Hellcat Mk 2.

Started by Simon Whitney · 33 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Well here it is, the model that I was lucky enough to win in the draw.
    Matt the boss suggested that I do a WIP for this . So here it goes.
    My overall impressions when I opened the box was a nicely moulded kit with hardly any flash, a few ejector pin marks. I found that the locating pins were a little smaller than I have been use to, and when I tried a dry fit things did not look to good but things would change as the build progressed.
    As I am a returnee to this hobby , my skills are not to the high standards shown by fellow contributers, so be gentle with me.
    Thsi is getting built OOB, in the colour scheme of the F.A.A. H.M.S. Indomitable 1844 Sqn Sub-Lieutenant W,M.C. Foster Aptil 12th 1945.

We start with the obligatry parts shot.

I started with the engine ,which was painte flat aluminium with dark iron highlights. This looked to bright so a coat of Vallejo satin varnish and the a light coat of Tamiya Smoke was applied, this had the desired effect. The reduction housing was painted a mid grey.

The cokpit was built as seen, I had a boo boo with the first instrument pane ( I melted it with cellulose thinners, silly me) lucky there was a spare.
    The decals went down quite well with just a bit of decal fix applied. A coat of satin varnish was applied over and allowed to dry. Various details were picked out before I glued the assembley together.

Next the U/C was attacked. Using the wheel well mounting points for reference , each leg was carefully glued and left to dry befor beig primed and sprayed matt white.
    These were then detailed painted anow awaiting a wash to bring out any other detail.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Joe Caputo said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Nice work, Simon. As you know, I'm following close, and picking up tips. Surprisingly, our two kits are a little different, but it's nice to compare as we go. I'm glad (and thankful) that you're the one with the camera, as well as being able to write. The world is waiting and watching !

• Profile Photo

Cheers Joe, I am having some fun with some of the pics, I cannot get them to post.
    Will update the build soon.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 years, 4 months ago:

This is looking good, Simon, thank you for posting the WIP. Looking forward to the rest of the build, and, of course, the finished model.

• Profile Photo
    William J Benton said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Nice job Simon. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo

Just a quick update.
    After priming I gave a light pre-shading of XF1.

Then a coat of XF14 to the undersides.
    This is when I found a small gap at the wing/fuselage joint on the undersides, but a swipe of Vallejo Acrylic putty and a wet cotton bud sorted that out.

Will update again soon.
    Simon.

• Profile Photo
    Nikola Pentić said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Nice work so far, keep us posted.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Nikola, my skills are not as good as the others on this forum but I am learning .
    I wll hopefully get this finished and posted before the end of the year.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Well here is a quick update. After having other thins to do for the last couple of months, I finally got back on the board.
    As you can see by the pics, I have nigh on finished the painting side, except the wheel bays and tail wheel. They will be done later on.
    Hopefully I should be able to finish this build before the end of the month.

Simon.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Simes ,that's looking great, but let me give a little tip that will bring the cockpit to life,take a short length of Tamiya tape and stick it down to a glass or similar cutting board next give it a couple of good coats of paint, any colour that you think may look like canvas ,when it's dry take a good straight edge and a NEW blade and slice up some thin strips only a couple of mm's and hey presto seat harness's.You will need two coming down from the centre /top of the seat back and two shorter ones coming up from each side of the seat base, a bit fiddly now you've got it zipped up but worth a try,once you have them in seal them with a good coat of matt varnish.

N.

• Profile Photo
    Joe Caputo said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Not much left, Simon. You're still way ahead of me (and taking pictures). I'll get back to it after seeing yours. Keep up the fine work.

• Profile Photo

Cheers for the tip Neil. it`s a bit late to do it now.
    I did get a set of P.E. belts but they were the wrong type.

• Profile Photo

You will get there Joe. I just wish I had the time earlier so that I can finish it.

• Profile Photo
    Matthew Sorensen said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Looks like she's almost ready for my favorite part, putting on the decals.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Looking good Simon! I have one of those, but it's going to be a while before I get to it...