Messerschmitt Bf 109 in Aalborg, AMG 1/48

Started by Klavs Nielsen · 19 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Aalborg, AMG, Bf 109, Luftwaffe, Messerschmitt
  • Profile Photo
    Klavs Nielsen said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Inspired by a colour profile in Richard A. Franks "The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Early Series" my next Bf 109 will be finished as black N+8 from 10.(Nacht)/JG77. It was based at one of the two air bases in Aalborg in July 1940. As regards Bf 109 I have never built anything but Eduard's 109 - now it's time for something else. I have choosen AMG's Bf 109C (AMG48721) for this build.

What makes Aalborg interesting to me? Aalborg is my hometown and my dad was raised at the gates of Fliegerhorst West, nowadays Transport Wing Aalborg. During WW2 german and auxillary troops were living in barracks in my grandparents backyard and some of them often drove my dad in his stroller. An Austrian soldier kept in touch with my grandparents and they kept visiting each other until the 80's.

H-models have released a set of decals including black N+8 (HMD48023), however based at Oslo-Fornebu. I persume it is the same aircraft as in Aalborg as the Luftwaffe used Aalborg as a stepping stone to Norway.

However there is a confusion between the book and the decal set wether it is a C or D model. I choose to believe it is a D model based solely on the number produced, 58 C's in contrary to 647 D's.

Stay tuned, the cockpit coming next...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Klavs @klavs1972!
    This is a wonderful choice: a Bf-109 we all know and love, with a particular scheme that is somehow connected to you.
    Kit contents look good, but a tad on the "limited run" side?
    Eagerly waiting for your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Does the kit comes with that PE sheet you shown in the picture? Being a luftwaffe subject and a 109 from a maker I have not seen in the box so far I’ll be following your build.
    PS- believe I also have that same (and well known) early night fighter 109 at an old decal sheet, a MSAP sheet, long defunct brand

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Great choice Klavs (@klavs1972), lets get some "Danish" 109's!

Now, why the decals have a hybrid 109 depicted is beyond me (radiator in the nose AND under the wings), but I find your thoughts on the variant very plausible. Besides, the only external difference between the C-1 and D-1 was - nothing. The C-1 had a Jumo 210G with fuel-injection, the D-1 had a Jumo 210D with carburettor, wich explains why there were a lot more D-1's. The injection was simply too advanced, only to return in later 109's with DB engines. The internal differences were restricted to the engine, engine accesories, fuel system and engine controls, none of wich should interfere with your build. Of course the C had a small advantage above 10,000ft, and that might have been a deciding factor, albeit the unreliable injection for nightfighter use has to be considered. No matter what, the externals are the same.

Sign me up to follow this build my friend

p.s. Pedro (@holzhamer - yes the PE is included in the AMG 109A-D kits - the same for them all, as well as for Dora Wings 109D that is just a reboxed AMG 109.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

For sure I am going to follow this thread as well.
    109's are my one of favorites.
    The box content looks great so I'm looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for your reply gents.

Spiros (@fiveten) Yes it is to the "limited run" side, and I am looking forward to see the fit of the kit too.

Pedro (@holzhamer) As Erik said, PE is included in the kit, and there is a resin part too, the underwing oil cooler unit

Erik (@airbum) Concerning the external difference, as far I can see the Dora has external exhaust stacks, the C model do not, and there is a difference on the hatches to the wing gun, or am I wrong?

John (@JohnB) Welcome on board!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Great choice, Klavs (@klavs1972). I really like the early model 109s and am looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Great start Klavs @klavs1972 good to see a Dora being built!

• Profile Photo

Klavs (@klavs1972), no, you are not wrong, but not correct either - to the best of my knowledge they both had the small stub-exhausts, and even some B models did have them (page 155 in "German Eagles in Spanish Skies shows 109B 6O44 with exhauststubs) and in "Die 109" from 2008 there is a 109 C-2 on page 31 with stubs too).

The hatches for the wing-mounted MG were also a feature of the C, as they had the enginemounted MG deleted, keeping the two in the cowl and had two installed in the wings. I will have to double-check if there is a difference to how they look, but some C-1's were re-engined and were referred to as D-1's after that.

In the german-language "Die 109" from Motor Buch Verlag, there are pictures of 109C with and without, and even some with mid-war school 109C's with E-like exhaustshrouds.

I will get back to the armchair and Coffee and check some of the LiF magazines by "Start", and if something conclusive turns up I will let you know. Hope this helps - no matter what you are well off by calling N+8 a D-1, so lets see more of this great choice my friend!

• Profile Photo

And back from the armchair;

The Valiant wings early 109 book does indeed state that the C did not have exhauststacks, and the D did. However on page 64 in the book there is a picture of a B with stacks, and the front end of a C with very prominent stacks. Also there is a picture on page 65, claiming to be a D, albeit without stacks.

As goes for the wings, they claim on page 133 that the D had the new "universal" wing, that could be armed with either MG FF/A or MG 17's - on the previous page it is said that the C-3 had the MG FF/A's replaced by MG17's, thus resembling the "universal" wing.

And with that, I think it is safe to say that the jury is still out on that one, and will be so in the forseeable future.

My conclusion will have to be that you are perfectly safe to make N+8 from Aalborg as a D model.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looks like a fantastic project! And when it comes to 109's, you and Eric @airbum should become rather good friends, while you leave me in the dust of 109 minutiae... (although I am learning a lot! I'm sure it'll come in handy when I ever get around to some 109 builds.)

• Profile Photo

Hi Erik (@airbum) thank you for going through the litterature on this matter, I appreciate that. There seems to no rules without exceptions...

George (@gblair) and David (@davem) welcome on board!
    Also to you Greg (@gkittinger) welcome on board too, and Erik and I we are great friends - and in "real life" too!

• Profile Photo

My pleasure Klavs (@klavs1972) - someone has to drink all the coffee. I found a picture in another book stating the plane in the picture was a B-model, but with the late shrouded D exhausts. Either the picturetext writer is way off, or as they say, anything goes. (In the same book "Your" 109 was depicted as a drawing, but with MG barrels protruding from the wing and no unit-badge, claiming it to be a C). Looking forward to the next post on this interesting build.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 6 months ago:

@klavs1972 -

The kit is a bit "fiddly" but if you take your time you will find success. Check my reviews here (and at Modeling Madness) of the AMG Bf-109B and Modelsvit Bf-109D for information that will help the project.

Just for the record, there was never an "engine mounted" weapon of any type in the 109A-D series. In fact, there was no engine mounted weapon until the Friedrich. Anything you read where the author says there was such armament is proof you are reading the work of a NON-expert (likely someone whose "research" is limited to cut-and-paste of 40 year old material).

Modelsvit, which is closely allied with both Arsenal Model Group (AMG) and Dora Wings also releases a Bf-109C-3, of which there were 15 made with MG-FF 20mm cannon in the wing, a forerunner of the Bf-109E-3/7 armament. They also do a 109D (attached a photo of my model made from the kit, and a photo of the Bf-109B done from the AMG kit - they're the same plastic, just different details).

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The fuselage

Turn the fuselage into a Dora

One of the external features of the fuselage that distinguish Bf 109A/B from C/D are the ventilation outlets on the engine cowling. The kit offer a fuselage that is a mix of the A to D model, i.e. almost possible positions of the outlets on the cowling. To make a correct early Bf 109 from the AMG kit good references and some filling is needed.

The two pictures below from David Johnson's book German eagles in Spanish skies show the position of the ventilation outlets on a Bf 109D.

To add more realism to the model the fuselage was thinned from the inside with a rotary tool and the ventilation outlets was opened.

Another external feature that distinguish the C/ D model from the earlier A/B model are the hatches for the oxygen filler and external power socket on the starboard side of the fuselage. On the A and B model are the hatches under the cockpit, but on the C and D model are they further aft of the cockpit. The picture of Mölders Bf 109D 6 o 79 from David Johnson's book German eagles in Spanish skies show the position of the two hatches.

The hatches from the A and B model was filled with putty and new hatches scribed in the correct position. One ventilation outlet had to be filled and a new opened further aft to be a correct Bf 109D engine cowling.

Now back to the cockpit