P51 times two. FINISHED.

Started by Erik Gjørup · 112 · 1 year ago · airbum, Eduard, Haldværk, ICM, Mustang, mustang mk iii, P51, p51c, p51d, RAF, Revell, USAF
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Catching up with your Mustang builds, @airbum. What is better than a Mustang model? Two of! them!
    Both looking great. Cannot wait to see them painted.
    All the best, my friend!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Wait no more @fiveten - a small bit of paint coming right up!

• Profile Photo

Invasion!

Time to get those invasionstripes on

First, a layer of gloss white

And a few days later when it had fully cured I measured the width of the stripes to be approximately 9mm.

As the stripes were mostly added in a hurry by large brush, I took a length of 10mm and cut along each side without a ruler.

That gives a wavy line that may be expected from hastily applied markings “in the field”, and the haste continued to this day! As with the legion Condor 109, I sprayed a layer of Tamiys White Primer to seal the tape before spraying black.

While I sprayed I noticed the paint reacting – actually it was the old white underneath that had reacted to the primer.

Well, that just gives more pleasurable build time – right?

next time I may have addressed the hiccup and painted the whole beast – even though it may be time to get a move on the eduard pony?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Paraphrasing Diana Ross's "Chain Reaction" (a reaction that went the good way), your "paint reaction" went the wrong way, my friend @airbum!
    On to more pleasurable modelling time!
    I am sure though that it will turn out magnificent, making the waiting more impatient.
    Then, Barry White's "Love theme" will play at the decks!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I am sure you just wanted some more sanding and priming time. If you are like me, these are the parts of the build that I enjoy the most. (Not really!)

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents, now I shall be all the happier when sanding and scrabing and so forth - I have a day off comin up soon, but lost two days that were supposed to be days off for the rest of the month, and next month I have already two extra weekends on top of normal hours. I really must ask the boss for that workbench. . . and a spraybooth. . . and . . .
    Stay safe out there

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Mustangs are fun projects, simple or complicated, depending on who's kit your building. In the end after the challenges, from the kit or self, in the end they are quite impressive. That is why seeing a progress from some of our peers and how they approach and address issue along the way are quite interesting and also makes us aware of any particular build challenges when we are building that model ourselves and prepared to deal with it in our own way. Paint can be a nasty little devil at times and occur expectantly. Despite prep using different brands, will at times react to each other. Will the decal solution stain the clear coat? Will this brand react with another brand, enamel over acrylic. You never know. But we love it.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

@uscusn, you are right Chuck, every single word. Thanks for the splendid comment, appreciated.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hiccup cured – sort of

Well, got most of the disaster corrected, resprayed, and masked

And with that done it was time to get a yellow leading edge.

Actually I used Humbrol gloss yellow. The yellow will get masked, and the camo will be the last, so no tape-peel later on I hope.

And there we are – another unscheduled post, so I guess you have to stay tuned to see whats up next

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

After that (past) hickup, she's accelerating again, @airbum!
    I think it will be the first Mustang to go statospheric!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Looks good, Erik (@airbum). Invasion stripes look great when done, but they are something I have always avoided. They always seemed like too much work, but after seeing yours I may give it a try.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Three shades of grey

Well, actually one of the greys are the primer

I had a joyful evening in tha spraybooth yesterday, and got around to painting two of the last colors on this little pony.
    First up was the lower part;

Then a bit of freehanding

All of them Xtracolor enamels. The gloss dries reasonably fast, and after an hour or so the first layer was dry to the touch, enabling me to add the first of the camo on the top.

This is actually my first go at freehanding a line, and I am quite satisfied. Did some experimenting with pressure and needle and stop in the dual-action airbrush, and that shows a bit, but nothing serious that will not go away as it gets some matt after decaling.

Later today it will get the green – it is in fashion to go green, and this one will be very fashionable 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Your freehanding looks nice, my friend @airbum. I am surprised the gloss enamel was reasonably dry after an hour. Humbrol gloss enamels typically take much more.
    Cannot wait for the green! It will lookvery nice I can foresay!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Did I goof up?

I have a terrible feeling that I may have used the wrong colors

What do you think? – I used Medium Sea Grey for the belly and Dark Sea Grey for the grey on top. The green is Dark Green, all from Xtracolor.

If I need to re-paint, now is the time! I think I may paint the sky band around the tail, let it dry, and then mask and re-visit the grey colors (and the green if that is wrong too)

I know pictures are not all that useable, but perhaps someone has a good reference on the british Mustangs? (I know next to nothing, and build OOB with these two)

Let me know what you think – please leave a comment no matter what you think

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Invasion stripes are evil to paint, Erik (@airbum). There is a good reference on RAF Mustang camouflage from IPMS Stokholm that I use sometime. Try them at https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2000/01/stuff_eng_profile_mustang3.htm

One of the things they point out is there was a lot of variation, especially when you throw in different manufacturers and the fact that some came from Canada, as well as the US.