Messerschmitt Bf 109 Werke

Started by Erik Gjørup · 305 · 3 months ago · 1/48, 109, 109 werke, airbum, Bf109, Haldværk, halfworks, Messerschmitt, quarterscale
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

James (@jamesb) Thanks for the comment - great quote!

I have just been trawling another great book, Valiant Wings "The Messerschmitt Bf 109, Early series", and they are rather consistent in stating that none of the early had the 3rd gun - however on page 179 there is an illustration of the pneumatics for a 109B, clearly showing three ends of guns, and in the original German text it is unmistakably being referred to all these systems being for either M, R or L.

I am sure I can find more unmistakable and clear evidence if I trawl further, perhaps even buy the original manuals that are available from Germany, but I rest assured that they had 3 guns in the B-series.

Sorry for not resting my case. . .

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

That's such a deep research, my friend @airbum!
    Waiting for your projects!

• Profile Photo
    Klavs Nielsen said 3 years, 5 months ago:

That's an in-depth research Erik (@airbum). Thank you my friend!

To James (@jamesb) Great quote and I like your thoughts!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks a lot Erik @airbum , for digging up all this information.
    There is so much to find about this plane, unfortunately not all is clear.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

I have a couple of early model 109s coming up in the build line, Erik (@airbum), and I appreciate your your research and knowledge. You know I am not heavily invested in absolute accuracy, so I'm sure you will hear from me when I get stuck on my 109s.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Erik @airbum, I understand and appreciate your passion. It is a quality that is to be admired. Keep with it. Keep the joy and don't respect those that tread on it. Just remember the phrase..."With All Due Respect"...the next time someone steps on your toes. Keep smiling and move on!

Klavs @klavs1972, it is one of my favorites along with one more...when someone asks what I do for a living, I just tell them I am a Highly Trained Professional. 😉

Gentlemen, Tom Cleaver or "CNN" as he has been referred as, needs to be taken with not just a pound of salt, rather a ton of salt. Meaning: Don't take his statements verbatim, scrutinize his words and validate them before believing.

This maybe a Hobby for some here, but it is a passion for others.

Respect is all that is required.

• Profile Photo

Well, not really my place to say so, but as far as I can read in the basic "About group" rules this is for (quote);

Share your ongoing work

and not really for finished builds, no matter how interesting they might be - just a friendly reminder to some, not more. (finished projects are more a headlines sort of thing) Of course we all enjoy a good build here, but lets try to stick to the rules gents.

• Profile Photo

Letting out hot air

Inspired by Klavs’ log, I decided that some idle time could be used to open vents

And so, armed with a scalpel and a drill, I brought one of the Doras with me to a place where I knew I would have idle time on my hands. I started by drilling out the back of the fuselage in strategic places, then scrabing and carving my way into the plastic

I did drill too far in one place so LqS will be used.

From the outside it was just a matter of slowly scrabing away with a fresh blade

The vent closest to the cowling got some assistance by drilling and cutting through at the front.
    It takes a long time, but as I have a few hours idle time now and then it may as well be put to use on something useful.

As Klavs pointed out one of the vents has to be closed, and that will be done when the LqS comes out.

next up it will be a checkout of a new addition to the 109 stash! Stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Great use of your idle time, my friend @airbum!
    Those opened vents look totally real!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

A lot of work that resulted in great looking vents, Erik.
    Such a precise work.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Thank you gents. It pays off to have some extra time now and then.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    I am very impressed with your personal knowledge and detailed research on the 109 type. Sadly we have an individual on here who routinely posts his "perception" on things, and touts it as the undisputed truth, when occasionally it is not. Many here believe everything he says. Most of the time he is correct, but not always, as we have demonstrated on some occasions. Sadly he has a habit of posting some things that are not truthful, even after he has been presented with verifiable documentation and or photographs showing that he is not correct. You have done so with the engine installed MG's / Canon arrangements on the 109. I just did this with his statement on how the fabric covered controls were all painted in IJA gray on the Ki-100, when there is proof these parts were painted using aluminum colored dope.

It would be nice if we could all get along and try to keep this as a hobby. It is supposed to be fun...

I just ordered a Modelsvit 1/48 scale Bf-109D kit from Sprue Brothers over the weekend. I have always been fascinated with these early 109's. When it arrives I'll probably have a few questions for you, as I do consider you an expert on the type. I wanted to build mine up as 6*9 which was a "Legion Condor" plane flown by "Vati" Molders. There is a lot of debate on the color these machines were. Were they RLM 02, RLM 63/65 or Silver ? ... What are your thoughts on this ?

The work you have done on the vents looks fabulous ! Please keep it coming... 🙂 and I'm looking forward to the next addition to your 109 Werke stash. I have become a huge fan of liquefied styrene. That stuff is the best !

James, @jamesb
    You always manage to bring a smile to my face...I love your quotes. Stay safe buddy.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the kind words Louis. Even though I would hardly call myself expert in any way, I do read the available research, and recently some actual documents has surfaced that sets a lot straight. As goes for people that insists they know all I have muted the person, and highly reccomend others to do so - and indeed mute me if I get too annoying!

Anyway, to get back on track, it is a great choice you have made for an early 109. (I suppose it is "6 79" you want - "6 9" was an even earlier 109), and when you get ready please do ask - Klavs and I both have invested in a highly recommendable book on 109's in the legion Condor, and it includes all the latest available research, even down to the maintenance sheets on the first 109 arriving in spain with details down to the date of installation of the 3rd gun in one of the 109A's - very interesting read with loads of information and great pictures. You just ask away, and if I am too slow, I am sure Klavs (@klavs1972) will be able to look the information up.

Happy modeling

• Profile Photo

New additions to the stash

Well, one new that is, the other has been hiding for some time

And the one in hiding does have its reasons for that. Lets start with “whatsit” – It is the 109T version that were intended for the mighty carrier “Graf Zeppelin”. The 109T was produced in two versions as well as a few test-planes. For more info on these there is a splendid book in German on the 109T. I’ll get back to that later.

Now, The latest addition is the brand new A&A models Messerschmitt BF.109T

Very nice box and artwork that lets us know there are Decal Sheet, Adhesive masks and Photo-etched sheet in the box

They look like this – with the clear sprue added

All very nice items I think

The decals look very nice too, and lets you choose between early and late manufacturers decals for the propellers

– The VDM props for early 109’s are actually licenced Hamilton Standard ones

The trees look rather familiar somehow

I’ll get back to that, but first;

The one from deep within the stash

Academys reboxed HobbyCraft

It says on the lid that the decals are from Cartograf

And indeed they are

Even though they only gives the option of VDM decals for the propellerblades they are very well made.

And that is it – the rest is pain and agony – perhaps except for some nice resin parts.

now, this post is long enough as it is, so you will have to tune in again to check out more details in the next post

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I love the 109T, my friend @airbum, and indeed I was really wondering how the Aademy kit scores.
    For some reason, I never bought one, but your posting started to spark some motivation inside!
    Waiting for your next postings!