Messerschmitt Bf109 G-4 Italian Air Force, Eduard, 1/48 FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 108 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Bf109, Eduard, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 10 months ago:

The devil is in the detail

Now, having a few 109’s under my belt, and still fighting the need for precision and patience, I decided to superdetail a 109 from Eduard. The choice fell on a G-4 from the Italian Air Force based in sicily in July 1943.

This time, having decided on some open hatches, the build began with the wings! First some holes were drilled and the plastic thinned.

The fine etch-set of 109 hatches and latches were bought, and some borders added to the holes

Detailing to the back to add some (hidden?) interest

comments welcome

• Profile Photo

One step too far..

The cooling ribs on the underside are fine, but again – I wanted to add something to them. It later turned out to be one step too far.

The openings as they look – now, that seems like a fun project to open these..

First, some grinding frenzy

a few hours? later

Well – I did not quite know when to stop, and so they came out too large and somewhat deform – all part of the learning curve I guess

Improving undercarriage tunnel

Even though the belly is a bit overdone, I find the result so far rather satisfying (yes – scary music starting in the background – can you hear it too?)

Aaarrrgggghhhh
    Tamiya superthin glue really knows how to get around – fast

that’s life – a few drops and a sigh later the journey will continue

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 10 months ago:

I had a similar mishap on my 1/48 scale ICM Heinkel He-111. I accidentally knocked over the bottle of liquid glue and it covered a large area of the wings. Luckily I was able to save it.

It still needs some more sanding work done on it to completely remove the damage. I think that is why I have shelved the kit for now.

But after seeing all of these 109’s !

Now I’m having second thoughts ... The Heinkel might just end up on the work bench again soon.

Excellent work as usual. Please don’t stop the journey.

Maybe I should take some of my own advice ...

• Profile Photo

Louis - that is the best compliment ever! "the Heinkel might just end up on the work bench again soon" - Looking forward to follow that one.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Sorry to say, I love it that members here feel comfortable enough to share their mistakes, a real vote of confidence in the iModeler community. If I can find my story about a certain Ju88 (132) that I sent to Paul Barber, I’ll share it with you. A tale of woe with no parallel in the modeling world. Somewhere in the deepest darkest haunted forests of Eastern Europe there are old women who still make the sign of the evil eye at the mere thought of that poor ‘88.

Great work, Erik, lovin’ the thread.

@yellow10
    @airbum

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Here is David's story of misery and woe - I don't know how to link an individual post for thread - but here is the quote:

"Let me tell you a story about me and the Revell 1/32 Ju88. A cautionary tale, if you will, but like the faerie tales of old, it does not have a happy ending. The kind of story that old crones in the Russian steppes tell their children huddled around a winter fire, to keep them in check and safe from the dangers that undoubtedly range afoot in that harsh and unforgiving land.

Now, I don’t know if you’ve seen this kit, but it is beautiful. I spent a long, long time on this aircraft, even making hand made little blackout curtains (?!) for the cockpit, for heaven sake. The camouflage was a rare four colour pattern (see below) that you can imagine, took a lot of masking, shading, and blending.

You know I’m prone to humour, but I don’t have any sense of hubris. If anything I can be quite self deprecating. But the work I did on the camo scheme on this bird was exquisite. Really.

I returned from work one day to find that my two youngest children (12 and 9 years old at the time) had an argument and knocked the model off my bench. The result was a broken irreparable undercarriage. Now, I’m a calm person. I chided said children, made them understand how much work had thus far gone into this airplane, and they were suitably guilt-ridden. I repaired what I could and made a lovely stand to pose the Zerstorer ‘in flight’, replete with beautiful self made ‘blur props’. If anything she now looked even better.

This is not the point of my story. No.

After all this, I was at last ready to coat her in matt varnish and she looked like an impossibly beautiful bride ready for her ultimate day of days. I debated on whether to make my own wash or go with the Humbrol ‘dark grey’ wash I had on the shelf. I went with the Humbrol. I gave the Ju a coat of wash and then set about tidying up the excess. At this point even my wife said, “why are you covering the plane in all that gunk? It looked lovely” (for my wife to use this adjective in connection with a tool of war is unheard of).

Anyway, you can tell where this is going. The ‘wash’ didn’t. Wash, I mean. The wash stuck. Stuck in a way that you’d be proud of if you were replicating sludge all over your prize T-34 that had fought to a standstill in the mud of Stalingrad.

There was nothing I could do. I tried various concoctions of thinners, water, alcohol (both applied to the model and to myself). Nothing worked.

I took this thing of beauty, this expression of countless hours of my time made manifest and real, and laid her gently in the bin. Well, after thoroughly crushing her to bits.

So, when you think of the bogey man, that monster in the dark, the Keyser Soze, that whispers in your ear when you are trying your hand at finessing camouflage, saying, “just slap that wash on, what’s the worst that could happen?” Just think, ‘David’s Ju88’ and take a piece of styrene, and experiment.

And then stick it in a post and share your learning with us all, lest anyone makes that horrible, fateful mistake."

This was posted in my Rommel's Taxi thread in the Kasserine Pass group build.

@dirtylittlefokker

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 10 months ago:

They say we learn more from our mistakes than our successes. In my case, thanks to a bunch of mistakes, I must be really smart by now. I have learned a lot by figuring out how to fix a mistake. But my biggest mistakes involve liquid glue sloshed over a part that is full of irreplaceable detail. I used to think there was a 5 second rule with liquid glue: If it had been on the part for less than 5 seconds, I could wipe it off with a rag. You all probably understand why I don't use that rule anymore. :o) As Paul said above, thanks for sharing and helping us learn, and stick with build.

• Profile Photo

Keep your hat on..

As it has been decided to add detail, I am thinking that the hood will be nice with the sliding windows open a bit.

First the panes are removed -

Then some finetuning can take place

First sliding pane installed – still needs some touchup, but it looks a tiny bit better than closed – or what?

Is it over the edge? – let me know if you think so.

Now for a minor improvement

The small vent on the right hand side opened up.

Some cleanup is needed, but the journey is the fun part..

next I think it may be some navigation lights – with a small difference from my usual way of making these. Comments welcome

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Crazy man you... the sliding window pane is a nice touch, tricky and dangerous but definitly will add the extra detail. As for those small vents personally I wouldn’t go that way, simply because the end effect is hardly or not at all visible to the beholder. Give those a oil wash and they will pop up nicely. Hope you don’t mind my suggestion Erik, the build is yours so go about the way you want 😉

• Profile Photo

Pedro - thanks for all the kind advise! I still have a large "LEARNER" badge on my shirt, and all is welcome. Personally I have to admit that the washes often add too many details, but will have to experiment with that too. Thanx again.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Let there be light

Some development took place, and at some time there were a different type of navigationlight introduced.

As usual I start with drilling the bulb. No pictures of that though as it is largely the same process as on previous builds.

The drilled, painted sprue is glued in place, then filed into rough shape.

Then some finetuning can take place

Closer to the finished product.

The later version of the lights had an enlongated bulb/coloured glass, and to make this simply drill two holes close to each other and connect them before painting with thin paint.

And a taste of whats to come later on..

Next time some cockpit work. Comments welcome

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Nice job on the wingtips, Erik. Unless I am mistaken, you are concurrently building three very detailed 109s at the same time. You will probably need a vacation after these builds. Looking forward to seeing all three done.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, it is actually 11 (8 of them on iModeler) that are in progress right now! Gives me the opportunity to let the paint harden before doing the next job on any one of them 🙂

Anyway, I am considering if I should take something NOT Bf 109 from the stash to clear the brain. However with the mania going on, it is possible to dig in, but the backside of it is that you think "now that one would be nice" - with the 109's there are extremely many versions to make, not only german ones, but a lot of nations and thus variations are possible.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 9 months ago:

looking incredible! I don't think I could juggle that many builds at once, so kudos to you!

• Profile Photo

@gkittinger - thank you. It is only possible by keeping a record for each, but also allows me to keep any one process going for some time. Next problem is where to put them if ever I finish them.