High ”tediosity factor” on my new model

Started by Ralph Clements · 89 · 9 years ago · float plane, HE-115B
  • Profile Photo
    Ralph Clements said 9 years, 6 months ago:

I started in on the 1/48 Heinkel HE-115B floatplane, a Special Hobby kit a week ago. I have hardly anything to show for it so far, lots of canopy masking - 12 clear canopy parts, with much framework, very minute PE parts, resin, etc. There are 7 steps in the instructions for the interior, I have completed two. I may post some images as I go along if deemed worthy and not too shabby.

A real interesting plane, though, and big too, longer than my 1/48 B-25, even without the nose cone. Once its up on its floats it will take up some space for sure. The floats are longer than any of the 1/48 scale single engine planes I've built.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Hey, Ralph, stick with it. I'm sure once you've completed these tedious bits then the rest of the kit will go along at a better pace. From the look of the box art the cockpit and canopy are very important visually for the look of the finished model. We don't get too many seaplanes posted here, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished model.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Try looking in the kit & find something you can glue together & not affect anything else. That's what I do when I feel like I'm getting nowhere.

• Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 9 years, 6 months ago:

This is at the top of my wish list, and I'll be following this build closely, so don't spare the narrative or photos. I think Tom Cleaver built one a while back, but his build speed is superhuman-I don't get much bench time these days.

• Profile Photo

I have never built a "Special Hobby" kit before. I mailordered this one, because I wanted the plane. Unsure about Special Hobby, if a manufacturer I was more familiar with offered a HE-115, I would probably have got that instead. This is a little weird. For example,

-there are no pins and matching sockets to help align the fuselage halves,wings or floats

-the sprues have letters, but no numbers for the parts. So if the instructions say part G3, you have to turn back to the front of the instructions for a diagram of sprue "G' to see which part is 3.

• there are two identical, symmetrical interior parts that go on either side of the fuselage. One is resin, the other is not, hmmm...why?

and so on...

It is different so I am taking it slow and easy.

• Profile Photo

Okay, since I have encouragement now (!), here is a pic to illustrate the ”tediosity factor”

It shows the pilots port side console, with a penny for scale. Sorry I couldn't focus it better. But look close, you'll see 6 levers sticking up out of it. Those are PE parts. There is supposed to be 8. One flew away, I guess, I didn't see it vanish. The other dissappeared too, but was located. It had fallen off my tweezers and got lost in a drop of glue. The glue was C.A., and the part was unmanageable after that. I hope no one notices 2 are missing!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Special Hobby's are definitely buildable, but more work than usual. I have built quite a few, their biggest advantage is kitting airplanes NObody else will do, a 1/48 He-115 for instance. The lack of locating pins is no biggie, just glue carefully. The most impoirtant thing with these is TEST-FITTING. Before you glue anything, make sure it will go where it's supposed to, (after you figure out where, sometimes the instructions are vague). Mostly problems are encountered with the interior parts, floorboards, bulkheads, instrument panels and such. Sometimes I glue in support strips and tabs ( like the old Monograms had) to hold things in position for test fitting, and more secure glueing. Engine mounts can be another pitfall, you might have to invent your own mounts for these too sometimes. Wing to fuselage fits can be fun, but this is a mid-wing so should be OK. I bought this kit for my kid, want one myself as I do like this airplane. Somebody on Hyper-Diaper did a real nice one, if you care to search. Happy building.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Oooh spooky...I was looking at an He115 in the shops yesterday, albeit the 1/72 Matchbox kit. Good luck with this 1/48 "biggie" Ralph, after conquering the Stuka, i'm sure you'll manage this one 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks All,
    Bill -"hyper diaper" - thats funny!...I did read a build report on Britmodeller pointing out some of the pitfalls, including engine mounts - there seem to be none, also all the interior parts vs. the fuselage halves, and lack of wing mounts - these huge wings are supposed to just be butt-jointed on. Maybe they get sturdier after they are also attached to the float framework. So I am proceeding very carefully, considering and planning to augment the kit as needed to make it fit and stay together.

Vague instructions? Well they are not great, maybe they could be worse.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Ralph:

You can do it, it just might take more time than some of the other kits out there. Not "box shaker" stuff.

I'm rootin' for you!

If somebody had told me we'd have one of these in that scale back a couple of years ago, I'd have told them they were nuts! 

Looking forward to the 1/48 Me 323, model and gerbil habitat...

"Hyper diaper", that is hilarious, and in some cases, absolutely spot on.
  • Profile Photo

Ralph:

Love the tediosity! Mind if I use that? Real appropiate in a lot of builds.
  • Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Ralph, good luck with that kit, the few i have seen build in the WWW looked good, this will be no shake n bake kit but you will be rewarded with an unique kit.

• Profile Photo

Bernard you are welcome to 'tediosity'.
    Here's another term I coined you can use as needed. Though not so applicable to model building, anyone who has to use computers much can probably understand it: "Disimprovement" This can be applied to a lot of things but un-asked for software 'upgrades' imposed on users by others are what caused me to come up with it.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Disimprovement fits a lot of "projects" messed up by me, resinding in a certain box upstairs on the attic. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Ralph:

Absolutely! Gotta have them "upgrades" so beloved by IT folks everywhere. 

Somehow, it just slows things down and is less efficient than the previous, but it shows their hearts (?) are in the right place. 

Or, after a fairly disasterous implementation, it is sidetracked, for further study and/or a "better" version. 

I used to see this when I was working on a regular basis. 

I was impressed, I can tell you. 

Bernd:

One of the guys in my club calls his "the closet of shame". I also like "shelf of doom".