Messerschmitt Bf109G-4 ”Don Pedro”, Eduard 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 142 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109, Bf109G4, Eduard, Romania
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks folks.
    @gblair, I tend to move at least the elevator, but all positioning of moveable surfaces has to be coordinated in the cockpit to look right or else it will haunt me. . .
    @johnb, I try my best to reason whatever I do - sometimes it even makes sence!

Another short update comin' right up here.

• Profile Photo

Primed

Details and masks done, ready for primer

I got the front and aft windscreen in place (and the REVI, but that is now hidden)

There was the usual hairiy stuff that is easily wiped off – perhaps to do with the thinning of the primer?

The nosesurgery generally went well, I will have to re-visit the seam a few places

And the leading edge is in need of minor attention too

a few dots of filler and another round of primer, and I’ll be good to go with the paint!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looking great my friend @airbum.
    With the refining microfilling it will look perfect!
    The surgery went amazingly well!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

It's amazing how a quick coat of primer ties everything together, Erik (@airbum). It is also amazing how it tends to show small things that need fixing that really weren't visible before. Looking forward to the camo.

• Profile Photo

4!

RLM number 4 that is

Thank you Spiros and George – most of the roughness was actually dust created by the airbrush being too far away from the plane! It was brushed off, some minor sanding and stuff, and I went ahead with the patches of yellow.

And with that ticked off on the list, it is back to the box to cure before masking for RLM76 and so forth.

@fiveten, @gblair, this one will now be dormant for a few weeks – tune in again later

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

You did a nice job at the not so easy to achieve good results RLM04 my friend @airbum.
    It will now be granted with quite a bit of curing time..

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Starting to become a nice looking 109 again, Erik.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thank you gents.
    @fiveten, 3 weeks+ must be enough curing time 🙂
    @JohnB, sure is - and now with the well-known 76 up the sides
    Update comin' right up

• Profile Photo

Yellow masked, 76 on

Having masked the yellow areas, it had become time for some light blue

It got two thin rounds while I were at it today

That is not quite enough to hide the yellow that has spread a bit, so definitely needs one more trip to the paint shop

I am very excited to get this one done – it will be a really colorful 109 when it is finished!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Nice RLM65, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Even taken the photo while the paint is still wet, you must be in a hurry.

• Profile Photo

Thank you gents
    John (@JohnB) it looks wet, but is actually dry to the touch - it is xtracolor gloss I use - it has become my preferred paint for now.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 5 months ago:

I just caught up to your build Erik. You are quite the surgeon. Looks very impressive so far and great attention to details - like pushing the plane backwards with the tail wheel spun in the appropriate direction. Nice touch. I am curious why you installed the landing struts and that tail wheel prior to all the painting. I always break them off whenever I do that.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Already looks good with the bottom blue, Erik (@airbum). Really looking forward to the rest of the paint and the decals.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents.

Eric (@EB801), the Eduard kits sort of lean that way, at least the tailwheel, as it is supposed to be installed before closing the fuselage. I have made many strange contraptions to keep them safe, and finally came up with the ultimate solution; a cocktail stick! Works wonders towards keeping the rear leg intact! As for the mains, they are quite sturdy on these kits, and I haven't broken off a single one of them - the big secret is to let the glue set, then the fattish legs will hold their own. On the recent Zvezda kits I have left them off as it is possible, but that will let you break off flaps!

George (@gblair), doesn't she indeed. The rest may be a bit far away as I prefer to let it dry a long time before adding masking tape. An added benefit of having a lot of builds going at any given point in time.