Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6, Hungary V.8 63, Zvezda 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 101 · 1 year ago · 1/48, 109, airbum, Bf109, halfworks, hungary, Messerschmitt, quarterscale, zvezda
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Love the ejector chutes, and the usual prep work for a solid paint process!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Some fellows have stated that old Humbrols behave better than recent batches...
    I am not going to comment on this, but I can definitely say that your 30yo white seems to have done the job, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Fully agree on the yellow, a difficult color for sure.
    Good idea to give it a white base, Erik. @airbum
    Also have some very old, over 30 year, Humbrol enamels and they still are great.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Paint looks great, Erik (@airbum). I haven't used Humbrol since I was a kid. I'm not sure I could remember how to pop the lids off the tinlets anymore. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thank you gents. Very short update in a minute - sooner than I had calculated, but I was on a roll today.

@gkittinger, those chutes do indeed make a difference on this kit.
    @fiveten, I think the matt ones are just a tiny bit grainy, but with gloos over them they just fine.
    @JohnB, with the white base it would seem like I can just give it two relatively thin layers of thinned yellow
    @gblair, now worries, one day we all remember what happened 60 odd years ago, but not what we had for breakfast

• Profile Photo

Farbton 04, round one

The wait was not as long as anticipated

It was sufficiently dry for yellow Farbton 04 today

Will need another round – and the fast drying xtracolor is ready for it this evening

Will I be ready as well – anyones guess is as good as mine, but after the second round it will need to harden for masking before Farbton 76 on the belly

• Profile Photo

Very nice 04, my friend @airbum!
    Clear styrene navilights look so much better than my looser attempts paint-simulate them onto plastic...

• Profile Photo

Thank you my friend. As you know, I usually modify the 109's to have clear nav-lights, and I am kind of looking forward to see if these are easy to install, tiny as they are. Time will tell Spiros (@fiveten)

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

I agree completely, Erik (@airbum) and Spiros (@fiveten). Clear wingtip lights look great, and are worth the work with some really tiny clear plastic.

• Profile Photo

04 masked, ready for 76!

After round two the yellow looked just right

And masking were added in preparation for the week-end

Looking forward to spending a bit of time in the spraybooth!

now, the job had some quite unusual challenges, and the CAA closed down “my” airport because we discovered that some trees had grown too high on a neighbouring lot. The last few days being spent in meetings and stuff, but it all seems to take a turn in the right direction tomorrow. The owner of the trees is very cooperative, and I think we are back in full business after the weekend. Now we have to see where the lockdown is going, and then it is all back to normal time to make models - yipee

• Profile Photo

Those trees saved your modeling weekend, my friend @airbum!
    Good that the tree owner is cooperative, even better that he did not decide to have them cut beforehand (in such case, by bye modeling weekend...)
    Cannot wait to see the farbtons on those 109s!

• Profile Photo

Well Spiros, happily I am forbidden to work 7 days a week, so the weekend was not really in trouble. Today we re-opened and the weather is sunny! The plan is now clear for the 76 to be airbrushed!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Looking forward for the camo, Erik.
    That yellow did came out very nice after just two rounds.

• Profile Photo

Gents, the colors continues in a minute @fiveten and @JohnB. @gblair, the lights are still some time away, but will get there. I will be looking forward to try some factory ones as opposed to my homegrown ones.

• Profile Photo

Gents, the colors continues in a minute @fiveten and @JohnB. @gblair, the lights are still some time away, but will get there. I will be looking forward to try some factory ones as opposed to my homegrown ones.