Midway 80th anniversary duo - 1:72 ArmaHobby F4F-4 Wildcat & Flyhawk SBD-3 Dauntless

Started by Sebastijan Videc · 84 · 1 year ago · armahobby, Dauntless, flyhawk, Midway, Wildcat
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Looks great, Sebastijan (@inflames). Looking forward to the finish. My only complaint about Flyhawk ship models was that many of the the parts were too small for me to see. Hopefully not a problem with this build.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Thank you, guys!

@gblair George - I work in 1:72 and 1:700 all the time, so it's just another day in the office for me with those parts 😀 I even scratchbuilt a windshield mounted compass, Flyhawk forgot to include in the kit 😀

@tcinla Tom - Thank you for your input! Actually I found out about the interior just when I primed the model. So what I did was unmask the wheel wells and let the overspray lightly cover the interior, mainly the firewall; the later being aluminum colour and the fuselage having a black base, the interior now on closer inspection looks lighter grey than exterior. Trick save in order of accuracy 😀 Just a question - was this "engine mount", the front part on the photo, which I painted aluminum, grey as well?

Anyhow here's Dauntless in her new clothes as well

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

The Dauntless looks great, my friend @inflames!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Amazing progress, Sebastijan @inflames

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys! Extremelly hot weather, work and archery competition (one of my other hobbies) have taken a lot of my spare time this past week, but I managed to put some decals on the birds.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Decals look fantastic, my friend @inflames!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Looks really great, Sebastijan @inflames

• Profile Photo

Thank you! Looking more and more at the available photographs these aircraft weren't as weathered so I hope to finish them soon. But first some detailing work with the landing gear, dive flaps, etc.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 10 months ago:

You made fantastic work! Paintwork are great!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Paint and decals look great, Sebastijan (@inflames). Weathering looks just right. My grandfather was also an archer...very old school. He used to make his own bows, and he made his drawstrings (right word?) out of sinew. He competed in distance and accuracy competitions.

• Profile Photo

thank you @lis and @gblair

It is an interesting sport; I was always drawn to shooting things, no matter what - from a snowball to automatic rifles and anything in between. Recently a few of my friends started with archery and I joined them for fun and good company. I am still a total beginner but I don't care about scores as long as I love doing it. I am shooting traditional longbow against a 3D foam targets (usually in the shape of wild animals, but sometimes something funnier like a COVID virus target :D). I believe the string is actually called bowstring in English.

back to the project - I found an interesting video clip of VF-3 Wildcats filmed during the early hours of Midway battle confirming light weathering.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

@inflames - Everybody does Dick Best's SBD (of course!). Let me tell you before you screw the pooch that he told me several times that VB-6 handed in their old SBD-2s when they got back from the Doolittle Raid and received new SBD-3s from the Ford Island aircraft pool. These had just arrived from the factory and as he put it, "those were the cleanest airplanes I ever flew in the Navy." So outside of some exhaust staining, you're good to go with what you've done to this point.

Also, the VF-6 F4F-4s were fairly clean too, since they'd only arrived just before the Doolittle Raid.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla thank you very much for the input! I am kind of envious that you got to meet such a legend in person! I will probably add just some exhaust and guns smoke staining, a little bit of hydraulic oil leaks in the landing gear and flap hinge areas and some tiny scratches on the most heavily used parts of the aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

@inflames - Exhaust would probably be it. That airplane was only ever flown by him in combat twice - the morning strike against the Akagi and the afternoon strike against the Hiryu, after which he never flew an airplane again.

Yes, Dick was an amazing guy to know. He had one of the largest personal libraries I ever saw (two-story living room with floor-to-ceiling bookcases on three walls) and an incredible collection of jazz records.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 1 year, 9 months ago:

I've finally put both aircraft on their legs, added some brake lines to the struts and applied the final coat of semi-matt varnish which is a bit shiny for that new bird look, but will provide with enough bite for some light weathering to come later.