Monogram 1/48 C-47 to DC-3 conversion

Started by Jaime Carreon · 40 · 6 years ago · C-47, Dc-3, Monogram
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Bernard, a Gooney oil tank is 29 gallons if I remember correctly, and is installed in the upper nacelle just aft of the firewall. If you're standing in front of a main tire, it will be right above your head dripping on you! Fill ports are on the inboard side and are accessed through small doors in the nacelles to service the oil. They are held in place by two metal straps with rubber chafe strips, and are notched on the aft end for the landing gear retract strut to pass through. Here's a link to a Brit modeling site with some pics of the tanks in an Airfix C-47. Funny that Monogran didn't include them. Scroll about halfway down the page and you'll see how they're installed, minus all the plumbing and details, of course. And they didn't stay nice and shiny like that for very long!

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=409&t=43162

Chuck, there isn't much of a conversion on this one, as it started out as a C-47. DC-3's and C-47 airframes are basically identical save for the cargo door and heavier floors in the C-47's. I've got a list of differences somewhere, I'll post if I can find it.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Getting caught up on the pics. Spent a fun hour or so getting putty off the fuselage only to discover a number of small sink marks along the seams on the upper and lower fuselage. Once I take care of those, I'll shoot a coat of primer and will likely have to repeat the above process. Here's the main pieces mocked up:

Here's the modified tail. 102 didn't have the DC-3 type tail cone, though many C-47's did or had them added later. The white tail nav light and a blue formation light were installed side by side here, and if you removed the plate, you had access to the mount fittings for the glider tow hook. The blue formation light was installed, but was deactivated, as it was not approved by the FAA for use.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 7 years, 3 months ago:

Going slowly, but going! Completed the engine nacelle assemblies, horizontal stabilizers are attached and tailwheel is painted and assembled. Wings are next, and then the filling sanding and priming fun can start.

Following a tip in the diorama booklet that came with the kit, I ordered some MV lenses for the landing lights, only to find that they come one to package instead of the pair I was expecting. Frustration sometime breeds brilliance, so in this case I cannibalized an old car kit of its clear headlights, which were just the right size for what I needed. The kit molding was painted chrome silver to represent the reflector and the headlights were attached with clear parts cement. The same car kit also supplied some clear red sprue which will be used to fabricate the rotating beacons on the fin and belly.

I'll try to get some photos up this weekend.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 7 years, 3 months ago:

Didn't monogram issue a DC-3 or was it still the C-47 kit with (real spiffy) Eastern Airlines livery? I remember seeing one way back when, now that I've built a Goony, I'd like a polished aluminum DC-3! (And an AC-47 as well!)

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 7 years, 3 months ago:

They did, but since I've never built one, I don't know if it's the same kit with the same parts. Airliner DC-3's are a bit different from their military counterparts. Revell of Germany now sells the old Monogram AC-47, which is identical to the D-Day C-47 with the miniguns added and the paratroopers removed.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 3 months ago:

Josh, there was a civilian version, with a passenger door rather than the cargo doors. There was a passenger interior, also. I've never seen one built, I think it was in Eastern Air Lines markings.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Been a while since I posted on this one, but there actually has been progress. After what seemed like countless hours of seam filling and sanding, the model is finally painted. I'll post some pics and details later, but she's on the home stretch now...

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks Bernard. I've been eyeing up on the Eastern DC-3 kits on Ebay. DC-3s do look real nice in polished aluminum!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 6 months ago:

The C-47 has to be one of the most iconic and interesting aircraft ever made. My very first aircraft flight was a trip from Indianapolis to Chicago on a Lake Central Airlines DC-3/C-47 back around 1955 or 6. My Step-mom was a stewardess (now called flight attendants) on Gooney Birds as well. She called them "Leaky Centipedes."
    DC-3s just rock!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Looking Good Jaime!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 6 months ago:

The Monogram airliner kit had the civilian door on it, and passengerish seats inside, as well as the commercial airliner decals. I remember seeing an open box on one, that's what jumped put at me.

• Profile Photo

Back to the bench for a little more work. I decided to add a few details that are missing from the kit (and there are quite a few of them!), so off to the junkbox I went. My Gooney had a rather prominent red rotating beacon on the fin, so I found a piece of clear red sprue from an old car kit and fabricated one. Slotted it with a small round file to fit the fin, then polished it with s fine sanding stick. I'll use the same sprue for the rotating beacon that will be on the belly. The wing landing lights were the headlights from the same car kit. They just happened to be the right size.

The exhaust stacks were drilled out, but they were missing the ram air tubes for the heaters. These were made from a piece of 1/16 brass tubing bent and cut to shape.

The DC-3 is a good size model in 1/48, so the main colors were all shot from rattle cans. The original scheme was the USAF white over bare metal. The white is gloss Krylon Colormaster, while the silver is Rustoleum 2X Metallic Aluminum. Both have primer already mixed it, so a couple of light coats was all it took to cover the green plastic.

The striping was the difficult part of the paint job. The red and yellow stripes along the windows are Testor's insignia red and yellow. The pinstriping had me stumped for a while, because I didn't want to try to paint them, and cutting decal stock that thin would have taxed my already frazzled nerves. The solution came from a trip to Michael's for something else.

This is self adhesive striping tape for RC models that comes in various widths from 1/2" to 1/64". It's very similar to automotive pinstriping tape. I've used it before and it was the perfect solution to my dilemma. Once I had the tape applied and well pressed down, I sealed it with a coat of future.

Last shot is of the model as it is today. I'm waiting for decals for the N-numbers to arrive (thanks Frank!) as no one seems to make letter and number decal sheets anymore and all the ones I have are really old and missing the numbers I need. Props are painted as is the landing gear. The engine cowls and control surface gaps were all picked out with Testor's CreateFX black acrylic wash. Once I have the decals on, I'll do the clear coats and weathering, then final assembly. I'm still debating whether to add all the various antennas the airplane was festooned with, as they have a tendency to get knocked off every time the the airplane gets moved or dusted...

• Profile Photo
    Lee Fogel said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Wow, this looks just amazing, Jaime! Outstanding paint work and a terrific conversion. Thanks for the updates and for sharing your work. As an aside, what plans do you have for the leftover figures from the kit?

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Lee! I have no plans for the figures apart from the standing pilot, so if you need the rest of them you're welcome to them. All of the troopers and their gear are still on the sprues, and one of the mechanics is missing a hand, I think. Drop me a PM and we'll work out the details.

• Profile Photo
    Lee Fogel said 6 years, 6 months ago:

PM sent Jaime!