Hawker Typhoon Mk Ib combo build, 1/48 Hasegawa

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 237 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

After finishing the Me262, it is time to go back to a piston driven aircraft.
    I have chosen the Typhoon Mk Ib from Hasegawa, a kit from 1998.
    Looking like a muscle car among the airplanes and armed with rockets it is really an impressive aircraft.
    Sprues are looking great. Likes most of the time, I will be building it OOB.

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

This is yet another great entry, my friend @johnb! I have built another version of this kit 15 years ago, have another one in my stash.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Good choice. Here's the trick that makes the project easy:

Fit the insert parts to the fuselage BEFORE further assembly, and align them carefully to the edges of the surrounding fuselage. You will then have a centerline gap. Glue a piece of .010 Evergreen strip to one side or the other in the area behind the cockpit. Then use some CA glue to get rid of the seam around the insert (part of it is along a panel line, don't fill that!) then sand smooth. Voila! Everything fits easily. The rest is just follow the instructions and assemble with care.

• Profile Photo
    Marcus Vinicius Teixeira Borges said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Look forward to the next steps John!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Great choice, John (@johnb). This should be a fun build, sign me up.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Strapped in!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

@fiveten, would love to see your 15 year old build, Spiros
    @tcinla, thanks for the advice, I did read your construction part for the Eduard Typhoon you presented on August 27, so I was already warned. Good you brought it up again.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

My 15yo build is residing at a friend's house, as build it for him: maybe I can tell him to take some pics or, even better, starting my one, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

Off to a 'not so' good start.
    In preperation of starting with the cockpit I did seperate the required parts from the sprues.
    While removing the seams, the rudder paddle part broke into two halves.
    Ofcourse it can be fixed easily.

Next I noticed that the armour plate contained severe imprints from the ejector pins.

I filled them with thinned Vallejo plastic putty and once hardened I will sand off the excessive putty.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, would love to see yours being build as well Spiros, although I don't think I can compete with your skills.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 6 months ago:

You're very competitive with everyone now, @johnb.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Nice fill on the armor plate, John (@johnb). I have never used plastic putty before, but it looks like something handy to have. I also think your skills are competitive with anyone's here. :o)

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 2 years, 6 months ago:

I need to build a Typhoon John so will be watching this closely!
    Best wishes with this one John@johnb

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Nice plane to build! What painting will you made?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Your models are among the best seen here, my friend @johnb, and, truth be told, much better than mine!
    Hasegawa tiny parts tend to be at times brittle, thankfully nothing unfixable, just time consuming.
    And yes, Hasegawa used to treat us with some nasty ejector pin marks at times in "older" kits, with the situation vastly improved at latest kits.
    Looking forward to this superb build!