Hurricane Mk.IIC nostalgia build – SMER 1/72

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 64 · 9 years ago · 1/72, Hurricane, smer
  • Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Dmitry, from the reference material I have, i'd have to agree with Seamus on both counts!

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Great work on scribing panel lines and rivets, both look very neat. Would you please share some details of your technique?

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Good work here I see.
    Looks really fine Dmitry.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Martin, there is nothing special. I use scriber from Trumpeter (also I use it for many other tasks, not only for scribing), mini saw (I use it primary for restoration of a panel lines on fuselage after sanding), various scribing templates (very useful things) and ruler with electrical insulating tape on the flip side to avoid slipping.

Usually I use mini riveter for rivets, but for screws I use a drill (0.34 mm on this photos). I think that photo is self-describing (on a step 5 I use toothpick to remove dust from panel lines), but if you have any questions - please ask.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

So, thank you for your suggestions on color - I've used Duck Egg Green for the entire cockpit. Main wheel bay is also painted with aluminum color. Pilot's seat, gun sight, seat belts will be installed later, during the final assembly after painting. I've used oils for wash and some Tamiya's pigments for weathering.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Superb detailing there Dmitry, looking good.

• Profile Photo

Some updates. Fuselage is done - glued and sanded. I've made a landing light on the right wing and glued wings too. Gun barrels are cut off and should be replaced. It's an old kit, but fit is very good!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great progress Dmitry, keep up the good work mate 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Wings are ready for the final assembly. I've added navigation lights and made a missed landing light transparent cowling for the right wing. Now I'm working on the radiator and when it will be finished I will join fuselage with wings (finally!).

Landing gear is also almost finished and ready for painting - other details will be added to it after assembly.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Great progress Dmitry, this is going to be amazing when its finished!

• Profile Photo

I hope so, Gregor!

I've added some details to radiator intake, painted it from inside (as I can see it should be black as the overall bottom color) and installed it.

I've glued together wings and fuselage, installed all other smaller parts and empennage. Anti-dazzling shades is made of PE parts from some previous kit. Exhausts are drilled.

So, I need to mask wheel bay, radiator, interior and lights and after that all will be ready for paint works.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Nice work Dmitry, I like the home made jig/stand.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Dunno how you guys work in 72nd scale with all the detail involved...I'd go blind! 🙁

• Profile Photo

it's funny, but this is the first time I've spent 15 minutes on building this stand and now I'm wondering why I've never done this before? it's very useful (and cheap!).

A small detail size is not so big issue as it seems - I use lamp with a big magnifying glass and it's pretty comfortable. The bigger issue is the tremor in your hands and fingers, so no beer during the cockpit assembly 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Looking GOOD! More sellar work Dmitry.