Monogram/Revell 1/48th Bf-110G2 ”Skeletal Hand” Build

Started by Walt · 89 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Bf-110, Luftwaffe, Monogram, Q1+VB, Revell, skeletal, skeleton
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Happy to read you overcome a lot of the hurdles so far. And very encouraging that a wave that may scare a surfer is just a matter of putting the kettle on for a brave modeler 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Great build so far Walt, thanks for posting! Following with interest!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I had noticed it when I glued it together, but wasn't sure how bad it would be when put the canopy on. It turned out I would have to compress the canopy and glue in place or have a bad overhanging ledge. Stressing clear styrene is always a mistake. To solve the problem I slipped a clothes pin, or as I have seen hear a peg, in to spread the cockpit apart. Some more hot water and let it cool and it looks pretty damn straight now. Definitely a much better fit.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Very nicely solved, Walt.
    Much much better.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I love such kind of "commando" remedial actions, Walt!
    "Copied"
    Looks perfect now!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks for sharing this inspiration . I have had the nightfighter version of this kit ripening in my stash for 20 years. I just may build it soon!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Way to fix the problem! I'll have to remember that. Looking good - was just thinking I might do a 110 when Louis kicks off his Luftwaffe build.

• Profile Photo

I was pretty happy with my fix of the fuselage until I picked up the kit tonight. I seems that the hot water after drying completely had affected my flat coat in the cockpit. I was surprised since I use Testors Dullcote Lacquer, not a water based coating.

I tried brushing it off with a brush but it didn't go away, so I tested a small area by brushing in some more Dullcote. After letting it dry it had done what I hoped and rewetted the Dullcote and dried clear and flat again. Saved!

This let me glue the wings on so now the kit is basically assembled. I still have to glue on the canopy and started masking it, but the detail is so soft I need to be fresh and in the right frame to finish that job.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Nice save on the Dullcote, @luftwaffe-birdman!
    The whieness might have occured becausen the dullcote was not fully cured?
    I know some Testors take ages to effectively cure...
    Looking great with the wings attached!

• Profile Photo

Good rescue, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman.
    Maybe using demineralized water could have prevented this.
    Fitting of the wings look great, no sign of gaps with the fuselage.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 2 months ago:

This WIP as slipped under my radar until now. That’s some fine elbow grease work around some less than good parts 🙂
    Nice work on the cockpit. I too have two of this kit in the stash (even have that Cutting Edge set for the engines) but never got around to build one, so it’s good to see you tackling one, inspirational

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Phew - nice save @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Walt, @luftwaffe-birdman
    Sorry, but I just noticed this work in progress... Somehow it has slipped under the radar. I have several of these kits in the stash and now that I know this one is here, I will try my best to come back and follow along. I like what you have done with this. It is really looking sharp and I will be watching for the next updates.

Greg, @gkittinger
    I have been holding off starting the Luftwaffe group build for now, until we allow a few of the existing groups sufficient time to run their course. It has been very hard not to start it up ! Especially when I see such wonderful builds like this one. You just never know, I might pull the trigger soon... 😉

• Profile Photo

Planned on making more progress today, but goofed off in the morning and spent afternoon getting my car ready to go to the paint shop.

Still I managed to get started on painting the Props. It takes five colors to paint them completely. I started with the Black Green of the blades, and the red for the tip of the spinner. I have the white and green for the spinner and the silver for the prop hub still to go.

The main gear are painted and cleared, ready for a wash when the time comes. They are actually pretty well detailed and when glued in fairly stable.

I also glued in the air inlets for the carburetor. In case you are unaware, the starboard/right inlet is molded incorrectly. You have to cut the tube off and position it so that the slant is oriented toward the ground not the nacelle as it was when molded. This is one of the noted errors in almost any review. I drilled my openings out to thin down the wall thickness and think it makes a difference.

• Profile Photo

Great progress, Walt.
    That landing gear does indeed pretty detailed.
    Your classic car seems like it went through an impressive restoration process.
    It will look great also after getting it painted.