Monogram/Revell 1/48th Bf-110G2 ”Skeletal Hand” Build

Started by Walt · 89 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Bf-110, Luftwaffe, Monogram, Q1+VB, Revell, skeletal, skeleton
  • Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Neat subject and good looking build.

Is that a '56 Pontiac Safari in your earlier photos? My dad owned a restored '57 Star Chief, which is still in the family.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks Doug, @eydugstr, it is a relatively enjoyable build so far.

I wish it was a Safari, but it is just a 55 Pontiac Chieftain wagon. It turns out that it was one of the more expensive models from Pontiac in 55, especially since it has the power pack option on the engine (a four barrel carburetor), and factory A/C.

It is in the paint shop right now, I stripped it down to bare metal after someone rear ended me right after I bought it.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

A pity Walt @luftwaffe-birdman, but luckily you discovered it at an early stage of painting.
    Like Erik mentioned, that first coat reveals sometimes more than you would like to see.

• Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Sorry to hear about the wreck. Ought to be a nice looking Pontiac when you're finished!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Bit of a delay, but all looks great, @luftwaffe-birdman!
    Nice RLM76!

• Profile Photo

Well I have been swinging between kits, and got some paint time in on this one. The RLM 76 took a couple days to dry enough for tape so I worked on the engines for my P-61. I also painted the RLM 74. I lightened both colors with white, after which I added more white and reducer to lighten random areas a bit. I used undiluted color to high-light panel lines a bit. I need to let the RLM 74 dry enough for taping to then do the RLM 75. I like this scheme a lot, I think is should turn out pretty good when done. The nice thing about Model Master colors in the German range they all tend to dry in the semi-gloss range. Makes photographing and seeing the color variations difficult, but does make for a nice smooth finish to work with afterwards.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Oh yes, I do like the finish om the first layers Walt B @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo

Those RLM shades indeed look amazing, Walt B @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo

Fantastic paint work Walt.
    Your 110 is also coming along real nice.

• Profile Photo

Well I made a little more progress tonight getting the RLM 75 laid down, I am going to give it a few days to dry and then blend the sides in and do the mottling. Generally though I like the way the painting is turning out so far.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great work last night, Walt
    Very nice paintwork, looking forward to the mottling process.

• Profile Photo

I too love how the camo is coming along, @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years ago:

I got so into my P-61 what I thought would be a short hiatus has turned into 3 weeks. I did the mottling on the fuselage and am now ready to clear coat and decal. The camo alone will not make this kit, but the skeletal hands on the fuselage and wings will. I have to admit, its a very small thing, but I love the way my antenna mast turned out. They were wood with metal base and a metal cover on the upper half.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Very nicely done, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    The antenna mast does indeed look very realistic, the wood structure can even be recognized.
    To me the camo alone is already impressive, looking forward to the skeletons applied as well.
    A good candidate for the Luftwaffe GB I would say.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Oh, wow - yes that mast is nice, and the mottling is superb Walt!