North American P-51B Mustang (Tamiya 1/48) versus A-36 Apache (AM 1/48)

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 482 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Exhaust pipes were openend to make them look a bit more realistic. Started with pre-drilling of 0,35mm and further opening with 0,6mm.

This is how it looks when they are mounted.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

The exhausts look fantastic after drilling, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros

• Profile Photo

Opened up the barrels as well.

Started to apply the decals. The first one (on the lower surface of the wing) did crack, likely caused by my eagerness to get the decals on. Next one I gave a lot more time to in the water to release from the paper and that worked quite well although they remain brittle as a tiny piece came off while drying it with a cotton tip.

• Profile Photo

Looking super, my friend @johnb! Looks like these decals have reached their due time...

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 1 month ago:

That's the thing about modeling aircraft, your one meter away from crossing the finish line headed for the best build ever and a decal goes south. That "tiny part" might settle down with more setting solution later on or you can touch it up with a little paint. The majority of us on lookers will be too busy gushing with compliments to notice your fatal flaw John. : )
    I'm in the same club of noticing the fatal flaws. 🙂

I've been told by my better half that there are two states of perfection . . . your either six feet underneath the grass or you've become, what ever higher power you believe in. I hope to fail miserably.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros. The Musting will be finished just in time 🙂

@stephen-w-towle, thank you, Stephen. After some weathering, I think it will be barely noticeable, at least for the most who will be looking at the final result.

• Profile Photo

Shangri-La nose art applied. This ofcourse covers the exhaust stains partly so need to redo those a bit.

• Profile Photo

Looking superb, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

Decals look good, John (@johnb). I always forget something in the paint/weathering dance that requires me to go back and fix something.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

@gblair, thanks a lot, George. Same here, in a lot of cases I find something which I should have done the other way around, like in this case.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Count me also in for forgetting, my friends @gblair and @johnb 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

With most of the decals on she finally starts to look like Gentile's aircraft, 'Shangri-La'

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

Almost done, John (@johnb). I always hold my breath when I get this close to the end, because something always messes up. Looks great.