Mitsubishi A6M Zero in Swedish service

Started by Stellan Schroeder Englund · 69 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Could-have-been, Mitsubishi, Sweden, Tamiya, what-if, Zero
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

wondering about the code - perhaps "Johan Aotake" 🙂
    Great progress here Stellan!

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Erik, you mean like in JA 37 Viggen? J for sure as it is a fighter but not what number it should be, J 12 perhaps?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Stellan, I was thinking along the lines of an individual call-sign / aircraft letter for this individual, like "Kalle Gul" - or perhaps it was the other way around? (Gul Kalle) And the Aotake would be a new color for individual letters along that line (Gul, Blå etc.)

I'm not sure what number it would have had (like JA 37), J 12 sounds like it could be right,

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Aha, now I get it. The individual call sign letters was used since late 1944 and i want this to be from before that, thus it will be a white number on the fin and engine cowling per air force standard . Gul Kalle would be the correct way to spell out the code. In short it would be gK-F16 for Yellow Kilo of F 16 wing in Uppsala.

Speaking of Gul Kalle, here you have him/her in person https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYoAEAm0Cyk

• Profile Photo

Oh isn´t that a pretty sight, what!? Ailerons, some fiddly little details and flaps on tonight. Only bits yet to go on are clear canopy parts and undercarriage. So I have a quick session of snipping a few bits and using Tamiya´s included masks in yellow tape next few days. This bird should be ready for some colour by coming weekend.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thanx for the link - I met Gul Kalle once, great stuff!
    And your bird is coming along rather nicely too! Looking forward to the three crown colors!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

This is really coming along nicely ! This fit of the parts on this kit look to be outstanding too. Well done my friend.

• Profile Photo

Yes, this is a very simple model reflecting the fairly simple aircraft it was, Louis.

What colour was the interior of the cockpit framing? Blackish blue or cockpit green? Wouldnt be surprised if it was the former...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Gorgeous looking plane it is, Stellan.
    Good luck painting it this weekend, for sure it will be beautiful.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Let me echo the above gents, Stellan: coming along nicely!
    Waiting for your painting!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looking great, Stellan (@stellan). I think it is great to figure out a hypothetical scheme for model. I think it is a lot of fun to figure out a back-story for the model, and then determine a paint scheme based on the story. I have my most fun sometimes building something hypothetical.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for your comments, guys.

Of course there is a story to back the aircraft. However, as it is based on a true story I don´t have to invent anything, it´s all there really.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 6 months ago:

This is a great looking build so far! Looks like everything just falls into place.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Jeremy. Yes, it really does fall into place, no fuss at all. Never been spoiled this way before. Really recommend the later moldings of Tamiya´s Zero. Wonder how complex Eduard would have done it... Start to think the world is divided into Eduardians and Tamiyaists.

• Profile Photo

Hmmm, oh how times flies when you don´t have to model.

Anyway,did some cleaning up the other day and today I let the airbrush roar. On top of Tamiya´s fine grey primer I did some pre shading with Tamiya NATO black along all panel lines. On top of this I sprayed a mottled coat of Tamiyas XF-12, J.N. Grey. Soon time for XF-11 J.N. Green on all top sides.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.