Messerschmitt Bf109 G-4 Italian Air Force, Eduard, 1/48 FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 108 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Bf109, Eduard, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

The sky is the . . . color

Some masking and a bit of paint

Masked the yellow and the white areas for some RLM76 (Xtracolor)

And then away into the box to harden – will need one more layer RLM76 though, but that will have to wait till next time I get the booth fired up

What’s next? – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Coming along nicely, Eric! I love seing Bf-109s being built, with a softer spot for the "foreign" users ones! All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Thanks @fiveten - I also have a soft spot for the foreign use ones, and have agreed with my girlfriend that all the black-cross ones are hers, all the rest mine 🙂
    Stay safe!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Masked up

Got the Italian job masked up today

These days we are told to wear masks, and so the G-4 got a mask today – and I sprayed the first round of RLM 75 (xtracolor gloss).

The paint was a bit on the thick side, and will have to be re-adressed soon. Do not know if I get to it tonight or it will have the time to cure fully before the next layer. It covers reasonably well as is, but it is a bit thin in places that will remain RLM 75. I will re-check as it is in for four more layers of color and I need to keep the layers reasonably thin.

Next post will be after painting is done I think – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Great! @airbum. Your Italian Job is proceeding very well. Very obedient as to wear its mask.
    I love your RLM75.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Thank you @fiveten - stay tuned - the masks are coming off in a few moments!

• Profile Photo

Un-masking

With the last of the base-colors sprayed, the masks comes off

Final RLM 74 today before mottling – a few pictures with masks intact

And with the RLM74 barely touch-dry the masks start to come off

There are quite a layer of these, the pile of used tape is huge!

The white fuselageband remain masked until mottling is done. I then have to do the Italian overspray (and repair the RLM76 on the exhaust-shield)

Next post may be some weeks away as I will be alone at “my” airport the next 4 weeks. . . – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Mmmmmm, this looks really yummy, @airbum! Waiting impatiently to see it coming along!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great, Erik @airbum. With all of the models you are currently building, you must have a big work space.

• Profile Photo

Thank you guys - appreciate the comments!

George, I use the living room! My girlfriend loves 109's so that is not an issue. (and I have a small room where I have set up a paintbooth and keep my stash) We just built two new glass cabinets for display, and for now I keep my "in-progress" boxes in the bottom compartment of one of them - that way I can now stow them away as opposed to having them on the floor. I have a desk next to the dining table that works as an overflow site. May have to reduce my presence now that Denmark opens up again, as at present it is impossible for guests to see the room 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

The mask is on

and getting ready for some mottling

With the majority masked, it is time to start the mottle.

The Mölders 109 is also getting ready – the more the merrier?

This is the first time I mottle with the new airbrush – exciting, right? – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Awaiting eagerly, my friend @airbum, after admiring your Molders result!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Looking forward to the mottle. I never do mottle, mainly because I'm not very good at it. I like the early war camo that had distinct lines between the different colors.

• Profile Photo

Spiros @fiveten, George @gblair Thanks for the encouraging words. New post coming up shortly.

• Profile Photo

Spot On?

Or is it spots added?

Anyway, as mentioned elsewhere I had a few problems with the airbrush

It gave a burst when I shut off the paint.

Now, I did not think it looked all bad, and so it was off with the masks

With the masks off it will get some Italian grey and green mottle on top of that before it will be ready for decals.

Feel free to comment and / or write a few words to correct me, no matter what as long as it is on the subject 🙂 – stay tuned for more