Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6, Hungary V.8 63, Zvezda 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 101 · 1 year ago · 1/48, 109, airbum, Bf109, halfworks, hungary, Messerschmitt, quarterscale, zvezda
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Migrating from Bf 109 Werke

I have a “kindergarden” set up for Bf 109’s that have not yet found out what they will be

When they find out, they will get their own topic here in one of the groups, and this one fits into this group.

Some work has been done on this one as a consequence, and the initial steps can be found in the “Messerschmitt Bf 109 Werke” here https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/messerschmitt-bf-109-werke/

Now, just to recap for those that don’t want to go to that topic, here are the major parts from there;

The Zvezda kits offer a load of detail, and some of this will prove to be a bit troublesome later on.

One thing to be very careful about is to read AND understand the instructions. They are not right all the time though, and the worst hiccup is that they want you to install a seat from a 109F if you leave the pilot out – do not do that!

Simply use the seat that is supposed to be used with the pilot, also when leaving him out.

As for decals, they are a bit better than the early Zvezda decals, but thay are rather blurry in my kit. There are some nice options though, so if you can use the kit decals there will be some nice choices.

I have bought some decals from SBSmodel, and they will be used in this build, namely V.8 63

On this build I started with the engine, as it will has to be installed to hold everything together!

The kit lets you build the plane with all cowls open, and the detail will be OK for that – with some minor work (cables and stuff)

next up the cockpit gets installed and the fuselage assembled

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

This looks a rather nice scheme, my friend @airbum! Browsing the net, I saw many Hungarian 109s carrying interesting schemes.

• Profile Photo

Yes Spiros (@fiveten) my friend, they do have a lot of color to offer! Another update comin' up (but really just catching up on the "109 Werke" still - the last one though)

• Profile Photo

Read those instructions!

AND do understand them

Being used to the straightforwardness of Eduard kits for the 109, I felt in the zone and pushed forward. Wrong decision.

I read that the firewall-slash-MG-mount should go in before the rest

Sits a bit high

Well, the Zvezda plastic takes a lot of time to cure after glue, so it was forced apart again

And re-clamped

Checking that I haven’t added too much pressure

Nope – the windscreen fits.

The rudder is molded with the fin attatched, and I removed it for ease of painting and the possibility to angle it a bit.

next up the nose gets a treatment

• Profile Photo

It is amazing how things can go "not as hoped" at times you wouldn't expect them to.
    Happens to me all the time, especially at seemingly shake'n'bake kits.
    Ahhhhh, those instructions...
    Your Hungarian Gustav looks great, my friend @airbum.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I think it is really fun to take a well-known plane like a 109 and put some not-so-well-known markings on it. Makes it a totally new planes. Yeah!

• Profile Photo

Thank you gents.
    Spiros, the Zvezda kits are so full of details that they are not for beginners (They have a range of "click"kits that are really easy and well made too, but all in smaller scales)
    George, indeed it is - and the choices are many!

• Profile Photo

Nosesurgery?

The cockpit gets closed, MG’s installed and enginecowls are glued in place

With some Eduard seatblets added, a new reflector in the REVI and paint touchup, it is time to install the windscreen.

I am satisfied with the cockpit – even though some finish is to be added to the upper parts later on.

And when it was time to install the cowlings, I decided to add a pair of Master turned brass barrels.

These barrels are a vast improvement over the kit-parts that are marred by a nasty mold-line all around the barrel, even along the front where a hole should have been.

next up I will have the nosepanels installed, and perhaps some other parts. Stay tuned!

• Profile Photo

Nose assembled

thoughts on radiator-flaps

With the right panel on it looks a bit more like a 109

Even though a lot is still missing. There are some nasty gaps that screams for attention. . .

The radiators on the Zvezda kits has a strange mix of good and bad. The outlets are made so that they can only be assembled closed, even though the radiator is there, and the insides of the flaps are very nicely detailed

and the intakes are separate items that will let you assemble them fully opened, neutral or fully closed, depending on your preference. If you leave them fully open you have to modify the flaps to be open too though.

whatsnext? – tune in again soon!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

The master of 109's at work. Watching you build these is like watching an artist and his work of Art. Your experiences and of course human error at times when we assume some steps that turn out oops. I do it in bypassing a step and to return later mostly for painting purpose leave things to install later. It doesn't always work out as some design processes prevents you from doing that. I love the Master brass barrels, been using them lately. Not expensive, easy to work with. A great addition to the overall final look of any model.

• Profile Photo

Hi my friend @airbum!
    I unconditionally echo our friend's Chuck @uscusn comments above.
    Your jobs are splendid, your presentations are great tutorials, pleasantly followed.
    I love those Zvezda radiator flaps info!
    Waiting for "whatsnext"!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

This Zvezda kit is really turning out well, Erik (@airbum). The only Zvezda kit I have ever built was not nearly this sophisticated, so it has been a pleasure watching this kit come together. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thank you for the overly kind words. I have to say these Zvezda kits were some of the first I bought, being blown away by the details on the sprue. Since then I have built a few Eduard and Tamiya 109's (and a single old Revell kit). These kits are really not recommended for the first kit. I have been struggling with the fit of the parts, and the plastic is not behaving as I expected to the glue.
    Chuck, the Master barrels are really small wonders and worth every penny.
    Spiros - always a pleasure
    George, from what I hear you have another Zvezda parked somewhere down the line, and I shall be looking forward to that one.

I will just get on with some editing, and another post will come right up in a few minutes after a looong wait to get on with this one.
    (@uscusn)(@fiveten)(@gblair)

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Tips and stuff

- wingtips and some other stuff that is

Got the old Contacta glue going today, and installed the wingtips and ailerons

Now it looks a bit more like a 109

The airintake is made up of 3 parts, and with a hollow base

The hollow base makes it look a bit better that other offerings I think. Apart from sides, the third part is a full ring, and that is a very neat addition (also there to enable you to build it with a trop-filter)

next up it will be time to fit out the bottom I think – stay tuned for that (hopefully not two months away as this update was

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @airbum!