Monogram/Revell 1/48th Bf-110G2 ”Skeletal Hand” Build

Started by Walt · 89 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Bf-110, Luftwaffe, Monogram, Q1+VB, Revell, skeletal, skeleton
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

That's amazing mottling, Walt!
    And the antenna is fantastically reproduced!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years ago:

I second Spiros opinion! Nice wood effect on the antenna. Oils?

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Ditto from me, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). Paint looks great, especially the mottling.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years ago:

A little more progress. I started to clear the model with Future. More importantly something I ordered a month ago just arrived. LMG makes jigs/fixtures for holding your model in place for building, decals and yes even painting.

I saw this on a post from somebody on Facebook and looked into it. I would recommend it. It is laser cut plywood, and goes together very well. what you see is put together without any glue, the fit is that good. It is adjustable for different size planes and high, low and mid wing mounts. For me it will also help in not breaking off antennas and such and beats the hell out of what I have been using for years.

This is used for holding Rebar off the ground when pouring cement.

Anyways Decals are next and looking forward to putting them on.

• Profile Photo

That's some cool supporting system, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!
    We live in modeling heaven, don't we? (though, the number of modelers is not rising, sadly...praise smartphones and tablets, that consume ALL of the "spare" time of youngsters...).
    Thanks for sharing this!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Thanks for sharing your positive experience, Walt.
    It does look very handy and I do recognize the breaking of external parts.
    Will have a look for this kind of fixutre myself.
    Your 110 is making great progress as well.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Very nice jig!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years ago:

Thanks, @fiveten, @johnb and @airbum, I knew I needed something better when I did the the B-17 and was having so many issues with the antennas on the Bf-110. I also know as big as this is, it won't be big enough for my next project, but it will hold sub-assemblies for me nicely. The next project will probably be one of the bigger projects I have built, and I have built the Monogram 1/48 B-29 a few times. The Wingspan I think is about 29 inches when put together.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Really looks great, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). I'm still old school and use model boxes, paint jars, and anything else laying around to prop my models on while I'm working. I really should follow your lead and get something less improvised. I have the Pro-Modeler Bf-110 that has been sitting around for a while, but your build has convinced me that I need to give it a try.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years ago:

Thanks George, @gblair, I have used my rebar holder, paint bottles, boxes, and other "fixtures" too. I finally decided to quit fighting it. I broke all the antenna's on the Bf-110, and just decided, I want to enjoy my hobby that much more by getting this fixture. There are others available, but this one will do for me.

This is my second Monogram/Pro-Modeler/Revell Bf-110. It really is overall a very good kit. Some runs had molding issues, this kit was one of them. I have another and I checked and the molding appears to be very good. Detail is good, fit is decent if you take your time. It really does build up to a pretty good looking kit when done.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years ago:

Well off to a good start. Started on the decals, and so far the decals have behaved fairly decently. My wife who rarely takes any interest in my kits, likes this one for some reason. Wish me luck with the rest of decals.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Definitely a very good start, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Perfect placement of the decals.
    Fully recognize the partner not being that interested in modelling, just occasionally.

• Profile Photo

The decals look great, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!
    Fingers crossed for the rest of them!
    You have REALLY achieved a nice, somooth and shiny prepared surface for the decals.
    Looking forward to your progress.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Well I made a bit of progress this weekend. I started with wash, but didn't like the way it was going on, so I fell back to another method I have used. I used a Q-tip dabbed it in the tubes of oil paint, then rubbed it directly on to the aircraft, making sure to rub it into the panel lines and crevices. Then I would wipe it off with a paper towel an clean Q-tips. I actually do like this method in part because the oil paint actually does stain the clear a bit giving it a bit of a filter effect on panels, as well as highlighting the panel lines. I still have more weathering to do, but am off to this start.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Definitely a good weathering start, Walt.
    I really like the outcome already.