Hasegawa 1/48 P-38J Lightning

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 76 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Although you're struggling a bit, it looks like all is coming nicely together with a bit of extra work.
    Great progress, Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Hi Erik, like George pointed out as it holds true for the Academy P-38 as well though I find the Academy kit easier to work with. Those twin booms are challenging, and the way Hasegawa approached their way of doing things and the extra work to get the join lines to smooth out takes some extra work. Especially if you plan to go with a NMF scheme.

Thanks John not really a struggle, but a challenge I expected reading build reviews over the years on the Hase Lightning's. So it was expected, I find the Academy P-38's easier to work with though still needs a bit of TLC. Not so the the Tam Lightning. That kit is so far much an easier process to assemble and the fit is excellent.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Challenge is indeed a better description, Chuck.
    Recently bought this Tamiya Lightning and it does look great, cannot wait to start with it.
    First I need to finish a HiPM Peltyakov Pe2, which is also a real challenge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

I somehow missed the last update, Chuck @uscusn!
    And what an update! ! A challenging progress indeed, and Istart to realize what to expect as I will put together my Hasegawa "Beautiful Lass"...
    You do a fantastic job there, eagerly waiting to see this beauty coming along!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hi Spiros, thanks the 2 of us with the latest update. Mostly just filling seams.
    After adding a bit more weight in the nose. I attach the gun nose cap. Fit is fair but some cleaning up at the attachment put will be required.

First I will on the booms, starting at the seams in front of the main gear bays.

Then aft of the bays on the seam to the tail.

After scraping the seam with a knife, apply Tamiya Grey putty. Let it set up. Then with 320 grit, to cut it down. 400 grit to start to remove the scratches. 600 grit to smooth the edges. 1000 grit to prep for primer. All wet/dry 3M sandpaper.

Once the seam is sealed, then to rescribe and restore the panel lines. Putty is also use to fill the wing to boom point of contact.

Lots of body work to get to the point of having her to accept a bare metal finish.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Chuck, the amount of filler you used so far is the reason why I left that kit in the box after completing the cockpit. A real challenge to assemble without gaps. You are doing a great job taming the beast so far. Are you going to rescribe the sanded areas?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Proper preppin' prevents poor phinish. (sorry, once again I could not help it).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Love your filling and sanding job, Chuck @uscusn!
    Tamiya putty looks to adhere well and being nicely workable.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Seems you have a great technique on filling and grinding, Chuck.
    Not really my favorite part of modelling but in some cases it has to done.

• Profile Photo

Hi Pedro, yes once all the bondo work is done, I will go back and rescribe the sanded areas and restore those panel lines.

• Profile Photo

Yes siree Erick, especially if going bare metal.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, a lot to do on the overall kit. I can see why many were turned off over this. I think more so being Hasegawa which usually goes together much better. But there quite a few built on the web, so not entirely a lost cause as the kit once finish is quite impressive if a variety of schemes. Thats the ebb and flow of this hobby. Just know some kits are a battle even from main stream companies.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John just a process like masking the canopies, go with the flow, and hopefully it will in the end be a presentable representation of an excellent P-38.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 3 months ago:

The tail booms were the easiest seams to clean up and rescribed the panel lines. Then applied a black Primer using Tamiya Flat Black.

Next is to assemble and attach the pylons and intake scoops.

The Pylons are assembled.

Then both sides are then attached on the inner wing section.

Next up the side intake cooling scoops are assembled.

Then they are attached to each outer side of the boom. Seams will clean up.

A bit more clean up is needed around the wing to boom joins, and re scribe the panel lines, check and probably sand again. Lots of work around this area.

More to follow

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Although a lot of work, you are making solid progress, Chuck.