Messerchmitt Me-261 ”Adolfine”, Airmodel, 1/72

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 44 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Luftwaffe, Me-261, Messerschmitt
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Oops, here it is @airbum! A cutaway! Just popped up in my Google search. Looks like there is a half wall only at the port side. Will try to replicate it. There are also some interesting photos at that site. Worth a check! (https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/me-261-engine-exhaust-routing.50309/).
    Thanks for the initiative my friend!
    I'll try the post-in-text pics next time!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Great cut-away! Clearly shows a "halfwall" just behing the glass area! As you have pointed out before the research can be more that half the fun! Looking forward to see the wall!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

More than a month passed and my Adolfine was untouched.
    So, taking over cheap excuses, here is some progress made today:

Halfwall added and cockpit retouched.

Started to trim the canopy.
    I think it mates with the fuselage better than before

"Bitsandpieces" at almost finished stages of preparation.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Vac-progress - great stuff my friend! I still have my first proper vac-form canopy luring in the distance.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum!
    I will do my best to fit the canopy there...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Looking forward to seeing this one completed. I have never been brave enough to try a full vacuform, in fact, I generally avoid even vacuform canopies. Maybe someday..

• Profile Photo

Thanks George @gblair!

This is my first vac, a lot of mistakes being made, overcome in a way or another..

My second will flow more smoothly!

Anyway, here's my update!

Glued the beautiful, but flimsy and weak MLG at the wheel wells.

There were no retraction struts provided, so I borrowed two leftover Mirage 2000 ones!

Added the beautiful resin wheels to the flimsy struts with tiny axles, that were additionally half the thickness of the corresponding wheels holes; hence my "jigging" device.

Fit the rear wheel, and

The Adolfine stands on her feet!

What a beautiful and rare posture!

If the MLG survives to the finish, my Adolfine will permanently rest in my display case ON two similar blocks like the pic's Humbrol tins, as I don't think the super thin resin gear legs will resist sagging or breaking!

Will stand on her feet occasionally for admiration!

• Profile Photo

I would bet the gear is stronger than you think. Worst case, it will just look like a hard landing.

• Profile Photo

I suppose you are right, George @gblair!
    But it will take me some time to be daring!
    And another update:

Glued the LG doors, which were made from scratch, and butt fitted the nice resin propellers (no rotating props here).
    This is a sporty looking big plane!

• Profile Photo

The propellers were switched, as they turn inwards.
    A top antenna was fabricated from a ...1/72 Mirage 2000 inflight refuelling probe.
    A loop underbelly anenna is made out of streched sprue.
    Tiny side fusellage windows were represented by silvergrey decal, appropriately cut.
    Some touchups were done here and there.
    Next, we are off to (light) weathering slowly slowly.

• Profile Photo

Looks awesome, Spiros (@fiveten). I need a clinic on how you mask, paint, and attach the main canopy. Looking forward to seeing the canopy added. You must be saving the best till last!

• Profile Photo

Thanks George @gblair!
    I hope I save the best and not the worst for last -lol!
    Moreover, the RLM 70 was selfmade, and the remaining in the tin is not at its best condition...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    This is definitely not a kit for beginners... and I commend you for tackling it. I have yet to try building anything that was vacuum formed. We are blessed to have several individuals here on Imodeler who routinely scratch build their own models from the ground up, using a vacuum forming machine, plastic sheeting and raw skills to produce whatever they want. Marc Barris is one who immediately comes to mind, and his work is phenomenal. Someday I will attempt to build my own Mitsubishi G3M "Nell" in 1/48, unless someone comes to our rescue and makes one available as a main stream kit.

Lately I have noticed that you are venturing more into scratch building things, such as all the improvements you have done to this kit, and your Nichimo "Jake".

You also did a fine job custom mixing your RLM 70. Well done my friend, I'm looking forward to the next installment.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis @lgardner!

The Adolfine was given to me as a present from a fellow modeler, some 12 years ago.

It was beautifully packed in its plastic bag, you know how those limited things are!

No hard boxes, no fancy artworks, just plain vacformed plastic, beautiful resin, a sort of instruction leaflet and so on.

Well, in its simplicity and rareness, I loved it, immediately started to build it: my first vac!

Had to move to my new house, then my lovely boys arrived, so it was left behind.

Tried to catchup with it last year, many disasters happened to it, due to my vac inexperience.

To quote them will take a full article, just imagine that the fuselage broke in two...can you imagine this happen in a vac?

The model is full of funny reinforcements, thank goodness you cannot see them (but you can notice them in the uneven surfaces...)

Anyways, being me (!), I just cannot leave for long a model half finished. Moreover, I really believe (bizarrely maybe) that every model deserves to be built.

So here she is!

Many parts were scratchbuilt, less than perfect result, but she is approaching the finish line!

And a small update:

Finished the weathering and gave her a coat of satin-to-matt finish:

Had QC thumbs up for the coating, now final bits and touchups to be done after curing.

P.S. 1. Marc Barris @marc jobs are truly outstanding

1. ...1/48 vacformed Nell?...sounds challenging, but what a goal!
  • Profile Photo

I hand painted the canopy (why changing the habits of a lifetime? -lol) and, after some final microtrimming,

I affixed it with white glue.

White glue seems to fill the offending gaps, but anyway, I will run another round.

Affixed the astrodome in a similar manner.
    A couple more white glue rounds will be needed.