Miles Magister, MikroMir 1/32

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 70 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 1 year, 4 months ago:

I started this build almost a year ago, but then switched to some other kits (I think it was Harrier), just because I got a little bit tired of it. Short run is a short run, even if it's engineered in 3D. Fit is average, so everything should be double checked way before painting. One of the issues I got was instrumental panels not fitting into the cockpit without a lot of sanding. And instrumental panels are done as PE. Wing root is another issue which requires attention and some additional work. Anyway, I would like to finish it, so starting this thread.

Overal condition

The cockpit

• Profile Photo

I was revisiting included painting schemes and a decal sheet and I've come to conclusion that 1) I don't like the decals (printing quality), so I need to make masks, and 2) I would like to have some other camouflage rather than yellow/dark green/dark earth. After some research I've found this African P2399 of 451 Sqn, RAAF in the desert scheme. I've found only this one photo.

Also, RS Models gives this as one of the option for their Magister in 1/72 scale:

If I will manage to cut masks with my cutter I will go with this P2399. There should have been a standard for the numbers – size of the symbols, etc. It would be great if somebody can give me a reference to it. Also, I'm wondering about the number on the rudder and on the lower wing surfaces – should I add it there as well?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

This is an amazing entry and serious progress already, my friend @starfar! There does not seem to exist too much info on your chosen scheme, so, if nothing can be found, why not going per the RS models suggestions?

• Profile Photo

@fiveten That's the backup plan if I wouldn't get any other information. The only thing I would expect is some rules/standards for the serials. From other hand I do believe that this aircraft was repaint at field, so personel may not follow all of the rules. Anyway, if I wouldn't get anything I will use RS interpretation.

• Profile Photo

Found this pic of a Magister at a Greek airport, my friend @starfar

• Profile Photo

Interesting photo, thanks Spiros!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great choice, both, aircraft and scheme, Dmitry @starfar
    Would love to see it finished in desert colours.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, John! @johnb

I've spent this day for sanding and re-scribing panel lines. Black areas on the fuselage and wings is CA putty.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 4 months ago:

RAF serial numbers are 12 inches high, Dmitry.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 4 months ago:

RAF serial numbers are 12 inches high, Dmitry. The underwing serials would be 24 or 36 inches.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, my friend @starfar! Great use of CA putty at those nasty gaps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Good progress, Dmitry @starfar
    For sure you will solve those gaps nicely.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looks great, Dmitry (@starfar). There are some really cool paint schemes for this trainer. I built a 1/48 short run kit a couple of months ago that had some headaches, but eventually got done. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla Thank you, Tom. This results in ~10mm in this scale, so I have some chances with my cutter.

Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), George (@gblair) – thank you, mates!

I've decided to check CA-filled surfaces before the further assembly. I've sprayed Mr. Surfacer 1500, fixed some small issues, sprayed again and polished that surfaces afterwards. Now I can proceed with other parts like engine and cowling.

Also, I forgot to mention it previously, originally the kit doesn't show the line between flaps on each wing.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Dmitry Stropalov (@starfar)
    I have never seen one of these built up before. It reminds me of the PT-19 which was an American training plane used during WW2. A lot of them were used by the Canadians too.

I have found it much easier to fix the trailing edge gaps before the wings are glued on, just like you have done here. As usual, you are doing an outstanding job with this one. I definitely will be checking back here for updates.