Monogram P-38M Night Lightning

Started by Magnus Fridsell · 35 · 10 years ago · Lightning, P-38, P-38M
  • Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 10 years ago:

Gregor! Thanks! I'll have to find my way over to your build thread soon!

Just a small update to show it on its gear! Lead weights in the nacelles wasn't even close to enough, I had to cram the front gear well full of it as well!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years ago:

Looking great Magnus. I'm a bit worried about your comments re the weight to get this bird to sit on the level. I was contemplating doing the droop snoot with the glass nose! I love the contrast on the colours on your Lightning. It looks really smart.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years ago:

Watching this with interest. That's some fantastic sheen on the finish, did you polish the paint again after rivet sanding?

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 10 years ago:

Greg! Even the drop snoot has a roomy gear well 🙂 !
    Martin! I would say it was one integrated process 🙂 !

Finally there...

Before we get to the finished model, one final "in-the-works"-photo! Monogram original canopy parts, the side screens have been cut down to be installed in the open position and the hole in the rear of the canopy has been filled in with some odd-smelling epoxy putty I found in the hardware store that gets very "structural" when set!

On to the photos! This is not a winner (though it can be done, check this one!) but considering this is a pure nostalgia-build of a nearly half-a-decade-old kit I would say it turned out quite OK. Especially if NOT seen through the camera lens 🙂 !

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years ago:

Excellent - this gets my vote! Great watching it build up too, well done Magnus, thanks for sharing.