Messerschmitt Bf 109 Werke

Started by Erik Gjørup · 305 · 3 months ago · 1/48, 109, 109 werke, airbum, Bf109, Haldværk, halfworks, Messerschmitt, quarterscale
  • Profile Photo
    Csaba said 3 years ago:

I love those early variants! So far I built only one, long time ago, a Heller 1:72 scale kit. These look much better than that!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years ago:

Erik, really remarkable build so far. I guess if I ever have a question about a 109 I will send you a message! I like the early 109's alot, more than the later, but in general find it to be a very appealing aircraft. I can't wait to see how this one turns out!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Wow, what nice info and what nice conversion, my friend @airbum!
    As you might have imagined, I loved your bulge removing/opposite lqs gluing surgical operation...
    Also, I noticed the tyres at those early pics were very black! Not gray-ish, not white-ish, as we could notice in later wartime pics of Luftwaffe birds...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

My hands are shaking just watching this surgery, Erik (@airbum). Early 109s are very cool. I hate to say this, but I have a Heller 1/72 Bf-109B that is calling me. Maybe in Condor Legion markings. It certainly won't stand up to your level of expertise, unless perhaps squinting with one eye with the other eye closed. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years ago:

Erik this is a spectacular build that is highly informative. I will definitely revisit your build when attempting my Bf / Me 109's. Looking forward to the next installment.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years ago:

@airbum the sheer amount of research going int these builds is fascinating! Great post everytime I drop by!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thank you all for the kind words. A very minor update coming right up @gblair, @holzhamer, @johnb, @mvtb, @gkittinger, @fiveten, @coling, @mornem, @pikofix @luftwaffe-birdman @michel-verschuere and @holzhamer0.

• Profile Photo

Last look

I finally got around to the Tamiya 109’s again

And I know they were promised new homes last time, but the sanding of the LqS justified one more look here before headed for their new homes

I have bought some of the red Pegasus decals now sold by Draw Decals, and he kindly added them to the range after I asked, so anyone can buy them by now. It is “just” two of the Emils that are available, the V13 in the early edition, and the V14. I want to make the V13 in the later speedrecord look, but as that one did not have the registration on it will be relatively easy – just the fuselage mods and a new canopy – and the canopy is available in vacform!

Now, I have a huge backlog, so it may still be some time before these appear again – or not. Stay tuned to check

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Still good to see a little bit of progress in your 109 factory, Erik. @airbum
    For sure they will get the proper attention in their new environment.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

So cute all three of them, my friend @airbum!
    If some attention is still needed after LqS application, I usually go with normal filler, especially when I am in a hurry (which might not be the case here, but, nevertheless, I mentioned it!)...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    These 109's are definitely taking shape. I especially like how you have filled in the area where the air intake was located. These V-13 and V-14 airframes are two very important 109's that my collection is missing.

I have been doing a little bit of research on the internet about these planes, and it seems like there were some other small differences like the landing gear doors, windscreen etc., so naturally I am very interested with how our resident 109 Expert will tackle these minor differences. How are you going to make the new intakes for V-13 and V-14 ?

I look forward to your next installment. Thanks for the updates my friend, and I am happy the decals arrived safely.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Wow, Erik (@airbum). If I built three at a time I would soon have all of the parts mixed up. Can't wait to see all of them built.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Erik- Yes, this is a great post. I just checked in. Wow 109's at once!
    And thanks for your Fw decal input the other day.

• Profile Photo

Thank you gents - more will be revealed when they appear in their own logs. Just a short reply here; Louis @lgardner, I am still in the blank on the intakes, but it may be evergreen or brass tubing involved. There will of course also be some other differences like oilcooler and other issues including the ones you mention. Thanks for sending the decals! George @gblair, I have them marked in large letters on the insides of the fuselages and the cowlings - even in different colors! @johnb, @fiveten and @eb081 thanks, John they will eventually have new homes, I may go for some paintfiller Spiros, Eric I hope the Fw input was of some use to you - looking forward to the reveal 🙂

Now it is off for some armchairaviation to check up on the V13, V13"R" and V14 - and the all important coffee. I have to admit there is an itch to get these started as individual logs here on iModeler. I have been browsing some vaccuum- and pressure chambers to be able to make resinreplicas og the noses when they are done, but the jury is still out on that one. Who knows, we may be a few iModelers cooperating on such an endeavour.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Not quite 109’s

- but close enough for me

I have added a few secondhand kits to the stash, and even though, strictly speaking, they are not Bf 109’s they are based on these, even to the point of some examples of these types were assembled using original 109 parts

First up a Buchon and next a Avia S-199

And to check up on one of the subjects a book on the Avia and friends

And finally a AM kit for the Avia. I already have the SBS kit for the Buchon weapons that I hope to use on the Academy kit.

In the book there are pictures of nearly all the variations one can think off, including the “naked” first prototype C-210

There is even a great idea for another conversion – a C-10 with RATO, flames and smoke and all! Sorry to say that this very interesting rocket-powered conversion will not be on my bench in the forseeable future

I shall be making a few comparisons on the Hobby Craft / Academy plastic and hold them against Eduard 109’s later on – stay tuned for some interesting discoveries