Messerschmitt Bf 109E-1, 1/48, Legion Condor, Spain FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 85 · 3 years ago · 1/48, airbum, Bf109, Bf109E-1, Eduard, Emil, halfworks, Legion Condor, Messerschmitt, quarterscale
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Great touchups, my friend @airbum.
    Did you use too the Tamiya acryl to touchup the peeloffs?
    Thin paint leaking around masked edges is the story of my life...
    Keep touchinup!
    This bird is getting better and better!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks my friend @fiveten. I used tamiya, but think I made it too thin - it is the semimatt black, and when the decals are on it will get some Tamiya acrylic clear matt. The 63 will be repaired with the same - xtracolor enamel - as it was painted in, and as the repairs will not overlap the acrylic I should be OK there.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Sometimes I think a build gets cursed. Some go great, and others seem to snowball with problems. Tuck all of these lessons learned for later use.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, thats it! - anyway, a bit of a shame, as it is my first Eduard Emil, and it really is a nice kit. I am used to their F and G's but for Emils, untill this one, I have been using Tamiyas very easy kit. I will have to build another (or two) of these I think, just to get it right - oh yes, and then I have a few AMG kits for the earlier versions that I have to get started. What a pressure - a very nice one that is 🙂

(and it is still a bit to go for the 109 109's - glad I did not choose 190's or 262's)

• Profile Photo

Go on and build them masterpieces, my friend @airbum!
    I love following, problem solving included!

• Profile Photo

I Know you are kidding about the shame, because this build looks great. Every model teaches us something, and for me, it's usually a lesson I learned before but forgot. Your build has gotten me thinking about doing something from North Africa. This build has become a quest, but you are getting close to the end.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hello Erik, @airbum
    Sorry for the late reply, and for not answering your questions sooner about the upcoming Mistel build(s). I have 4 of the Revell / Pro Modeler Ju-88 A4 kits in the stash. My understanding is that these are the older Dragon kit in a newer Pro Modeler box. I also have the actual Dragon Mistel S-2 kit that comes as a Ju-88 G-1 and a FW-190F-8, with both planes in the box.

Then I have a Paragon Designs resin conversion set that will allow me to use one of the Pro Modeller Ju-88 A4's and install a Bf-109 on top. This resin set has the Ju-88 fuselage extension plug and the necessary mounting struts for the parasite fighter.

I will most likely build two Mistel models. One will be with a Ju-88 G-10 / FW-190 and the other will have a Bf-109 on top, and will most likely be a Ju-88 A4 below. But I have enough parts to build up 3 different nose warheads, and some of the Mistel training planes retained the standard Ju-88 greenhouse nose. This Dragon kit has 3 seperate warhead nose cones in the box, and choices for a long projector nose cone or a short style.

So to be perfectly honest with you I am not exactly sure what I want to do at this very moment... but chances are I will build at least two of them when I start. I have a 1/48 scale Dragon Ju-188 under way now too... and it will have the BMW radial engines.

I have been really enjoying reading all of your various 109 builds... and I'm sorry to see how the paint has peeled up when you removed the masks on this one. I am sure that you have a method in mind to fix this small mishap. Please keep on posting these incredible works of art for us to drool over...

• Profile Photo

Those are some very interesting kits @lgardner! I managed to buy a few MustHave kits, but they are just ICM sprues and some resin for the nose (long shaft) and the struts, though there were two left hand struts in one of the kits and large airbubbles in another strut in the other kit. Enough on that for now - perhaps we may have a small mistel group some day 🙂

@gblair, I was not really kidding (not that much at least) about it being a shame, I do not think I have given the Eduard Emil enough TLC/attention, and that is the shame part - it deserves better, as it is actually a nice kit. Fortunately I have a few of them in the stash, and I will be paying more attention to the next build, perhaps it will be the french captured one? Not sure for now.

• Profile Photo

I go with @gblair about these builds, my friend @airbum:
    mishaps: yes
    masterpieces: also yes!
    Keep up the great work, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Would you?

Wood eye?

With some touch-up of the paint, I decided it looked smooth enough to add decals without a layer of gloss clear first. I have settled on the decals for 6 o 119 that was flown by Hptm. Siebelt Reente, the Staffelkapitän of the 1st staffel in the spring of 1939.

The “Holzauge” unit-badge of I./JG88 was from a story involving a wooden eye.

The decals were on very thin carrier film, and gave me some challenges, resulting in some of the numbers being at an angle, but with all the jinx on this build I found it useable.

I freed the wheels and other items from the sprues, and a testassembly revealed that the wheels in these eduard 109E kits are very nice indeed!

Details added or gloss clear next? Stay tuned!

• Profile Photo

Indeed nice wheels, @airbum!
    Good progress so far!

• Profile Photo

One of the benefits of gloss color coats is skipping the gloss clear coat. I don't think the angled decals are noticeable enough to worry about, besides, in real life I don't think everything is perfectly straight. Looks great, Erik (@airbum).

• Profile Photo

Thanks @gblair and @fiveten - just a tiny bit more in a minute.

George, as you can see in a minute, I skipped the gloss clear, and went straight for the matt. I think the decals are OK in the low-angle photo, you almost have to know to notice.

• Profile Photo

Masks off

Removed the mask after a layer of matt

Had a round of painting and clear, and the masks went off before any details were added, and just thought it looked nice that way and took a pair of pictures

Not that bad IMHO

hopefully some details painted and added next – stay tuned

• Profile Photo

That's a great looking canopy @airbum!