that, I'll never look at those things the way I did before." Indeed, fighting in those spaces was incredibly difficult.

• Profile Photo

What an incredible experience that must have been Tom @tcinla.
    I can imagen that when you experienced a walk inside those birds you for sure have a different look at them.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 1 month ago:

That's some incredible detail you're adding here Tom. The open doors and tables are an especially nice touch. That one chair in the radio compartment and similar one in the bombardier's both look like someone wiped them from a higher up's office and bolted them in place. Too bad this will all be hidden.

Which makes me wonder, didn't Monogram release an "Invisible B-17" umpteen years ago?

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Tom, this is truly fantastic and the reality of each and every piece is incredible. I will be following this one closely and I am really enjoying all the background knowledge you are imparting for each aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 1 month ago:

This looks like a fun build and I will be following along. It looks like the kit gives you plenty of detail and more than you can possibly see when closed up. (Still fun to build though) Personally I have built four 1/48 B-17G's, one B-17C and no B-17F's, which is a shame since I like them most of all. Lots of weathering potential there for you Tom, @tcinla, have fun!

• Profile Photo

Yes, there are parts not used on the clear sprues that indicate a B-17E - nose windows and dorsal turret. The 1/32 kit is an E/F.