Academy 1/48 F-16C, Hellenic Air Force

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 264 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Academy, F-16, Hellenic Air Force
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Hi everyone!

This is my Academy 1/48 F-16C, that I intend to build for a good friend. It will be a HAF Block 30 bird, as it stood early in its career, at the start of the 90s. Here's a pic of such abird from that era:

The simple and cheap Academy kit looks to be sufficient for the job. Here's a look at the sprues:

Instructions seem ok, too:

As the plane will wear HAF insignia, only the stencilling will be used from the decal sheet, which, by the way, looks well printed (but willI restrain my joy until using them...0. here is the sheet:

Construction started last night:

I assembled and attaqched the MLG bay, secured with liquefied styrene:

I patrtially assembled and attached the cockpit at the lower fuselage half:

and then attached he top fuselage:

Fit as really bad, especially at the bottom of the wings. After an initial excess material shaving, I applied liquefied styrene at all offending joints:

I then assembled the intake trunking. The assembled duct innards have the lower (wheel bay) base wrongly protruding, ruinning the duct looks, no resemblance with reality whatsoever.

To even it, I applied liquefied styrene at the start of the protrusion, then sanded it as even as I could. Looks a bit better now, but more smoothing sessions will follow:

In the meantime I assembled the wing tanks. Fit was good here.

The turbine face was attached at the circular rear fuselage section, which in turn was attached to the rear of the fuselage.

Upon drying, my F-16 received its usual QC inspection and corrective actions by my younger son, Nikos (QC/2).

Audit Result: acceptable

Recommended action(s): proceed to sanding and filling

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Spiros, I like the aircraft you have decided on and your helper really gets involved early which is great to see! Like father like son! Was the F16 the successor to the F1 in the Hellenic Airforce? Looking forward to this one and enjoy!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

That is some fast progress my friend, @fiveten
    Pity that quite some sanding and filling, as advised by your son, is required.
    The Greek camo scheme is beautiful, much better than the greyish F16's we have here.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

PFP fast lane build!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friends @johnb and @airbum!
    Yep, some serious sanding/filling there...

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Spiros. I will be following your build closely. The F-16 is one of my favourite fighters and this old Academy kit brings back fond memories from my youth. I am sure you will produce a mighty fine looking Falcon.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @mornem!
    Yep, let's give this old mold chap a chance!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looking forward to this! I love the Aegean Ghost schemed on the F-16 and F-4. Until now, I'd thought of the F-16 as a rather boring aircraft - I'd built one early A-model and didn't intend to build more. But after building that Chilean F-16, and adding a Sufa to my stash, I started realizing the many non-USA 16s have very appealing schemes, and take some interesting new shapes with new spine additions and conformal tanks. I've decided I am definitely going to add a Greek 16 to the "to-built" list!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @gkittinger!

Your Chilean Falcon was, simply, SPECTACULAR! In fact, it was the spark to kickstart my Hellenic Falcon.

Indeed, F-16s sport some amazing camos, the HAF ghost scheme being one of them (which, by the way, was inspired by US adversary like camos).

and an update

The intake trunking was finalized and attached. Fit is dog kit style:

The nose was attached too, fit was nice here...

Onto excess plastic shaving, shaping and initial coarse sanding!

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Spiros- I like that term “dog kit style”. Appropriate.
    Happy sanding and make sure you check in with your QC inspector regularly.

I’ll be following along.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Oh boy, now that is a serious mismatch, Spiros. @fiveten
    For sure you will get that done properly.
    You can always ask your 'quality manager' to have a look.

• Profile Photo

Thanksmy friends @eb801 and @johnb!
    Bastard file and 220grit killer sandpaper in action!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

WUF - what a dog - and you are making it act right my friend @fiveten!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @airbum!

This kit looks looks like a cloned/evolved Hasegawa F-16. Areas like the intake look almost identical in parts design and I wonder if the Hasegawa kit was easier to put together. By the way, I cannot understand why the Hasegawa/Academy intake was designed like this. It is unnecessary complicated and ends up wrongly looking, with an annoying fillet inside the duct, which is almost imopossible to fully blend, no matter how meticulous you fill and sand there.

Clearly, the newer (and almost triple priced) Tamiya kit looks light years ahead from the Academy. Is it almost triple better? Probably not, but it looks crucially better!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Spiros I am very much looking forward to the final product. I am sure it will be a stunning rendition of arguably the best looking of the "Teen" fighters. I came across a Hellenic AF F-16 C in "special markings". This is arguably best markings I have seen on a F-16!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.