Monogram Classic Lockheed Constellation - Box Scale

Started by Carl Smoot · 51 · 8 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 year ago:

I just learned that I should have posted this in the groups rather than as an article so that it would work sort of like a build thread.

This link takes you to the article so you can see progress so far. From this point going forward entries will be in this Work IN Progress - Aircraft group.

Vintage Builds - Monogram Classic Lockheed Constellation
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Seems like a challenging kit, Carl @clipper
    It is clear that with your approach it will turn into a beautiful Conny.
    Looking forward to the next steps.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John @johnb. Not challenging in the sense of a difficult build, other than in poor fit of 66 year old molds. Challenging in trying to improve on the detail, but as I mentioned at the beginning, this is something I enjoy doing on occasion. I have a few old Airfix kits waiting in my stash that will require similar effort.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

Constellations are cool, Carl (@clipper). I love old Monogram and Revell kits. The only hard part sometimes is doing the scratchbuilding in an odd scale.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Amazing progress and ditto looks so far, my friend @clipper! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Thanks George @gblair and Spiros @fiveten for responding. Choosing the next model to build can sometimes be a challenge. I don't have a huge stash, but it is enough to make choosing harder. So when I get the feeling that one would be interesting to work on, I know it's the next choice. The Constellation was that way, it struck a chord the moment I unwrapped the Xmas present. My A-20 build was similar, except that I got that feeling before I had purchased the kit and went out of my way to find one.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

I've been busy with other non modeling related work, so sorry for the delay in the update. I don't have a lot to show this time. I have gotten the model main assemblies together, added some nose weight, and cleaned up scribing details.

The next step is getting the window masks ready. I had previously drawn these in Silhouette Studio for my vinyl cutter. I used the drawing I had to get the initial design. But I wanted to make sure I could positively locate the masks once I have sprayed the light blue for the windows. I modified the masks slightly to line up on panel lines. And while I made that modification, I also adjusted the positions of the window cutouts (which differed some from the model). Once I had them corrected, I cut the masks and they are ready to go. I am considering making one for the front windscreen as well, but this would have to be an entirely trial and error approach to get the correct shape, so I may just use tape for these.

I have a few other small tasks to complete before starting the painting, but the first painting task will be to spray the model with primer and make sure all the details and seams are okay. That will be soon (I hope - still quite busy otherwise).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Solid progress and superb looks, my friend @clipper! Looking forward to the painting!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

No apologies needed, Carl @clipper
    Real life needs attention too.
    Besides that you still had some nice progress.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

I'll tell you what, there is nothing better than seeing an aircraft with props turning. As I've mentioned in the past, this will be part of a diorama where the aircraft has loaded all the passengers and the ground crew is aiding the pilot in getting the engines started. I have the figures and the idea, . Now I have the simulated spinning propellers (although they still need some clean up and painting). Three turning, the fourth getting ready to start.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great idea to have turning props, Carl (@clipper). Now all you need to do is find some weird-scale crew for the diorama. Nothing looks better than a Constellation!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looks amazing, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Those spinning propellors will look great, Carl @clipper
    Great progress.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks George @gblair, Spiros @fiveten, and John @johnb. I had originally thought of doing the aircraft taxiing away from the loading area with all four props already turning, but I happen to see a video the other day of a P-3 Orion starting up and it reminded me of my Navy days. I thought this would be a better story to tell with the Constellation, so that's how it is going to work.

The scale of the kit is 1/133 and there are no figures available in that scale other than the two hostesses that come with the kit or having someone 3D print some figures at that odd scale. However, I found a Preiser set of figures for airline passengers and ramp personnel in 1/144 scale and I think they will look okay with this diorama.

I started working on the entry stairs and tractor. They still need some work before painting, but I dressed up the stairs by adding tow bars.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great idea to use the 1/144 bits, my friend @clipper!
    Looking really nice!