Messerschmitt Bf 109E-1, 1/48, Legion Condor, Spain FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 85 · 3 years ago · 1/48, airbum, Bf109, Bf109E-1, Eduard, Emil, halfworks, Legion Condor, Messerschmitt, quarterscale
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Migrating from the EoJ Group Build

As I mentioned in my Japanese 109 this one needed a transfer to ETO from EoJ GB

And with the European Theatre of Operations there are really only two options I can think of that had round markings if the transfer shall go easy as it were promised some nice round red markings.

One is the black round marking that more or less started the dark period in our history, the other is a bit more colorful as a machine captured by the French (WNr 1304). For a Spanish version I do have masks for either 6 o 119 or 6 o 123. The French has to be sourced.
    The first pictures has been used in my EoJ 109; https://imodeler.com/groups/the-empire-of-japan-1919-1946/forum/topic/messerschmitt-me-109-e-3a-1-48-eduard/

First up, one of the eduard cockpit in front of a Tamiya that was used for the other build

And just to show that it was intended for Japan. I did find out that the Japanese were E-4 ot 7’s, and they had a different hood/screen frame.

Well, I got a long way before changing horse in the middle of the stream, and here you have the fuselage assembled.

The assembly gave me some challenges, as it was from a set of overtrees – absolutely no instructions, and the E kits are very different from the F and later from eduard.

Long story short, it did go this far today.

As the stick had been moved forward, the elevator needed to go down. The eduard Emil has the tail cast as one, and I actually had glued it in place before discovering my mistake. Careful cutting did the job – and I got all the moveables in place today.

Now, where do I go from here? Well, how about you guys let me know your preference. Send me a comment stating Spain or France, preferably with a reason, but just mentioning the country will be fine (Spain being Legion Condor as you may have guessed)

Lets hear it – where shuld this one go if you could choose? (the title will be changed to the correct one in due course)

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Erik, I assume when you mention the 109 captured by France is this the one you have in mind? Apparently the french captured 2 airworthy 109s during the phoney war but this one is the only one I’ve seen so far in numerous photos, and supposedly is the one that was later passed to Britain
    My vote goes to this captured Emil 😉

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Erik @airbum, it is hard to go wrong with any of the paint schemes you are thinking about. I think any 109 in a paint scheme other than the standard mottle is cool.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Erik @airbum! I am for the Legion Condor camo. Even the single top colour Bfs (RLM02 I think) look (personally) great with these Legion Condor markings.
    Trully, as Gerorge @gblair mentioned, anything non standard will look cool anyway.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

And the votes are;

Spain: 1½
    France 1½

So I guess I have to start yet another 109 to make both. . . . the pressure. . . . heyho off to the bench we go! I have masks for a Spanish, and the decals for the captured french will be ordered this weekend.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Let's face it my friend @airbum! You knew it (but you couldn't admit it) from the start you cannot do without both of them, no matter how hard you've tried.
    It will be a joy for us to see both of them emerging from your workshop!
    All the best!

• Profile Photo

Spiros @fiveten my friend, you can see the future I suspect 🙂

Well . with the arrival of decals this thread will have a new heading, and one more might be added - stay tuned!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I vote for two instead of one!

• Profile Photo

@gblair, two it is - french markings on the way, legion condor paint masks ready!

• Profile Photo

Prime Time

Got the Emil primed

The other day I got around to priming the Legion Condor 109E

Not all that interesting to look at, but all in all an important step, allowing a thorough check of the assembly. Sanding, maybe filling and sanding, and it is off to get some black color as the markings in general will be painted on.

next up a spot of black?

• Profile Photo

And the headline is changed to reflect the new destiny of this model.

• Profile Photo

Following along the priming, my friend @airbum, boring but necessary, specially with some difficult paints.
    No Spance or Frain anymore...such a pity...
    "Politically correct" headline now!
    Yours truly slowly infected by the 109 virus...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I have been doing some reading about the Legion Condor in Spain. I originally didn't care much for the paint schemes in Spain, but after spending some time reading about the period, the paint schemes and aircraft are growing on me. Some of the other aircraft used in Spain are very interesting. I have discovered some interesting 109 decals and may jump into the fray soon.

• Profile Photo

George @gblair, I did an ancient SMER 1/48 Sparviero long ago. Finished in Spain Scheme. I loved it, Spanish camos becoming a love affair ever since!

• Profile Photo

Careful now @gblair - it may be difficult to stop!
    @fiveten, Spiros, I am sorry to have let you down by being politically correct 😀
    Any day now I will have to start a new tread on the French 109, so better rename now.

Anyway, not a lot to report this time, but today my local bookstore (yes you read it right - I prefer a physical store) had a new book I ordered.

I have to confess it was a bit expensive, and first impressions are not all good - that may change when I get to do some more armchairaviating with it. There were a picture of a pristine Emil with polished propeller though . . . . .