Messerschmitt Bf109G-4 ”Don Pedro”, Eduard 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 142 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109, Bf109G4, Eduard, Romania
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 5 years ago:

Having built a few of the Eduard 109’s by now, I thought I might have a go at the Work in Progress group.

During my builds in the last year since I re-entered the hobby after some 30 years away, I have discovered that I had to do something to keep track of positioning of rudders and stuff. My good friend Klavs showed me his track-book where he kept dates and paints and so forth on his builds, I decided to do something similar.

I took a copy of the instructions, and on the front I draw positions of rudders etc, and on the back I put in the date when I build, a few words on what happened and what paints were used. As can be imagined this needs to be kept to be of any use, but actually it is fun having all the details available at a later date, keeping the sheets long after the actual kit is finished.

First up is “Don Pedro”, a Bf109G-4 that flew in what is now Ukraine with the Romanian Air Force.

And so the journey begins..

• Profile Photo

The office

The kit is Eduards Profipak version, and comes with photoetched parts, and so the cockpit is being fitted out with some of the cool add-ons.

The straps on the rudderpedals would quite often be anything but half-round, and so these are just a bit pressed down in the middle where gravity would bring them down due to the weight of the buckle. The paint was a testrun of a Tamiya spraycan, and I have since airbrushed Tamiya RLM66 acrylic on the items.

The stick has to be placed according to the plan, and so a spare is utilized to make the leatherfairing look right.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years ago:

Those photo etch parts really make it pop ! The rudder pedals look especially good... 🙂

I'll be following closely on this one for sure !

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 years ago:

The photoetch looks great. I have reached an age where some of the intricate photoetch is a little daunting, so I am looking forward to see you work on this kit.

• Profile Photo

I bought a radiocompartment to bring in extra detail. I know the interior here will be difficult to see, but as always – I know it is there.

It is from the Eduard BRASSIN range of superdetail kits. Being aware of the potential hazards resin-dust is said to have, care was taken not to produce dust, and so any parts needing trimming were either sanded in a waterbath, or trimmed with a sharp knife.

The level of detail is far beyond my abilities as of now, but they really bring something to the kit.

With everything trimmed, I decided to add some of the tubing and wires by copperwire, the photoetch wires being more square than round by nature.

The carpetmonster was hungry when it became time to install the fuselage framing, and Eduard was asked if I could buy a replacement photoetch frame, but no – they sent one free of charge! Well done!

Comments welcome

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years ago:

It's the little details like this that set a model apart from the rest... and that is some great customer service from the Eduard Company. 🙂 Things like this make you want to purchase things again from the same company.

These parts will look even more fantastic once you get some paint on them. Nice details... and I'll be looking forward to seeing your next installment. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanx for the kind words Louis, and Yes eduard never seems to know how to stop adding service!

Anyway - back to the build; The Cockpit got a bit closer to the finishing line the other day

Stick installed and one more layer of Tamia German Grey acrylic

The instruments are the eduard photo-etch that comes with the kit, and to make them look just a little better, they have recievec glazing in the shape of a film of Tamiya Clear Gloss acrylic. I just drag a very wet brush along the back of the photoetch, and like magic, the glass is there!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

Excellent detail, photos, and writing, Erik. Great idea to keep annotated instructions.

Enjoying this. The Eduard kit is really nice to make.

• Profile Photo

Thanx for the encouraging words David - and yes, the Eduard 109's are really great!

Now on to the job in hand;

Painting the radio compartment was next on the list.

The walls next to the opening were found to be too thick to look realistic, so off they went..

The photoetch deliveres everything you could possibly want, but none the less I replaced the wires with good ‘ol copper!

Comments welcome

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

Really, the amount of detail here is so impressive. Like a Buddhist exercise - putting all that effort into places few will see. I get it, though, it’s a discipline - and you are excelling.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 years ago:

Great looking interior. Also a big pat on the back to Eduard for providing your missing part, which I am sure you will find after you complete the build. I would never have thought that they would provide this missing part.

• Profile Photo

Thanx David - appreciated comments from a master builder

• Profile Photo

George - truly great service they have. And no - the missing part has been sacrificed to the vaccum monster by now 😉

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Read those dials

Glazing remained intact as the instrumentpanel was assembled (ever so small a drop of white glue). The seemingly milkywhite parts are reflections from the pliers.

Shine on you Crazy Diamond – sorry, Glass. Actually happy that the glass remained intact!

And that small red handle actually did not manage to escape! – one word of advice; glue it in the hole BEFORE assembling the panels – so munch easier to add glue from behind without ruining your day (and the handle)

I really do not know whats up next – this is as far as it is at present!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 10 months ago:

The detail is impressive. Good advice on the small cockpit handles. Mine seem to either get lost or left off because of frustration trying to get them to stick where they should be.