Last one of 2022: Mars Models 1/48 Lavochkin La-15

Started by Tom Cleaver · 9 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 3 months ago:

File this one under Another Model of an Obscure Subject I Never Thought I Would See.
    The La-15 was the last Lavochkin fighter. It was a competitor to become the VVS main fighter with the MiG-15. One can see looking at it that the design team had the opportunity to take a look at all the paperwork on the Ta-183 the Soviets found when they captured the Focke-Wulf factory.

The LA-15 was smaller and lighter than the MiG-15, powered by a British Derwent while the MiG was powered by the Nene. It was more an air-superiority design, with three 23mm cannon, than a bomber destroyer like the MiG (which is what was wanted, to shoot down the B-36). There's not a lot of information out there, but what there is says it was more maneuverable than the MiG-15, was less likely to "swap ends" than the MiG in an extended tight turn, climbed faster and had better pilot visibility with a canopy that had less framing. It needed more development work than the MiG did, so in the end "good enough is good enough and perfect is a pain in the assets" ruled the day. Some 240 were produced in 1951-52, and allegedly a few were given "combat tests," which must mean they went to Korea - where they likely remained anonymous since the airplane was so similar to the MiG-15 in configuration.

The La-15 was out of the Soviet inventory by 1954, but two remained, and one is at Monino Air Museum.

This kit from Mars Models was unannounced; I ran across it while looking for something else on eBay and was entranced since I always though it was an interesting airplane from what little I ever found. The price was right ($45) and delivery from Poland was pretty quick.

This is a better kit quality-wise than previous Mars Models releases. It's still a "limited run" kit, but with careful assembly there is much less sanding down joints and rescribing. The upper forward part of the fuselage has the most difficult fit. I eventually got it close with about ten large rubber bands squeezing it into position (photo of further progress soon).

I chose to make the wing fences from .010 plastic sheet rather than use the very thin photoetch wing fences.

Right now, this one looks like it will be painted by Saturday, making it the last completed in 2022 (though decals may wait till Sunday/Monday).

If you're a Soviet jets fan, this one is worth looking for and getting.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Indeed an great subject, my friend @tcinla and great progress so far!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

I have never heard of Mars Models, Tom (@tcinla), but the detail looks pretty good. This should build up into a nice model.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Very nice subject to finish 2022 with, Tom @tcinla
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Final assembly complete - so, last one assembled of 2022. Painting tomorrow, so first one painted of 2023.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looks really great, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Nice progress, Tom @tcinla
    Looking forward to see it painted.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

The wing fences look good, Tom (@tcinla). I always struggle with PE that just sits on top of something without some structure to hold it in place. The replacement ones look just as good and were probably much easier to deal with. On to the paint...

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 3 months ago:

That's a great find, Tom. Thanks for sharing.