Academy 1/48 F-16C, Hellenic Air Force

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 264 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Academy, F-16, Hellenic Air Force
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Looks great, Spiros (@fiveten). Modern planes don't usually have a bunch of markings on them, so not too much to do there. It seems like it is all the stuff that hangs on the plane (landing gear, tanks, missiles, ECM pods, etc) that takes time. Nice job on the brake lines.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Thanks my friend @gblair!
    Indeed, not too much decalling is left to do (and all of it being lowviz).

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @gkittinger!

Well, HAF F-16s have an interesting story: from 1988 (when new), till more or less 1995 (still "new"), they had their fins painted as my one, meaning no Sq emblem. So my chosen scheme had no chance to weather a lot, most F-16s were kept in shelters anyway by that time (then we bought more with a lot of them kept outdoors).

So, my preferred "less" weathering that I am going to apply, will more or less represent how most HAF F-16s looked by, say 1992...

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years ago:

Rumor has it 1992 was a very good year... 😉

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Great work on the decalling my friend @fiveten.
    Especially the number conversion, must have given you some nervous moments.

• Profile Photo

Indeed, 1992 was a good year @gkittinger! Moreover, AMRAAMS were not operational at HAF back then, which makes the use of AIM-9s historically correct!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Truth is that Academy decals, to my relief, behave solidly so far, even the tiny walk lines were easy to apply (I have to apply four more, but I believe I will be OK...)
    So, the numbers cutting and bashing was challenging, but, to my relief, manageable.

• Profile Photo

Decalling finished

Stencilling provided is not that much, I would not mind if some more would be provided to busy up the looks. Registration was not sharp and the smaller leters were blurred, but they look ok. Here are the results:

Though sufficient glue seems to exist underneath the decal sheet, decals seem not to adhere very strongly. Having had some graphic times with Academy decals in the past, I was VERY careful with them. Silvering appeared, but, to my pleasant surprise, Future penetrated under them upon aft application (with some extra help by me, "hurting" them with my Excel blade at places, so Future could go everywgere.) and silvering diminished.

IP and side consoles are provided as decals, that will look very nice, under my closed canopy.

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

They look perfect, Spiros.
    Always a surprise to see how the decals behave.
    After all the work done on your model you just want those decals to get on nicely.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @johnb!
    It's simply great that Academy have lately their decals more and more printed by Cartograf, with the old style Academy decals still found at cheaper kits re-releases (like their 1/72 F-104 or this 1/48 F-16...).

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Nice work my friend. Great that you got rid of most silvering.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum! I have to say I am double suspicious and double cautious with those "old school", nice looking, bu,t at times, weirdly behaving Academy decals!

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years ago:

Great progress Spiros, love the subtlety of the scheme and the details you have added really make this a very attractive build. I am really enjoying it and looking forward to all the white parts with the Spiro’s touch!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @adrianstarling!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Looks great, Spiros (@fiveten). I also tend to be suspicious of kit decals and usually try to replace them with aftermarket decals. Remember the old ESCI decals that were like trying to get sheets of paper to adhere to the plastic? On my last model, a DH Vampire by Trumpeter, the aftermarket decals I used had some problems, and I used some of the kit decals to replace them, and they worked perfectly.