New Spitsfire project in progress

Started by Jaime Carreon · 5 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Finishing the A-26 gave me the motivation to start the next project. From the deep recesses of the Mexican Skunk Works comes Flt. Leftenant Rif Raf and his Spitsfire in 1 / something or another scale. I have always wanted to do this one, so when the chance came to buy one, I did. Sometimes, you just can't be too serious in this hobby...

I'm taking suggestions for color schemes - leaning toward the dark green / dark earth uppers with the black and white undersurfaces. Somehow, it would just fit...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Cool project. I'd definitely go with sand-and-spinach camouflage and BoB markings! Even more so because this is a Mk. I Spitfire.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Ha, Ha, Ha! Excellent choice of Spitfire kit. I have two of these in my stash and they are great. Looks like you are off to a good start and yeah, sand & spinach definitely.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Got a little more work done on the Spitsfire. The basic airframe is done, canopy is masked and after a little more sanding work, she'll be ready for paint. I decided to do the sand and spinach scheme, with the black and white lowers, divided down the centerline.

Parts fit was so-so, and for as old as this kit is (mine was stamped 1972), there was very little flash. The base is from a local craft store and the support is a piece of 2-56 rod left over from an RC project. I epoxied a small hardwood block into the wing to fit the rod into.

Can't wait to get this one done. I am having way too much fun with this...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Looks good Jamie. I had the Red Barron kit ages ago. You need to get the Messersnitzle next 🙂