Kinetic F-16XL 1/48

Started by Matt Buxton · 10 · 4 years ago · Experimental, F-16XL, Kinetic, Viper, Whatif
  • Profile Photo
    Matt Buxton said 4 years, 8 months ago:

I have liked this design since I first saw it as a child and now I'm building one. This is my first build log so any comments and criticisms are welcome.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good so far.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 8 months ago:

@throwaway, that is a BIG wing. Looking forward to this one!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Also looking forward to see how this comes out. The big wing sure changes how the F-16 looks.

• Profile Photo

Slow progress to get the main gear in as I messed up giving the gear bay a wash before a gloss coat and ruined the paint. So a respray job and a tricky job getting the parts to line up meant that I didn't get much done. I still need to touch up the paint in places and gloss coat, wash the gear bays. I might go and do the ordinance and seats while things dry.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I'm currently having a bit of a hard time with panel liner. When applied straight onto paint (acrylic) it flows nicely but stains the paint (see prev shots of gear bay). If I gloss coat first the panel liner doesn't stain the paint but also doesn't flow like it did or should. In other news the fuselage is complete! I'm moving on to the weapons load (of which there is a lot). I'm planning on a completely unrealistic load of pretty much everything.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 8 months ago:

more and more Mirage / F-35 (the real one that is - from SAAB) over this build - keep rockin'

• Profile Photo
    Don Mk1a said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good so far. I'm curious how you will mask off the u/c bays while you paint the fuselage though.

That wing reminds me of Batman's cape. This could easily be a new Batplane.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Buxton said 4 years, 7 months ago:

I've been kept away from posting updates as I've been restoring an old Edwardian fireplace and repairing my WWII bomb shelter's leaky roof. I didn't get many pics as I finished the build but it is now done and painted. There're a few mistakes and errors but I kinda rushed finishing it to be honest. My main complaint about the kit is that the walkway decals disintegrated while being applied in places but it was a fun build all in all.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Terrific build. The decals seem to get swallowed in all of that plastic and paint. I also struggle with panel liners and switch from acrylic to oil-based washes and back again. Everything looks like it came out great on this build. One of these days you will need to tell us about your WW2 bomb shelter. I'm sure there is an interesting story there. :o)