Academy 1/48 F-16C, Hellenic Air Force

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 264 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Academy, F-16, Hellenic Air Force
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years ago:

Nothing beats the quality of Cartograf decals but you sure beat those older Academy decals into submission. Your Falcon is almost ready to soar!

That beautiful paint job blows me away every time I look at it, Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Thanks my friends @gblair and @eb801!

Yep, old school Academy decals may detach form the model and self destroy, without any warning,,,

The ghost scheme is really nice, different and refreshing, isn't it? In fact, it' a top gun adversary scheme, or, at least, it's HEAVILLY based on it. Apart from our Vipers, all operational F-4Es wear it...

, some F-5As (now retired)... and two Mirage F-1CGs (sadly, also retired)...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Even with such a variety in types you see the "family" resemblance. (Fabulous F1)

• Profile Photo

Indeed you do, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Stop posting aircraft pictures, Spiros (@fiveten)! Now I have ideas for 3 more planes to build. The F-4 looks really cool. My list just keeps getting longer. :o)

• Profile Photo

Yep, the merits of ghost scheme for planes operating at the Greek landscape were realised soon after the first batch of ghost F-16s started to operate, during late 80s.
    The result, especially as experienced in the F-4s, is stunning: together with the newer "no smoking" engines, this smoking giant became "invisible"! And more charming, as well, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo

Update

Interestingly, and nicely as a varuation, HAF Block30 Falcons had black main wheels!
    So, after having filled and sanded the inner tire waIls nasty ejector pin marks, I gave the complete main wheels a black coating... I also painted black the frong tire, the cockpit antiglare areas and the corresponding seat areas... The exhaust nozzle received its inner off white coating (to simulate the ceramic coating of the real thing)... .
    More to come!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Some nice progress steps, Spiros @fiveten
    Great approach to simulate the ceremic coating, looks very realistic.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

All black! that is something different. I may have seen it on other F-16's but right now I do not recall any. Always nice to get all the details in proper progress - keep'em comin'

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum! I love all these small "norm" variations.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

All-black wheels certainly simplifies the painting, Spiros (@fiveten). Painting tires and hubs is usually one of my least fun things to do. Ceramic looks great.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @gblair! It was funny, I had always thought that all F-16s had de rigeur white wheels. Even if I saw the HAF Block 30s sporting black mains, I could not accept it in my mind and modelled them with white ones...
    Talking about institutionalization, or, better, shade vertigo...

• Profile Photo

Landing gear installation in progress...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

MLG looks awesome my friend, @fiveten
    Those breaking lines are perfect, I presume you used stretched sprue for that.