North American P-51B Mustang (Tamiya 1/48) versus A-36 Apache (AM 1/48)

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 482 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

@stephen-w-towle, thank you, Stephen.
    Good news about the seat you found for your Mustang. Primering with white for those yellow markings sounds practical. Looking forward to that.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Great that you found a seat, my friend @stephen-w-towle!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 1 month ago:

@johnb Really great job!

• Profile Photo

@lis, thank you, Bernard

• Profile Photo

First round of OD is applied. will try to creating some shading with a slightly lighter OD during the second round.

• Profile Photo

The OD looks really nice, my friend @johnb! Great idea to go for a second lighter shade coat!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 1 month ago:

The shading is really looking good, John (@johnb). You nailed the preshading.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, thank you, George. Together with a wash I think it will look quite okay. Looking forward to remove those masks of the white bars.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Looks super, John @johnb. The pre-shade really came through. The final result will be spot-on as far as weathering goes, particularly nice if you experiment with lighter shades of OD (although the pre-shade would do it for me). The Tamiya P-51B is a great kit. It was one of my first "successful" builds a long time ago ( i botched the Acc Min P-51C and had to abandon it at the same time). I don't have the P-51b on iModeler because it is a bit rough around the edges but here it is.

Doing the Tamiya P-51D now in 1/32 is really trying my patience. Even a small thing like the white ID stripes requires careful thought. I don't want to pull up the Acrylic Metal Color. I will do my white stripes after the OD, so I have paint rather than metalizer I can lay masking tape on. I will be following your fine twin build with great interest.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 1 month ago:

I've managed to prime my kit using Tamiya flat back and NATO Black . . . thinking I've found all of the boo boos and scratches. I'm sure one will turn up. I've also, been using Mission Model paints. Which are new to me and have shot the yellow stripe and the O.D. elevator as test pieces. It looks pretty good. Mission Models offers three different shades of Olive Drab which will try on this kit.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great priming, my friend @stephen-w-towle! Looking forward to the OD!

• Profile Photo

@coling, thanks a lot, Colin. Your Mustang looks amazing, I do hope mine will be close to what you achieved.

• Profile Photo

Great preperation so far, Stephen @stephen-w-towle

• Profile Photo

After a bit of touching-up here and there, the masks were removed revealing the white and red accents.

Landing gear mounted as well and the alignment seems quite okay.