HS-123A1 GasPatch Model 1/48

Started by Roberto Colaianni · 41 · 3 years ago · Gaspatch., HS-123A1
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I agree with Tom... This looks fantastic.

• Profile Photo
    Roberto Colaianni said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Hello everybody, unfortunately in the last weeks I didn't have to much time to dedicate at the project, and the only progress concern painting fuselage, just a firts green shade, special effect has still to follow...The upper wing is not glued yet, ut the central support, already permanently fixed to the fuselage, are enough to keep it in place, confirming a very good enginnering made by GasPatch.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Looks outstanding, Roberto. That camo is superbly done!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Roberto, just stumbled on your build and couldn’t avoid dropping a line just to compliment your excellent work, as showned inside the cockpit and the complex upper wing camo.
    I bet it will be a winner when completed. BTW, looking at the undersides, both the 65 and the 04, leads me to believe you mask the ribbing on the ailerons, right?

• Profile Photo
    Roberto Colaianni said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Hi Pedro,

Yes, I mask the ribbing of all parts are fabric coated on the real plane. Basically my technique consist in Airbrushing a base color ( normally slightly different from the one applyed on metal part on the real plane). Then i Mask the ribbs with jammydog tape (you can find from 0,5 mm wide, 0,75 mm, 1mm, 1,25 ecc...) then I airbrush the base color darkened, on the tape, trying to create the thin darker area you can see ust along the ribs. If the effect is too prominent, I spray very thinned color at low pressure, on the all surface, untill the contrast is toned down to the desired level. Tamiya and Gunze are perfect colors for this job, since can sustain a very high thinning rate ( up to 8 part of thinner, 1 part of color), keep in mind once the plane is fixed on the base, the lower surface are not reciving too much light, therefore dont be afraid to exagerate the effect on the undersurface. Some picture of my 1/72 Corsair may clarify:

Pic 1. The contour of the fabric area is masked.

Pic.2 The lighter color applied is well visible.

Pic.3 Ribs are masked.

Pic.4 Darkened blue airbrushed on the masking tape, and finally the tape is removed.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Grat work on the cockpit! And the prewar splinter.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Thank you Roberto. I might try that method someday on a specific plane that had that look on the ailerons or any other part, like you show on your Corsair

• Profile Photo
    Roberto Colaianni said 4 years, 1 month ago:

After a long break, I' m back trying to go on with the little bird. Keep weathering the paint, all done with airbrush, few inspection door, lightened with Valleio acrylics brushed on.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Great to have this build back - such beautiful work you have done here. And as you mentioned a few years ago Gaspatch really makes some great kits with loads of fine details. Now it only needs the last bits 🙂 I'm tuned in on this build.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Nice work. I have this kit and will be referring to yours when I build it.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 1 month ago:

This is looking great. Building a plane with two wings requires more intestinal fortitude than I have. Great job!

• Profile Photo

George,
    if you change your mind about two wings bird, this coud be the right kit to start with. Wing support are very strudy, and the fit is so nice that the upper wing stay in place without the needs to be glued.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Gaspatch made a really excellent work with this kit, it absolutly demand to be build.

• Profile Photo

Due to coronavirus, the all country, Italy I mean, is in qurarantine. Forbidden to leave home. Therefore a lot of free time for modelling. I start to put togheter the engine, not fixed yet to the airframe. All insigna has been painted using Montex mask, except the rudder's svastika, ant the horizontal yelloe bar, that needs to be toned doen a litle, to match the "L". Unfortunately I broke one of the fusolage upper wing frame. Not an issue, I will fix it just before to glu the wing in place.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Looks great. The paint and weathering look very convincing. I still think this has one too many wings. Sorry to hear you are homebound, but better safe than sorry. I haven't been out in a couple of weeks. Nice to be retired and don't need to go out, as well as having a stash of models and supplies to use.